1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Sportscenter

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SirCharlesFan, Jun 16, 2001.

Tags:
  1. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Oh my god...Rudy T was actually on the "Greatest Coach Since Auerbach" poll on ESPN Sportscenter...

too bad he got dead last place with only 3.8 percent of the vote.

Phil won with like 51.8%.

------------------
    Who's ya daddy?

2. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Rudy gets my vote. Was Don Chaney one of the choices?

------------------
    Fuggetabout it

[This message has been edited by bigboymumu (edited June 15, 2001).]

3. WhiteMagic02

WhiteMagic02 Member

Who were the others??

------------------

4. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

Chuck Daly, Pat Riley, Lenny Wilkens, Phil Jackson, Rudy T., and possibly Larry Brown

------------------
    President of the (the Rockets first pick in the draft) fan club.

5. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

Most overrated coach?

Survey says...Pat Riley.

His answer to every problem is another 3 hour workout.

Lose the Grecian Formula and the hair glue, Pat. It is soooo uncool.

------------------

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Gee, I wonder if Rudy could have coached the Jordan-led Bulls or the Shaq-Kobe Fakers team? Does anybody know if Jackass can build his own team from the ground up? Easily the most overated coach ever.

------------------
    When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.-
    Albert Einstein

7. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

8. Band Geek Mobster

I remember on NBC they were discussing the differences between Larry Brown and Phil Jackson and they brought up a quote from Jackson himself saying that he's a closer, like in baseball.

That comment made me think more about where Jackson should rank amongst other coaches in the league. In baseball it's possible for a closer to be 1 of the best pitchers in the game, but hardly ever is a closer considered THE best pitcher.

I think Phil Jackson's one of the best closers in coaching, he's been able to help push 2 teams over the hump and win multiple championships. He's not the best coach though, I think Larry Brown and Rudy T are the best coaches in the league.

Pat Riley and Phil Jackson are on the next level. I would have included Riley with Brown and Rudy, but after that choke job his team had this year I can't include him with the top 2.

That's my take, Phil Jackson is a great coach, but not the best coach because he's just a closer, in his own words...

------------------
    Hey, it's the wizard! I hope you don't get nervous like last time. We wouldn't want you to... "wiz" on someone!

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited June 17, 2001).]

9. carlit0

carlit0 Member

Band.. I agree.

------------------
    "Instinctly u recognize things,now take advantage of what u just recognized!".. Hakeem..

10. Toast

Toast Member

I think Don Nelson belongs somewhere in there too. I like the way he's always trying something new & innovative. Sure sometimes it doesn't work, but at least he's taking new approaches to the game.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

11. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

Bill Fitch has always called himself a "builder, not a maintainer."

He was responsible for helping the Celtics and Rockets back to the Finals.

Didn't get much done in LA, but with the their owner there is not much anyone can do.

------------------

12. haven

haven Member

I think it depends on what you want.

If you just care about strategy... it's going to be Larry Brown, Pat Riley, Jerry Sloan, and Don Nelson.

If you want a great people person, you might want Rudy, Phil Jackson, or maybe even Doc Rivers (too early to tell).

Different guys are right for different teams. I don't think you can say "once size fits al." Good thought, though, BGM... but then, Eckersley did win the Cy Young, right?

------------------
    Lacking inspiration at the moment...

13. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

I'm a Rocket fan, but you people are pathetic to think Rudy is better coach than Phil. There is no way the Lakers will be playing the way they are now with Rudy coaching. The zen master has a way to get into players head to make them play at a higher level consistently. His players are better prepared for games and he makes adjustments better than any coach in the league. Rudy's teams are always playing on a up and down level. They only play if the game is a measuring stick, after that they go right back down to comfort zone. What's Rudy response to that "I guess it's Human Nature" This is one of the reasons why Rudy coached teams will never be able to dominate the league even if they had a championship team. Everybody always talking about Phil took over a good team. Look at Portland, that's a dream team over there and look what happen. Give the man credit, Phil is a great coach, Rudy is not.

------------------

14. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Yeah , no doubt. Phil Jackson doesnt know what team loyalty is. I could have coached the Bulls. Here is my playbook

Play 1 : Give the ball to MJ

Play 2 : See Play 1

Playbook for the Lakers. Replace MJ with Shaq. Throw in a little Kobe for flavor. Thats how you get 8 rings...

------------------
    Go Rockets!!!
    SS

15. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Phil is good at coaching great players and wearing nice suits. Who couldnt coach a great player? Give him the ball... Phil is a great coach. No Doubt. But a coach is more than a guy who moves team to team when they are drained...

Build...Motivate...Excel

------------------
    Go Rockets!!!
    SS

16. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

it helps a big deal when the players you got are certifiable All-Stars in their prime and possibly the greatest in MJ and most dominant today in SHaq.

Rudy T. might not have the kudos that PJ has but what he did in 94 and 95 is a testament to his own unique way of doing things. Might not be the prettiest but hell it got RESULTS all over it.

Yes PJ is a great coach the greatest coach in terms of timing his departure to coincide with a vacant position at LA. In fact you won't get arguments from me. If he was real man he'd stay at Chicago and see what he can do.

Rudy if he wanted to could have coached LA. But it is a tremendous measure of the man that he stayed to rebuild the Rocks. Which by the way is ahead of schedule.

SO don't come here a "supposed fan", knocking Rudy T. when he could have done a PJ and left the Rockets for dead.

Rudy T. is a great coach.

BTW you wouldn't be related to PJ would you?

------------------
    "The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till the other is ready." -HDT

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Actually that playbook failed for several years.

------------------
    "I had mine chewed off by a boss one time." -- Behad leaves us wondering if he gets hazard pay...

18. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

Don Chaney is a former NBA coach of the year.

------------------
    "UNBEATABLE"

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

so is Bill Fitch...lol

20. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

How could anyone dispute that Rudy's not a great coach?

I guess Dream's not a great center while kareem "the one trick pony" is. [​IMG]

------------------

I have seen much of the rest of the web. It is brutal and cruel and dark. CC.net is the light.