1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Mid-20s Rant (Quarter-life Crisis?)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KDJ3, May 17, 2016.

1. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

I'm 25 and just started a new job about 4 months ago. I don't dislike the job; it makes me pretty decent money for my situation and I have the potential to move up in the company in the future (not to mention having the time to post a privileged "oh what should I do" thread on this great forum). All of that is great, and yet I feel unfulfilled. I find myself daydreaming of working at summer camps, Bible school, Disney World or overseas. My fiance says that she is open to that kind of lifestyle (probably low to middle-low income), but every time I bring it up she does what she is supposed to do, which is ground me in the facts that it would be a difficult lifestyle. I just can't help but get the feeling that she is too afraid to do something like that. I feel that we are at an age where it wouldn't be debilitating to at least give it a shot, but I also don't want to tie my future wife down to a life in which she isn't going to be comfortable.

Just wanted to rant and see if any of you can relate/have gone through this kind of situation and hear your stories.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'd say screw it and do what makes you happy. Take a chance, 1 or 2 years is not going to kill you. Maybe afterwards you can return back to your "boring" lifestyle making better money.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You should both work on a cruise ship.

4. conquistador#11

before you know it you'll be 34, posting about fictional boobs in the hangout thread. Whatever you enjoy doing, do it now.

1 person likes this.
  5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You are very optimistic about your life expectancy.

1 person likes this.
  6. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

I'll never be concerned about fictional boobs, thank God!

7. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Well if I was speaking literally about my life expectancy, I'd say I'm a little past mid-life crisis.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Summer camps, Disney or bible school? Cleverly disguised I want to become a Catholic Priest thread.

9. conquistador#11

it must be the aspartame in diet cokes, but back in the day brehs lived longer. Enoch, around 360 years. Noah, 900 years and he was into extreme water sports.

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

You are very pessimistic about your life expectancy.

2 people like this.
  11. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Find a job that will afford you the means to travel. Since I really hit my stride in my career 4 years ago, we have been to Europe, Asia and South America for vacation time. Before then, we were lucky to take a car trip every now and again to Austin.

In due time, my young friend, in due time.....

1 person likes this.
  12. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

That's the way my fiance thinks and I appreciate that line of thinking, it's just a matter of getting into that mindset myself.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What do you do now? What exactly are you wanting to do instead? "Working at summer camps, Bible school, Disney World or overseas" is kind of vague.

1 person likes this.
  14. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

I work for an engineering and construction company.

I suppose I would say that it varies and that maybe I'm just trying to find myself. I have always wanted to work for Disney. But right now I'm feeling the pull of just serving in some capacity, be it in ministry, camp retreats, or missions overseas.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

It's not all about money for many.

Do what makes you happy.

1 person likes this.
  16. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Lots of overseas jobs in that industry. Possibly even at your company. Ask about a transfer or even a temp posting at a project. Harder to do once you're older and settled. Volunteer on the side too if you want.

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

You can definitely still serve via ministry and oversees missions all while keeping your current job. Often times those things won't cost you anything but your time. If you're a man of faith, which it seems like you are, your calling will make room for itself in your life. So order your steps and let the plan unfold.

18. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Thank you, gentlemen. Talking it out has definitely given me some perspective. That's why I love the CF community!

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Seems like you could do a lot of this stuff without interfering with your job.

Keep your job and do what you really love on nights and weekends. Balance is the key to a happy life.

20. TL

TL Contributing Member

I went through the quarter life crisis and gave up a good income so I could go to b-school to find a job I would really like. I got that job (which Had the benefit of paying well) only to find out I didn't love it after a few years. I identified what I liked and what I didn't and found a better job. That job has gotten really stale after a few more years.

Now I'm over a decade past where you are, and contemplating a change to a very different lower paying job or to a higher paying job that has similarities to my last two. Even though I always planned to make as much money early on so I could do whatever I wanted later, it's really hard to give up income now.

Kids who get to do stuff I never did growing up, cool home in a great neighborhood, vacations when I want, financial security...

I keep checking boxes off my list, but keep adding things to the list. Now I think about building wealth for my kids and their kids. So I'll probably forgo the opportunity to do something very different at a lower pay so that I can make more and hope that my kids will be In a position to do what i am not.

Interpret this story one of two ways:

1) You may not actually really love the job you think you will, so put yourself in a position to enjoy the stuff you know you enjoy (vacations, making your family happy, material stuff, whatever)

Or

2) Get out of the rat race before you get too deep. Because their really isn't an exit.

I'm not sure which is the right answer. But despite dissatisfaction with my gig, I'm pretty happy with my life, so I lean towards lesson #1.

Good luck

#20 TL, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
    1 person likes this.