1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Yao Buzz May Help Lure Free Agents

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JeffB, Jun 2, 2002.

1. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao buzz may help Rockets lure free agent
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2002 Housto

The Rockets got a new shipment of Yao Ming tapes Thursday. Yao's representatives sent them, so the Rockets had a pretty good idea what they would find.

Still, it was fun to watch the Chinese center make 21 of 21 shots in a game, take jump hooks with either hand and offer far more low-post strength and style than that Chicago workout could begin to suggest. No surprises. But it was a pretty good way to spend part of the day.

But across town, the buzz about Yao had reached Houston-based agent Carl Poston, who represents Houston-based free-agent forward Rashard Lewis. While politicians posture and the Rockets' front office dances, Poston has considered what Yao will do for the Rockets and, perhaps, for his client. He felt the excitement in town. He imagined the Rockets' improving prospects.

"I would love to see Rashard here," Poston said. "This has put Houston back on the map. There's a lot of factors that go into consideration. But this would have to be something Rashard looks at."

The Rockets' business side has been doing handsprings, often with politicians who should have zero input. Cuttino Mobley popped off Thursday, suggesting the Rockets should deal the top overall pick in the draft for the Clippers' Lamar Odom, who is too great a risk in his own way.

Both need to get used to the idea that the Rockets' basketball people -- remember them? -- will choose Yao to play basketball. All that celebration stuff is fine for May. The trade rumors that circulated last week were amusing to the Rockets because virtually every conversation with anyone in power to make a deal has postponed any real talk until Chicago this week.

It doesn't matter. The Rockets will expect just the right superstar for Yao, and they are not about to get that. He will be taken for his talent to play center.

Poston's reaction could be the next benefit.

The Rockets had been looking at a summer of trying to sell free agents on the idea of joining a team that won 28 games and has no money -- other than the roughly $5 million, mid-level exception -- to spend.

They might still not be able to afford Lewis, who could get far more than the Rockets can offer from the SuperSonics. Poston said Lewis wouldn't be interested in the mid-level exception. But Poston's hometown view could be indicative of how the Rockets' image changed as soon as the right ping-pong balls popped up at the draft lottery.

As for Lewis, an ideal fit for the Rockets, it will be tough. But now he will have to think about it.

"As an agent looking out for Rashard's best interest, you have to look at all the factors and see what kind of impact it would have on my client," Poston said. "Having the No. 1 pick, the more they're committed to winning and being a contender, the more benefit it would be to my client.

"Having a big man will maybe put more focus on having a three. Having Rashard would maybe make them a contender. Every player wants to win a championship ring, to find the best way to do that and to be compensated for it. Those rank very high. (Playing in Houston) ranks third."

The rest of the free-agent class at small forward -- Bruce Bowen, Devean George, Matt Harpring (a restricted free agent), Donyell Marshall, Walter McCarty, Tyrone Nesby, Scott Padgett, Rodney Rogers and Bryon Russell -- is a step down.

But while the Rockets watch tape and imagine Yao in their colors, they might be able to daydream about landing him some help. And maybe even Mobley can join the chorus.

Around the league

Deep draft
    -- The Rockets went through much of the season with little interest in adding two more rookie first-round picks to their roster. There was even hope they could settle with the Grizzlies, to whom the Rockets must send a first-round pick (their own pick or someone else's lottery pick) by next season.

That was before they dug into evaluating the talent in the draft.

The draft order following the first seven or eight picks will be unclear until after the scouts and general managers trade rumors in Chicago. But the draft seems deep well through the Rockets' 15th pick. Two seasons ago, they held the ninth pick in a draft that seemed to drop off after eight. This season, players who will be considered by teams picking ninth or 10th, maybe as high as seventh or eighth, could fall to 15th.

Nickoloz Tskitsishvili of Russia, Jared Jeffries of Indiana, Amare Stoudemire of Cypress Creek (Orlando, Fla.) High School, Maybyner "Nene" Hilario of Brazil, Kareem Rush of Missouri, Melvin Ely of Fresno State, Bostjan Nachbar of Slovenia and Jiri Welsch of Czechoslovakia could all be considered much earlier. Tskitsishvili could go as high as No. 5 to Denver.

But there would be little shock in having any of those players slip to 15. The problem the Rockets could face is finding another power forward, say Stoudemire, available at 15 and having to choose between the most coveted long-range prospect available and a player who better fits the need at small forward.

-------

Knock it off

The knocks that circulated about Yao Ming have slowed. But an interested observer offered that maybe they never should have been taken seriously.

"I think the fun part is going to be seeing what people really think about him," NBA commissioner David Stern said. "It wouldn't be the first time that evaluators of talent have suggested that someone is worse than they actually are. It's one of those places where absolute truth is not expected to be part of the job."

Given its new romance with Hornets owners Ray Wooldridge and George Shinn, New Orleans is apparently one of those places as well. But we might never know what anyone other than the Rockets truly thinks of Yao.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/1435706

#1 JeffB, Jun 2, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2002
  2. carlit0

carlit0 Member

Very nice article!!!!
    Thanks

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good to see that the Lunatics (Steve and Cat) are not running the asylum.

Once Ming starts rebounding their misses and passing back out, and closing down the middle on defense Cat and Steve will hop on board the Orient express.

DaDakota

4. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Sounds like Lewis might consider coming to the Rocks for the 5M exception. We would love that.

Then who do we pick with #15???

I say best player available and not a SF in this scenario.

5. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Superkev,
    I wouldn't get my hopes up about Rashard. It sounds like he's looking for money and we don't have it, although I don't doubt a genuine interest in playing for Houston, all things being equal.

6. gradyr

gradyr Contributing Member

"It's one of those places where absolute truth is not expected to be part of the job."

What a lovely way to say that everyone is lying their asses off. :cool:

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

6 posts since October 1999 :).

Regarding Lewis, as I posted in another thread, I would love to see him in Houston. But I think it is totally unrealistic. In my opinion, the main reason his agent makes that statement is to put pressure on Seattle to shell out the max.

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

SJC -

By now, you know that you & I are in 100% agreement on the difficulties of Rashard being a Rocket.

That said, woudn't you love to have a mutual friend with Rashard and hear what Lewis confided to that friend about Mings game? I'm talking real feelings and not journalistic BS.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Of course I would love that. I just don't want to get my hopes up too high :).

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

In 3 years, Rashard will be, what, 24? He still has time to make bigger bucks on another contract.

11. Axeman

Axeman Member

I would love to have Stoudemire. That guy is a sick athlete.

12. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

Flashback- who'd we pick instead of Rashard? Kenny Thomas? I can't remember. ugh

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Dickerson, Drew and Turkcan.