1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Higher Education] Another TMC Campus, $1.5 Billion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Wow, this seems ambitious.

[rQUOTEr]The Texas Medical Center has ambitious plans for a new Houston campus

[​IMG]

The Texas Medical Center hopes to transform the area — and itself — by developing a new 28-acre campus complete with retail, a hotel, shared research space, and maybe even its own transit line.

Right now, the proposal is still largely conceptual. The TMC hasn’t figured out how to fund the vision, dubbed the “TMC3 Innovation Campus,” and officials have said it could cost $1.5 billion.

...[/rQUOTEr]

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Good location and nice idea but I doubt so many institutions will get on the same page. This is especially true now that UT purchased that other property in Houston.

I'd love to see something ambitious like this happen to the old astroworld grounds

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

This is why healthcare is so expensive. This is what Non profit hospitals do, spend their profits on extravagant buildings.

4. MystikArkitect

Non profit hospitals, churches, schools....

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Spend a few weeks in a hospital . . . .. . .

Trust me plugging people in closets and bunk beds don't help the healing process at all

Rocket River

6. shastarocket

It is early in the process, but I got the impression that the campus will mostly focus on research and being an entertainment option for the area.

There’s gold in them thar hills!

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Much better use of money than a new stadium for an already-super-rich pro team.

Even non-profits have to compete in the marketplace with for-profits.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pfizer just merged with Allergan for $150 billion dollars for a company that already makes more profits than GNP's for a lot of countries.

THAT is why healthcare is expensive.

9. Xerobull

There's three types of healthcare- ambulatory, such as walk-in clinics and ERs, non-ambulatory, which require an overnight stay in a hospital, and at-home care.

Ambulatory and at-home care are relatively cheap barrier to entry, and that's where the hot competition is, and why prices in that arena are going to stay lower.

Hospital stay is where the big boys are, hence the merger, and that's where prices are high- lack of competition. But even that area is growing. UTMB is building two new hospitals in Galveston County alone.

Overall, we should see prices stabilize and probably come down once the Affordable Healthcare Act goldrush era slows down.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Drug revenue and insurance company denials (profits) exceed more and more of what hospitals actually bring in as income.

UTMB is only building one hospital in Galveston (and that's mostly a replacement/update for the existing one... which will basically become an OB/pedi facility after the new one is completed)... and the surgery-center/Dickinson facility is to try and serve the clear lake area inhabitants, but it won't be a full-fledged hospital with all resources.

11. Xerobull

What's all resources?

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its a short-stay facility. less than 72 hours.... basically just for people having minor surgical procedures and babies.

Any serious medical/surgical condition or prolonged admission will be transferred to a real hospital.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

From what I've been told, it will be many years before anything can be built on the former Astroworld grounds. It's apparently highly contaminated.

14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Contaminated from what though?

15. shastarocket

Tears