1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. beardsanity713

I couldnt find the a KJ thread if posted already pls lock

K.J. McDaniels played only 33 minutes over the course of 10 games once the Rockets acquired him midway through his rookie season, and he hasn't seen much more action during the follow-up campaign. Thus far, he's made just five appearances for a total of 30 minutes—hardly enough to get a sense of what he can bring to the proverbial table.

This offseason, he signed a three-year, $10 million deal, and it wasn't just to sit on the bench when he wasn't suiting up for the NBA Development League's Rio Grande Valley Vipers. It was to bring his intensity to the court of the Toyota Center.

Since his brief stint in the D-League, McDaniels has played in only two of four possible games. He entered a blowout loss against the Boston Celtics on Nov. 16 with his team down 25 in the fourth quarter, so those were meaningless minutes.

The reprise wasn't any more significant, as he came into a Nov. 20 loss at the hands of the Memphis Grizzlies down 20 points in the third quarter, eventually exiting in the fourth when the margin had been halved.

McDaniels hasn't really received an opportunity to prove himself since he was with the Philadelphia 76ers, submitting highlight-reel defensive plays like the ones you can see above and below.

During his rookie year out of Clemson, he helped the Sixers allow just 103.9 points per 100 possessions when he was on the floor, which would've been good for the league's No. 11 defensive rating. That mark rose by 1.7 when he was on the bench or the Rockets roster, and that discrepancy isn't a context-created fluke.

According to NBA.com's statistical databases, he's consistently given scorers fits during his brief career in the Association:

K.J. McDaniels' Lockdown Defense
    Season Opponents' Typical FG% Opponents' FG% Against McDaniels
    2014-15 44.2 42.1
    2015-16 39.5 25.0
    NBA.com

For whatever it's worth, he was also an impact defender in college.

During his final season with the Tigers, he led the ACC with 3.1 defensive win shares, per Sports-Reference.com, and his defensive rating placed him behind only Virginia's Akil Mitchell. His defensive box plus/minus (7.3) trailed only the marks earned by UNLV's Khem Birch (8.2), Arizona State's Jordan Bachynski (7.8) and Georgia Tech's Daniel Miller (7.5), looking at all players who logged at least 1,000 minutes in 2013-14.

His point-preventing prowess should carry over to some extent. It already did in Philadelphia, and he's created some highlights in Houston as well.

McDaniels might not give the Rockets the offense they need, but Harden and Howard should eventually pick up the slack. Defense is a more dire desire, and this young wing has the ability to not only protect the rim and win some individual battles, but also to provide some hopefully contagious levels of effort.

Not every team in need of a spark has one like this waiting patiently for a legitimate opportunity.

2. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

3. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I politely disagree. We don't need worse shooters right now.

And I say this as someone who hopes KJ will be a player.

He needs to spend the next year shooting 600 3's a day.

4. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Expect to get slammed on this. But there's zero reason I see why he's not given a shot.
    He impressed whilst with the 76's. But he's being wasted with us. And why?
    Is he simply trade bait for something bigger and better? A big name?
    There have been plenty of other young players brought in to the Rockets who weren't given a shot (right or wrong) who have left. Some have done OK and others for the most part have not. So I've got to trust the coaches decision as they've proved right in most cases.
    But based on the little I've seen of KJ be it 76's, interviews etc I see no reason why he's not given more minutes, especially given the performance of our so called superstars this season. And remember KJ was the priority for Morey over Josh SMith!!!!
    If he does well - then it's great for the Rockets. If not, then cut/trade him. Don't waste him and do nothing!

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Or imclude him in a trade and make sure to get back someone who can actually hit threes, can also defend, and isn't practically a rookie.

[​IMG]

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

On what planet is he a worse shooter than Brewer??

Just give him Brews minutes already.

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

He's going to be alright and his time will come but right now is not it. He needs to mature and right now the way our leaders/ Superstars are playing and acting, there is no reason why he should be out there. Right now we need maturity to smack the maturity into these kids.

8. hakeemthagreat

KJ needs to play if Brewer struggles again. KJ's a defensive playmaker and virtually a highlight waiting to happen on the fastbreak

9. OpenLayup-Why3?

How soon they forget...

...K.J. looked unbelievably terrible during pre season. Almost as bad as all time worst Dekker. Until preseason I was questioning why K.J. didn't play last year and after pre season I don't want him to play at all this season too. He's too far away from being NBA player. He can only do chasedown blocks. That's about it. He does nothing what NBA guard should do.

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

Earth

11. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

I liked the pairing of Harden and KJ as our guards during the Memphis game. I would like to see more of that rather than these two point guard sets.

12. joxford

joxford Member

plus KJ is so bored in D-league that he is grabbing shots out of mid-air.

13. beardsanity713

agreed 1000%

14. hakeemthagreat

I'm not sure we watched the same preseason. KJ showed some promise IMO. Your criticism of KJ is strictly on offense. Defensively he's a perfect fit. After watching our defense lately, I can't understand how one can feel he can't help us.

15. beardsanity713

Nahh ive watched him play some of the best perimeter defense on the team besides Ariza... he is freak athlete who dosent need shots to be effective...just play him with some of the starters to cover of some his deficiencies... at least he can finish layups and dunks unlike brewer... i mean what else do we have to lose at this point...play the man... and if he is trade bait at least showcase him so other teams can gain interest

16. ibm

ibm Member

this thread just reminds me how pathetic the rockets are as a team atm.

hope they can somehow end this funk asap.

17. hahachui

hahachui Member

KJ is better than Brewer.

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Brewer has been awful. Beverly has been injured. Terry has been old. Lawson hasn't been all that.

KJ should get his shot to prove he sucks.

19. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

The boy can't shoot.

If I'm a rookie head coach with only one shot, I'm hedging my bets on the proven players. I can't be risking my future on trying to develop some rookie.

20. Exiled

Exiled Member

He should be paired with Harden , no need for true or fake PG . His D is better than what a healthy PB can bring , his shooting on bar with Ty.