1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Advice] Friend's iPhone stolen

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RMGEEGEE, Apr 26, 2012.

1. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

CF,

A friend of mine set her iPhone down at HEB and did not realize it until we left. We tried calling multiple times to no avail - as it was turned off.

Talked to HEB staff... nothing turned in.

We have used the iCloud service to locate the phone but unfortunately a lack of wireless connection has us playing the waiting game.

We have locked the phone and sent a message through iCloud's service.

Is there anything else we can do at this point?

And if the iPhone is to be located, is it best to contact authorities first before taking any kind of action?

Thanks.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What would the authorities do? I agree 100% that if someone finds something they should turn it in or do their best to contact the owner, but I doubt there is anything the authorities can do if someone found a misplaced phone and took it.

3. Asian Sensation

These guys may be able to help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. VanityHalfBlack

HEB in Houston??? Ain't no more iPhone it's igone for now...

5. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

HEB in college station.

Apparently self check outs have cameras. We are filing a police report so that we can potentially have access to any camera footage or transaction records. If the person used a credit card, we can attach a name to possible footage of the person grabbing the device.

Because the device was $500, we are willing to at least try.

6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Wouldn't have happened if s/he had an Android phone.

1 person likes this.
  7. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

...and so it begins.

8. blink

blink Contributing Member

crazy, i left my iphone at the HEB on texas ave in college station once. left it on the self checkout. the girl called my then girlfriend and stayed there to wait for us to pick it up. college station has some nice people.

9. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Clutchfans-
    I left my sunglasses in my hotel room this past weekend. I called and they wernt turned in. Is there anything else I can do?

10. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Should've bought a visor.

11. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

...and so it begins.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

...and so it begins.

13. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

NSFP

[​IMG]

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

some lucky guy just got a free iphone. Nice. He's probably already restored it to factory and now it's a brand new device, he's either using it right now or is selling it on ebay.

15. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

i lost my ipod at uni 2 years ago. perfectly new ipod. wat could I have done about it? pls advise.

16. Burko

Burko Member

Correct, it would still be sitting there as no-one would have wanted it.

17. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

but seriously, not meaning to be a dick about it at all, theres really nothing you can do about it now. the authorities aren't going to fret over what they would have regarded as "a random piece of metal of a phone". so there you go, nothing really you can do now except be careful in future situations. no big deal though, everyone loses a phone here and there somewhere.

sometimes though there could be some really nice people. I was at my uni's carpark once, and with my bag sitting on the top of my car I just mindlessly drove off, leaving my bag hanging back there in the carpark. then 2 hours later the uni's office called me and asked:"is your name xxx and did you leave a bag behind at uni? someone handed it in." I was like" huh? my bag? wat bag?" then i went to the office and there it was my bag sitting right there behind the counter. i was so shocked because i didn't even realise i had lost my bag. so sometimes when you come across some really nice people they'd have done a really nice deed and helped you out.

hope ur friend get his phone back

18. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

This is why I always check if my phone is on me every 15 min or so. Three pat check.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

I lock my car door when I pass through the 3rd ward.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Won't help OP, but I just downloaded an app on my Android phone called "Where's My Droid". Intended more to help find a misplaced phone, but allows you to text the phone to make it ring (even if ringer off) and another text to use the gps to get a location on phone.

Prob is, it seems you have to act fast when you think you lose the phone so that you still have battery left. My kids always seem to wait a few days before starting to search for their phones.

Getting back to the OP... I think you are hosed, but good luck getting the phone back.