1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Conspiracy Theories

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Juugie, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Juugie

Juugie Member

Come on guys!

You act like Yao is Michael Jordan!

For the last month, just take a look at all of the entities this board thinks are in a conspiracy to keep the Rockets from taking Shanghai Slim.

The Media
    The NBA
    The Chinese Government
    The Chinese Basketball Association
    The Shanghai Sharks
    The Knicks
    Jerry Krause
    The Warriors
    The Grizzlies
    Jerry West
    Now Mark Cuban and Wang Zhi-Zhi

Where are Mulder and Sculley when you need them!!!

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I've noticed this too...it's quite funny...especially when it's from someone who has scoffed at others in the hangout forum for claiming a liberal bias in the media.

3. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Yao Ming will indeed be the Michael Jordan of the 21st Century.......Forget Kobe, Vince, Tracy, Shaq, etc... Ming is a better marketing tool than any of those no-names when it comes down to the business side of things, and that is what it is all about in the minds of the owners!

Maybe not...I could be way off on this one!

4. Juugie

Juugie Member

If Ming was that important, teams would be offering ANYTHING on their rosters to get him. Nothing would be off the table. I mean you could get Shaq, Kobe, McGrady, Kidd - whatever.

That being said, if you'd like a really good laugh track, pretend to be the Rockets and call the Laker offices to offer them Yao for Shaq or Kobe straight up...

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I hope you are kidding. Ming probably already hit his marketing potential in China. Being good in the NBA might icnrease the pride people in China have for Ming, but not his noteriety. Besides, Centers are never good for marketing. The peole who dominate the bread and butter of basketball sponsorship; shoes, clothes, gatorade, and McDonalds, are all small guys like 2 guards. Kids don't idolize big men, they all still want to be like Mike.

6. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Maybe the advertising in other countries. But would America accept a Chinese player getting all of the attention and advertising? I doubt it. The freak show might be good for the first few months, it'll get old if he doesn't produce. He isn't flashy enough.

Kobe reigns.

7. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

You must be kidding! Have you forgotten Hakeem's H20 or his awesome shoes? He's sold a few taco's as well!!

:p

8. Juugie

Juugie Member

And don't forget about the McNuggets...

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

None of us know how all this will play out.

Doc Rocket knows we'll draft Ming. I say yes, Ming will go #1. What Doc thinks: we'll keep him. I'm not so sure, but we'll see.

What Doc knows: more calls from GMs to the Rox involved, What do you want for Yao Ming? than, What do you want for Jay?

I'm sure Ming doesn't have Jordan's talent--that's a given; who does or did have that talent?--but Ming'll make some franchise a lot of money: jerseys, TV, etc. And open a lot of doors for the team and for the NBA. So he has a lot of value.

EDIT: And no, no one's gonna offer the best players in the NBA for the guy, no. LA already has the marketing machine with Kobe and Shaq. And they're winning titles. You don't give away a known quantity in Paul Pierce for an unknown like Yao. The teams calling us, I'm sure, have high draft picks, players we might want/need (LAC, Memphis, Chicago) that can tender a semi-serious deal.

#9 ROXTXIA, Jun 6, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2002