1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greater Scorer: LeBron or Melo?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Feb 12, 2010.

Tags:
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Shooting comparison (per game) according to HoopData.com. I put % of field goals assisted in parentheses.

Code:
    [B] Lebron                       Melo[/B]
    4.9/6.7 (49%)     Rim       5.0/8.2 (45%)
    0.6/1.3 (30%)    <10ft      0.5/1.7 (25%)
    0.4/1.2 (16%)    10-15ft    1.0/2.4 (23%)
    2.2/5.4 (12%)    16-23ft    2.6/6.9 (41%)
    1.9/5.1 (33%)    Threes     0.9/2.6 (89%)
    7.8/10.1       Free Throws  8.6/10.0

LeBron is much better shooting off his own dribble from about 20 feet out. He looks to have more range, as he takes nearly twice the number of threes and shoots a better percentage from there. He's also a superior finisher around the basket and at the rim. Melo has a more confident midrange game, is probably more comfortable playing back to the basket (though he does not finish well in the paint unless its a layup/dunk), and shoots better at the line.

Hot Spots:

[​IMG]

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

LeBron doesn't post up or use the physical game as much as he could/should, whereas that's a strong point of Melo's. All the same, it's hard for me to say that LeBron isn't the best at ANYTHING that he does.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Not taking anything away from Melo offensively, but I would trust the ball in LerBon's hands than I would with Melo with a game on the line.

But those stats are surprising tho.. maybe I just haven't followed Melo much at all. When it comes down to it though, I think LerBon has a higher chance of calls going his way during close games at the end.. hence more foul calls etc. I don't see the refs siding with Melo as much.

4. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Melo, he just scores in so many ways..

SWOLY WHERE YOU AT HOMIE.

5. VBG

VBG Member

As a pure scorer I would say Melo.

Lebron is a far better playmaker though.

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

If we are talking about a scorer, It has to go to Melo.

7. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Lebron scores more points and shoots at a higher percantage. Further evidence that he is the better scorer.

I do not care that the midrange game of Anthony is better. Lebron scores more and more importantly shoots at a higher FG%. So he gets better shots than the midrange shots Anthony takes.

8. RocketMania1991

Lebron is not only a better scorer, but better in every other category and he does much more for his team than Carmelo in my opinion.
    You can cite that from how well the Nuggets have played without Melo recently.
    If the Cavs played without Lebron that team is probably a near lottery team.

But if Lebron only focused on scoring instead of rebounding/assists in my mind there is no doubt he is a better scorer.

9. gotsis

gotsis Member

lebron is the better overall scorer and is probably harder to contain. melos problem is he sometimes just doesnt get into the game

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Melo is a great scorer and is a better shooter than LeBron, but in some ways LeBron is the ultimate offensive weapon. His combination of handles, speed, hops, ability to attack the rim & finish and ability to hit difficult shots blows Melo away by a mile. In fact, they blow anyone else in the NBA away.

Conclusion: LeBron is a better scorer than Melo even though Melo is a more consistent shooter.

You guys that saw last night's game should understand that LeBron does this quite often. There have been multiple games this season (not on national TV) where LeBron totally took over with 3-5 minutes left and gave the other team no chance. It's why he should be 1st, 2nd and 3rd in MVP voting. There is no close 2nd. It's almost like the Cavs didn't even miss Mo Williams and Delonte West.

1 person likes this.
  11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Yes, this is what makes Lebron great. Although, Lebron has made gigantic strides as a shooter he is still not as good as Melo. His percentages are better but defenders are always on their heels because they KNOW he can blow by them at any moment. Similar to Wade he gets great spacing on his jumpers without even needing to make a skillful move.

Melo must use post ups and an assortment of jab steps to get the kind of space a physical anomaly like Lebron gets on fear alone.

Lebron is a more effective scorer because of his other abilities but as an older role player I would trust Melo more as he has much more skill and touch.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Wow, very telling stats.

and...

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to durvasa again.

13. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

Shouldn't the subject comparison be between LeBron and Kobe? Melo doesn't really compare to Melo, maybe 2-3 yrs ago, but not now. :confused:

14. durvasa

Yeah, I could have included Durant as well.

I thought LeBron vs Melo was an intriguing comparison because they have more similar body-types and same numbers of years in the league.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

LeBron is the best player in the game, and an unmatched talent. I would say he is the better scorer, and could be scoring 35ppg, but he is a very willing passer.

16. durvasa

LeBron hits too many difficult shots, many from long distance, for me to say that Carmelo has "much more skill".

Carmelo also misses a lot of shots around the basket that aren't straight layup/dunks (30% inside of 10 feet if not right at the rim). Most of those attempts will be of the runner/floater variety, and that's a pretty good indicator of touch. LeBron is much more accurate on them.

Carmelo's midrange game is more fluid and refined. But when I see LeBron play, I see an enormous amount of skill level and touch on display.

I mean, how about this for skill?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PHjlyIGQSxM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PHjlyIGQSxM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The thing that stands out there is he wasn't trapped behind the basket and throwing up a desperation shot. He shot it like it was a regular shot, and he made it.

17. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Melo hands down. One of the two best scorers in the game, the other being Kobe.

18. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Ask Phil Jackson about it.

19. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Seconded. I love Melo, but I'm not sure anyone is in Bron's league.

BTW Durvusa, great post. You've been bringing the knowledge lately and if I would spread my rep around more I would be able to rep you. So the rest of you need to pick up the slack! ;)

20. durvasa

How about scoring in the clutch?

Below is a table indicating performance in the last 5 minutes of 4th quarters or overtimes, when the margin is within 5 points.

min: total minutes played
    pts/36: points scored per 36 minutes played
    ts/36: true shots attempted per 36 minuts played
    ast/36: assists per 36 minutes played
    ts%: true shooting %
    W-L: number of games player's team outscores opponent's team, versus number of games player's team gets outscored

Code:
                [B]min     pts/36    ts/36     ast/36     ts%    W-L[/B]
    LeBron       92      48.4     38.4       5.6      .631   20-6
    Anthony      69      31.8     31.0       0.5      .513    9-9
    Bryant       86      35.9     31.3       2.5      .572    9-5
    Durant      110      25.0     24.1       1.7      .518   11-13
    Wade         76      22.7     27.3       6.6      .415   8-12
    Billups      81      33.3     25.6       6.7      .649   12-6

LeBron dominates. Billups appears to be far and away Denver's best player at the end of close games. Wade has struggled quite a bit this year, which is atypical. He needs help.