1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Didn't see this anywhere:

July 1 Boston Herald
    James Posey chooses free agency over C’s
    0Speak OutJuly 1Boston Herald"James Posey, after deciding not to exercise the option on the final year of his contract yesterday, is a free agent with what may be one of the largest markets of the summer. The fact that there is a limited pool of teams with significant salary cap space (Philadelphia 76ers, Memphis Grizzlies) does not bode well for the biggest names (unrestricted free agent Gilbert Arenas, restricted free agents Luol Deng and Andre Iguodala) this summer, but Posey’s lower-level aims are likely to draw a bigger crowd. The Celtics forward reportedly is looking for a midlevel deal that starts at approximately $5.8 million and carries over 4-5 years...Posey’s hometown Cleveland Cavaliers are said to be putting together an offer, in addition to the Detroit Pistons, New Orleans Hornets, Los Angeles Lakers and Houston Rockets."-Boston

I like his defense, but not a whole lot else.

2. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

if the rockets got posey, it would be a terrific offseason, no matter what else they did.

he is exactly what the rockets need. he's tough, clutch, intense, and just a little bit crazy (ala artest).

3. NorCal Texan

NorCal Texan Member

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

I'd guess Boston would be interested in a S&T to get multiple players for one because of their cap situation.

Maybe a combination of Hayes + Head + Francis?

Thibs is very high on Hayes.

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2008/06/wild_rockets_ride_i_leave_town.html
    ...but Posey for the full MLE (5.8M) for 4-5 years is a bad contract IMO.

5. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I see no reason why he would want to come here.

Championship Opportunity? I think he has a good chance to repeat where he is at.

Money? Cleveland can offer more and it is his hometown.

Slim to no chance, In my opinion.

6. Pringles

Pringles Member

he was here before and he owns a business here.

not sure what his relations with the rockets were before he left... i remember we got eric piotswaski to get a cheap replacement for him. :eek:

but, even if we don't get him, his contract would be horrible. 30 million in 5 years? too much for a player thats going to decline.

7. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

he played here before, we have a good team, a good group of guys, and maybe he might want to be the guy that came in to push the team to the next level.

"so james posey, how does it feel to know that you helped get tmac and the rockets through to the second round after a ten year abscence?"

"it feels great yknow, thats why i came here, because I felt like I could be that missing piece"

not that far fetched i think.

or maybe its that i really, really want him on this team. :(

8. SweedishHamma

SweedishHamma Member

Posey is a glue guy. I love what he does, and he was a key to Boston winning. He would be somewhat redundant with Battier on the roster, but he is much more athletic and would be an upgrade. I'm unsure about the 4-5 year deal though.

9. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

Posey is a pipe dream. We can't afford him as a fa. If he hadn't opted out, why would Boston trade an integral piece for our expirings?They really don't need expirings. They would be better off using Posey until his contract expired.

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Would LOVE to have him. Doubt we can pay him, though

11. fadeawayjae

fadeawayjae Member

bring back posey he brings luck and champiionship experience

12. pandazn

pandazn Member

Sounds like another former Rocket. Except that one has like 5 rings more than Posey.

13. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Posey is a ring chaser and if we dont make any moves to make us solid contenders theres no way he's coming.

14. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Posey > Barry

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Seems like a lot of money to pay a guy who's heading toward the downside of his career.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well genius, how much do you think it would cost us to sign Posey over Barry?
    and ask yourself this question..

you think James Posey wants to get a BIG RAISE after his performance in the playoffs or do you think he wants LESS MONEY to sign with the Rockets?

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thanks for actually putting in real facts. fellow good poster.

18. eman

eman Contributing Member

Posey put some D on Kobe, made some great hustle plays, hit some dagger threes. He's a much better player than he showed when he played for us. I'd take him back.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Most people don't realize how good Posey is. He does everything Battier does. Not on a minutes per game basis but he's a guy you can bring off the bench, score a little, play good defense and make big shots. He's definitely one of the more clutch role players in the league.

20. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

agree 100%. i think he's pretty much the ideal backup for tracy. although I think his contract demands are too much, if he can be had for a reasonable price he would be a solid addition.

i think he has a bit of a motivation problem though. he played well in a contract year, but would he do the same if he's on a three year contract?