1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your dream Texan NFL Draft scenario?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gunn, Apr 21, 2007.

1. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

How would you like to see the Texans draft play out next week?

I would like to see the team trade back a bit with a possible landing spot at #16 with the Green Bay Packers. The Texans would give up their 10th overall and the 8th pick in the 4th round in exchange for the 16th overall and Green Bay's second round selection.

With the 16th pick a ball hawking saftey in Reggie Nelson would be a perfect fit for a secondary that lacks a coverage safety.

With the second round selection I would look to bring in some defensive line help with edge rusher Anthony Spencer of Perdue to play opposite Mario Williams. Although undersized, Spencer is a playmaker in every sense of the word recording 10 1/2 sacks along with 26 1/2 tackles for loss during his senior year.

In the third round I would go either one of two ways: WR or CB. At wide receiver Jason Hill of Washington State would make for a solid #2 alongside Andre Johnson. Hill was as productive as any WR throughout his college career and although some suggest that he doesn't play up to his timed speed, he is tough and an excellent route runner.

At cornerback, I love everything I've seen from Jonathan Wade of Tennessee. He is a bit raw at the position and some think he is just a track star playing football, but I can't help but like what I have seen from this guy. He has okay size and decent ball skills but the elite recovery speed is undeniable.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'd love AP, Hall or Landry at 10. I wouldn't mind trading down and taking Ginn or Meacham. Especially Meacham right in front of Tennessee.

Anyone think that Jarrett may fall a bit?

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

It will never happen give the fact of how well they draft and value their draft picks, but my dream scenario is trading our first for both of New England's late first round picks.

From there, multiple guys are on the board that would satisfy my taste. I would play it on a combination of how you rate the players and what you anticipate being available in the third. i.e. good receiver/safety/corner/designated pass rusher

4. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Absolutely. He's got that "Mike Williams bust" shadow following him wherever he is right now.

5. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Texans take Joe Thomas. We're talking dream here right?

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

HAHA! That's what I was thinking. :D

7. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Realistically - Levi Brown and Ikaika Alama-Francis.

Dream - Adrian Peterson and Tony Ugoh

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Any trade down for decent value would make me happy. Save some cap money in the process as well.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

1) Adrian Peterson falls to us.
    2) Laron Landry falls.

FYI - The Texans are going to draft OT Joe Staley at #10 even if Levi Brown is available. He's an ideal LT for our system. Hopefully we can trade down and pick up an extra draft pick from another team though.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Real scenario:
    1st round - Levi Brown or Leon Hall
    3rd round - Michael Bush/Kenny Irons or Eric Weddle/Josh Gattis

Dream scenario:
    1st round - LaRon Landry or Adrian Peterson
    3rd round - Steve Smith/Sidney Rice or Ryan Harris/Ray McDonald

I rate the Texans need list like this (from highest need to lowest)

S/CB: Texans secondary is the only thing worse than the O-Line, however I would like to see the OL patched up via FA rather than the draft
    OL: Yeah, it sucks. But are there any decent tackles in the draft that aren't named Joe Thomas?
    RB: I do not trust Ahman Green to hold onto the ball, nor do I trust him to catch passes out of the backfield. We seriously need a playmaker.
    WR: Andre Davis buys us some time here, but Schaub needs as much help as we can give him.
    DT: Weaver could use some help inside.. plus we have no depth here.

#10 DonnyMost, Apr 21, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

a scenerio trading down and getting a 2nd rd pick. If peterson falls, thats when when the texans should call greenbay. Its not that i dont think peterson will not be good, i just think his shelf life is short and will be a early fumbler until he learns to lower his pad level. I know the texans wont do it, but even if a guy like branch or willis is there,call teams like dallas,cincy,and denver and get their 2nd rd. I take nelson or merriewether with the 20's pick and i come back with that 2nd rd and get Hughes from Cal and in the 3rd i take a guy like the Ramirez or the best reciver prospect.

12. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

I dont watch nearly enough college ball to really have a real opinion, but the thought of a Tedd Ginn Jr. on the opposite side of the field of AJ intrigues me a lot. All the knocks I hear about him seems to be directed as if he were to be THE #1 WR option, but he wouldn't be that here.

I think that is a BIG double threat at WR and a guy that would give you a good return game as well (without all the injuries like Mathis).

13. right1

right1 Member

Landry at #10. If not, trade down and get Meacham, Ginn or Bowe at WR, Hall or Nelson at CB/S. I think the first two picks should be DB and then WR. Maybe Gonzalez at WR in 2nd. Texans have to get a good Wide Receiver and a great Defensive Back. Draft a couple OL in 3rd and 4th.

14. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

I dream we draft a time machine and go back a year to the last draft. :D

15. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I'd love for Adrian Peterson to fall to the Texans.

16. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

17. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

AP... but it won't happen.

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just looked up the standard 'draft pick value chart'. I don't think this would be really considered a fair swap. On the basis of the charts, our 1st and 4th for their two #1's would still be slightly in our favor but if they were motivated would be close enough to get it done.

Would you do that swap? Our 1st & 4th for Denver's two first round picks?

19. Possum

Possum Member

Not only do I think this is a good possibility but I would be happy if it did happen. I have brought this up on other sites. Of course I would be happier if we drafted Adrian Peterson, Patrick Willis, Adam Carriker, Amobi Okoye or LaRon Landry but getting a guy that is taylor made for our scheme at a position that has haunted us from our inception would be okay with me.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

My dream is that AP DOESN'T fall to us, because I don't think we'll draft him anyways.

I don't want another PR disaster.