1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

10 of the biggest blunders in Rocket history

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by buzz1701, Jun 21, 2016.

1. jspeck7322

jspeck7322 Member

How bout in 08 when we drafted Batum then traded him for Darrell Arthur and Ray Lewis w a Basketball.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Could of had McCray AND Clyde AND Jordan, if Rockets pulled trigger on the Sampson trade. But Sampson was rookie of year and looked like he was going to dominate league for a long time.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agree with most of your responses but both Clyde and McCray were 6'7. Clyde was the more productive college player too, not even close. And I was a McCray fan.

Pippen needs to on this list TWICE. When he was signed AND when he was traded.

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

In recent history alone you can find 10+ big blunders:
    - Lowry, Dragic & Lin debacle
    - Not developing / keeping Patterson / Morris
    - Royce White
    - Chasing Carmelo & not making Lowry a priority
    - Signing McHale
    - Re-signing McHale
    - Extending Brewer
    - Josh Smith
    - Drafting Sam Dekker
    - Not trading Dwight
    - Not getting any serious 3pt threat
    - Ty Lawson
    - Beasley (for the sake of what, 8th seed?)

* Signing D'Antoni TBD
    * Chasing Durant TBD

1 person likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Asinine to place Smoove and Beasley on this list.

6. OTMax

OTMax Member

3pt chucker who cannot hit FTs, bring him back and then not play him..Beasley is a chucker, not a good 3pt shooter and brought here to improve our winning now. Should've just played KJ.

7. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Eddie Griffin for Richard Jefferson and change has to be in there somewhere

Surely top 5

8. Sanity2disChaos

1A)

Openly calling players assets and in turn not even being able to collect and quality of said assets....ridiculous.

This offseason is gonna suck big balls.

9. mightybosstone

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but how do people still not remember that the Rockets would not have Harden if they hadn't traded him to Toronto for a lottery pick? That should be common knowledge for all Rockets fans at this point and should not be on any list of mistakes the franchise has made.

10. mightybosstone

Also, how about drafting Marcus Morris over Kawhi Leonard? I was very excited that draft night when Leonard slipped to the Rockets and then got very drunk when Morey chose Morris instead. I've never been more right about a draft decision in my entire life.

11. Sanity2disChaos

Crazy thing is plenty Mock drafts had us taking Kawhi leonard!! I swear the mocks drafts pick better players than Morey:rolleyes:

12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

In no particular order

Brent price
    2001 draft( look at the players the rockets passed up)
    Scottie pippen
    TY Lawson
    Taking bryce freaking drew over rashard Lewis
    Kelvin Cato
    Not trading Sampson to select Jordan
    Morris over Leonard
    Dantoni
    Getting rid of free parking

13. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

What about Rudy Gay for Battier?

14. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

If I remember correctly didn't YAO HAVE to play for China? Wasnt that part of him being allowed to come play in the NBA?

15. mightybosstone

I think this is right. Plus, I don't think it's fair to say that the Rockets "allowed" Yao to play international basketball. If a player wants to represent his country in international play, that's that player's right to do so. You don't see other NBA teams preventing athletes come participating in the Rio games.

16. mightybosstone

I still don't see that as a huge mistake. Gay was a better basketball player at his peak than Battier, but there were few players in the league that have been more overrated in the last decade than Rudy Gay. He was never particularly efficient, and he has warranted near-max contracts for most of his career. He probably would have left after a few seasons, and we'd talk about how much that guy sucked in Houston. Meanwhile Battier became one of the most beloved Rockets of the last 20 years. I'd call that a win.

17. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

If we draft Drexler over McCray do we still get Olajuwon?

18. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

No.. But if I recall correctly the trade that was on the table was Clyde AND the 2nd pick for Ralph. We do that trade we have Clyde then pick up Jordan and we would have had a nice little dynasty.

19. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

What I meant was the 1983 draft we select Sampson 1st and McCray 3rd, hometown kid Clyde Drexler falls to 14th. People call that a mistake.

But if we draft Clyde with the 3rd overall in 1983, I i thought we would be too good to get the 1st in 1984 to select Olajuwon. But it looks like McCray was even with Clyde their 1st year so never mind!

20. joeson332

joeson332 Member