1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian ban "Namaste" from Georgia schools

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, May 15, 2016.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I always find it funny when people complain about Judaism, and even Islam (europe is another matter...) in this country. There is a "war on christianity" apparently. :rolleyes:

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aHbuc98NvAo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sounds like Ebonics. Ebonics should not be part of any curriculum.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Well, some of the quotes in there make fair points. If you're going to ban overt Christianity, why allow Eastern mysticism?

"Namaste" seems harmless to me. Its a greeting used to say "hello", like you said.

But then there's this:

http://www.yogajournal.com/article/beginners/the-meaning-of-quot-namaste-quot/

I can understand parents reading that and wondering why their kids should be exposed to this just for some breathing/stretching exercises.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, it is more than hello but hot rich chitlins love them some namaste in yoga class. Georgia's loss.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Misleading thread, typical of the OP.

Parents of one school had an issue with the yoga practices. OP implies every school in GA is affected.

OP refuses to use reading comprehension skills and instead copies and pastes misleading headlines and further adds inflammatory verbiage to his thread title.

I understand every news reporting agency is sloppily misusing the word "banned". The word namaste has been removed from their yoga program, its not banned from being used.

If you can't create threads responsibly, dont create them at all.

1 person likes this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the OP will always get owned by the 99ers , who always stand for the truth and justice in the world.

good job brother for spotting the amateur

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The "s" at the end was a typo. I know it is just one school. Whether it is one or 4 or whatever doesn't matter or affect the point in this thread. Stop trying to derail thread on a typo that doesn't impact the argument. Namaste is not just for Yoga practices and they banned the word's use in the school as well as Yoga. So you are the one with a reading comprehension issue. Typical.

It really isn't more than hello. It is actually not considered religious at all and is the equivalent of saying, "Hello". It's ancient meaning no longer applies when it is used as a greating. It's like saying a coach shouldn't use the term "Hail Mary" pass in football and it should be banned from describing a play because it may indoctrinate kids into Christianity.

So unless they ban "Hail Mary pass" from the football program, this is totally ridiculous.

9. Space Ghost

Please source it. And I will apologize.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

http://www.11alive.com/news/educati...or-mindfulness-yoga-after-complaints/96838332

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The parental comments are pretty sad, just so ignorant. Anyway, pretty cool that schools are teaching kids ways to release stress.

12. Space Ghost

Dude. That isn't a source. You are only repeating what a so called journalist state in their news article. That is no more legit than sourcing a user on a forum.

Also found in the same article:

That is a legit source. The same source every other journalist should be using instead of plagiarizing other inflammatory articles. Please highlight where the word "banned" has been used. Please highlight where the word has been banned from being used in school.
    In fact, it explicitly states the word will not be used during the practice of yoga. There is no conjunction that may allude it will not be used anywhere else.

Perhaps you should give an apology.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Muslims ban homosexuality, and in 10 of their countries it's punishable by death...

Muslims incite violence over a cartoon...

...and you pick this battle to fight

14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Here's a video about demon people:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZbZBX2lgWUg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

"To keep reading, please enter your email address."

No thanks

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I forgot that it's ok to be a racist if you aren't Muslim. I have a right to defend my culture against ignorance.

How is that any more legit than what I posted?

You think the school is just banning the word "namaste" during yoga and yet it's ok to use it during class? It's banned.

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

bigotexxx sees foreign word he doesn't understand, instantly relates it to Muslims, and a collective groan is heard.

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

no religion or worship of any kind in schools unless it's worshiping 'MERICA!!!

19. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Namaste literally translates to "the God within me recognizes the God within you"

A mandala is a coloring chart of geometric and symmetrical patterns that represents the universe. I have participated in programs that taught mindfulness, inner peace, and gratitude using eastern methods to youth.

Some ignorant parents would ask if it was yoga, others would pull their children for religious reasons.

Lol with the Muslim talk. It's henna tattoo craziness all over again.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It actually translates more to "I bow to the spirit/soul within you" - the god within you isn't exactly right as Hindus don't believe god is within you but rather the divine is one and the purpose of spiritual life is ultimately to join with that.

Which is why this whole thing is ridiculous because Namaste actually has nothing to do with god - it's just westerners using weird translations of something that isn't part of their universe.

Furthermore, no one in India and no Indian thinks of it as a religiously associated word. If you ask any Indian what namaste means, they will tell you it means, "hello". That's what it translates to. It only has this additional meaning because some Yoga people want to add that by going back to the original sanskrit.

It's like saying "hello" is what you use in English to greet someone, but then someone says, "Hey but in Latin it means something different which I don't like because there is a religious connotation - so let's ban that word"