1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much hate do Muslims deal with?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Found this interesting article about the experience of Muslim in the U.S. Very eye-opening:

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-ln-women-anti-muslim-harassment-20151206-story.html

2. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

It may be eye-opening for you, but for me, it's just more anecdotal evidence that doesn't prove anything. I'm way more concerned about all of the families of victims of Islamic terrorism than I am about Muslims who may be getting their feelings hurt.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

If you are physically harassed and verbally attacked constantly that might help push some people towards radicalization.

But I guess you are ok with dismissing racism and harassment of millions of Muslims.

4. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Aren't the Jews face more hate crimes then muslims? You're going to make thread on that?

cml750 likes this.
  5. Hustle Town

This is a gross exaggeration. You're basing the "physical and verbal harassment" of "millions of Muslims" on anecdotal evidence. I don't condone any type of harassment, but I also don't believe it's as big a problem (referring to numbers) as you're saying.

Edit: In addition, today's social media culture allows for what seems like every small incident to be made public. There haven't been close to as many cases as the liberal media expected.

cml750 likes this.
  6. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Exactly, if you're more worried about islamophobia then islamic terrorism then you're part of the problem.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I think this statement says a lot about how much you dislike Muslims

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

why can't we be worried about both? So one has to post a thread on terrorism and hate towards Jews before they can talk about islamophobia? WTF?

9. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

So much tolerance from our muslim friends

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GYSe2pV-Ht0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

as an exmuslim I dislike Islam very much.

cml750 likes this.
  11. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

My statement is a fact btw.

12. Hustle Town

The only data I could find showed that anti-Islamic hate crimes have remained relatively stable since 2002 and total less than 200 offenses per year. In a country of almost 320 million people, that's a very small percentage. Thus, my point is that we aren't seeing this wave of hatred against Muslims. Are there crazy and insensitive people out there? Of course, but there will always be people like that.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Muslims commit more hate crimes against Jews than the other way around.

By far.

cml750 likes this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I don't see why we have to make a comparison to Jews - what does it matter if it is more or less. Could be that way because Muslims are less likely to report, or that there are 3x as many Jews than Muslims, or that many of the Muslims living here are more difficult to identify as such. It's also very underreported and the DOJ estimated that is by 20-30 fold. Regardless, this isn't about Jews are suffering more so we shouldn't talk about anything else - it's as if that is your entire debate!

My point is only that there is a relationship to terrorist attacks and Islamophobia, and I also wonder if there is a reverse correlation as well.

[​IMG]

CLearly shows that hate crimes against Muslims have increased dramatically since 9/11 and too early to tell if that isn't an upward trend.

15. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Are we really dismissing the fact that racism is wrong?

You can be concerned about your safety and also think the things happening in this article are wrong

1 person likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Hey another fellow ex-Muslim! Sup. I think I'm past the "I'm angry at everything related to Islam and Muslims' stage that you currently are in.

Also as a former Marine vet, I can assure there definitely is an irrational hatred of Muslims that really irks me especially with my former peers and the veteran community in general. I've heard some really scary rhetoric from those I served with it. When I state that my mother's Muslim, they tip toe around and back track and state "O, I didn't mean your mother."

17. Hustle Town

Can you please post the DOJ study showing that it's actually 20-30x higher? Because that sounds like speculation just like the rest of your points.

18. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Isn't sweet Lou a character in a movie?

19. Hustle Town

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think this last graph especially illustrates an important point about the kinds of people who are prejudiced against Muslims - they typically lack much formal education.

20. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Most people that have any type of prejudice are probably poorly educated.

The basis of all prejudice inherently lacks fact and logic, regardless of who it is against