1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

21 Years Ago Today.......

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ima_drummer2k, May 20, 2016.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

Jontro was still non-existent. But I could feel the excitement as a spirit floating around the universe.

2. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I was at Bigboymumu's house. We pretty much won us that championship with our pre game and halftime rituals. I had my lucky Mother's Day balloon that I had to punch at the beginning of each quarter and my required halftime piss. Bigboy had his lucky Nachos and Capri-Sun... I think we also had left over Kabobs too (this wasn't a requirement but it helped).

I never wanted to take anything away from the players but I feel like 20 plus years later it's time to finally take credit. Good job Jeff.

3. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I watched that game as a teenager on my little Montgomery Ward 9" Portable TV in my bedroom.

[​IMG]

I could hardly see what was happening, but it was nerve-wracking nonetheless. The Elie shot was not a great decision considering he left time on the clock, but it all happened so fast, there was no time to get angry

And Kevin Johnson had 46 points. I forgot how badly KJ used to torch Kenny Smith every time we played them. (And Gary Payton and Derek Harper and every other top point guard)

4. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Closest Rockets team to 21 yrs ago would be the 07-09 team that won 22 straight regular season games and took the loaded Lakers to 7 games with key injuries. That team was the best and enjoyable to watch.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]21 years ago today, the Rockets tasted championship glory

If you were born on June 14, 1995, you're old enough to legally purchase alcohol today.

You also entered the world on a momentous day in Houston sports history.

Twenty-one years ago today, the Rockets won the second of their back-to-back NBA championships, sweeping the Orlando Magic with a 113-101 victory at The Summit. That capped a remarkable playoff run, as they were the first No. 6 seed to win a title and also were the first squad to beat four 50-win teams in a single postseason.

It's the last championship for a Houston pro team in one of the big three sports, and only the 2005 Astros have played for a title since then. (Sorry Dynamo fans, soccer may be big globally, but it hasn't reached that status in the U.S., so the Dynamo's championships, while deserving recognition and praise, are not on par with MLB, NBA or NFL titles.)

While the Rockets haven't exactly been roaming the wilderness in the 21 years since Hakeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler and company won it all, the franchise certainly hasn't made as much noise on a national level.

The Rockets' regular-season record since winning their championships? It's 932-742, good for a .557 winning percentage. Only the Spurs, Lakers, Mavericks, Heat, Jazz and Thunder (counting their Seattle predecessors) have better records, and all of those teams have been to multiple Finals since 1995.

However, Houston, has won all of six playoff series (compared to eight during their two championship runs). The Rockets went 18 years between appearances in the Western Conference final and didn't win a playoff series from 1998 to 2008, and then didn't win another series until 2015.

So you 1995 championship babies have a happy birthday and hope for your children to not experience a similar drought.[/rquoter]

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Man, Suns fans must have really hated Barkley when he was traded to the Rockets but I was not reading any news at that time, just watching Rockets games I could find.