1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

End of the year vacation ideas (US only)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

Looks like there are deals to PR for $500 for four days...

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

If you're going by yourself I don't know if a beach would be the best place. Maybe Vegas. Or.... Fix your passport go to the Philippines and get a tranny hooker.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Cancun would be fine to go solo.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

How are the tranny hookers there?

If you really want "relaxing" maybe go to a state park and do some kayaking/trails/zip lines etc. fun activities. Some zip courses will even have night runs with cocktail hours to mingle.

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

Has anyone done traveling by train?

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

I was hammered one night in college and loaded a cooler full of beer and took an Amtrak... It was fun

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

Train to where? How many days?

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Well just from San Marcos to San Antonio. I didn't have a plan, I just learned it was only $12 to take a train to San Antonio so I felt obligated to do it.

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

Any more feedback?

Leaning towards the Sunset Limited route on Amtrak train... 48 hours to get to Cali, and maybe ill enjoy the beach there.

11. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I've lived in san diego and LA and I wouldn't recommend it in Dec/Jan, if you want a beach experience. It's usually in the mid 60's which is still nice, but not nearly as fun or happening as it is in Sept/Oct or in March/April and in between.

Of course there is still tons to do in LA or SD, but it;ll cost you a lot more than 1500.

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I took the METRORail from Rice to UH one time. Sadly, I did not attend either school. I just wanted to experience the freedom of the rails.

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

Then maybe I could go continue the Amrak route to Seattle? I have 11 days of vacation to use... Maybe I should go halfway around the country on a train with stopovers.

14. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I second the suggestion of Puerto Rico. I loved the bio-luminescence bay (do the electric boat, not the kayak) and the historical landmarks in San Juan. There are also a lot of beaches.

I think it's a pretty cool place to be somewhere that feels 'foreign' but no need for a passport, most people spoke English, and have safe drinking water.

Next time I go back, I plan going to see the radio telescope (featured in Golden Eye) and caving.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

If you want to do that and have time to burn. I suggest you rake the grey hound bus. You'll end up going more than half way round the country and make some excellent contacts that will serve you well for the future. You get to vacation and network

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

If I only had $1000, I think I would keep it driveable. That makes about $200 a day for a room, food and activities. You could probably ski for that.

I read an article this week about a guy that did a whole luxury week in Venezuela for $100 US (no air fare, he lived there). The inflation rate is so bad people are starving for foreign currency. He exchanged a 100 Euro's for a giant pile of local bills. Great meals were like $2, great rooms $12.

This isn't the exact one I read but it's close:
    http://theplanetd.com/reasons-to-visit-venezuela/