1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How we could be selling free agents on Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheFreak, Jul 6, 2012.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Credit to J.R. for this tweet:

I can't help but think that if Leslie Alexander wasn't Leslie Alexander, Rudy Tomjanovich could be giving these sort of 'presentations' to prospective free agents for the Rockets. Instead, he scouts for the Lakers.

Recall how inspired Kevin Garnett, Gary Payton and co. were after Rudy's opening speech to the players prior to the 2000 Olympics:

Yes, I know that Miami has much more to offer than the Rockets do as far as winning goes. But Allen took half the money Boston was offering him, and he went to the Celtics' biggest rival. I recall Riley being instrumental in assembling Miami's Big 3 as well, and the team was terrible prior to that.

The bottom line is, why is this guy

[​IMG]

scouting for the Los Angeles Lakers at this stage of his life, when he could be working in some capacity for the team and city he dedicated most of his life to?

The only answer that makes sense:
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. Pringles

Pringles Member

Bring back Rudy T!

and also Calvin Murphy.

3. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

I think the dude who own Landrys... Need to buy the rockets from the junk man..... Les is the new Al Davis

4. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Tweets and iPads baby! Tweets and iPads!

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm sure if it weren't for Pat Riley doing a good presentation Ray Allen wouldn't have just signed to be part of the NBA champions featuring the best player in the NBA and 2 of the next 20 best fresh off their impressive handling of the Thunder. I'm sure it really took Riley being "impressive" in their meeting.

6. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

You want Tillman Fertita to own the Rockets? I am not so sure that would be a great idea.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Rudy became a scout for the Lakers because he requested it to Jerry Buss from what I recall reading. He wanted to stay tied to basketball instead of simply "retiring off into the sunset". Buss did that favor for him.

Also, I don't think he's with the Lakers as a scout anymore, but I could be wrong. He and his son wrote and maintained statistical analysis software for the Lakers (ZOMG! basketball analytics?! say it ain't so, Rudy!) for a while and still may do that, though I'm not sure.

As for Allen, he went there to win another ring and probably to get the hell away from Rondo - that's it. Teams like the Rockets had nothing to offer him no matter their presentation.

8. teebone21

teebone21 Member

9. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Point taken, but at the end of the day it was the chance of winning a championship with lebron and co more so than riley or even the city of miami.

I do like the Rudy T example and would hope that their presentations don't just consist of tweets and ipads.

10. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Tilman Fertita

11. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

That would be sweet - the Texas mob guy vs. the Russian mob guy.

12. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've long felt that while Morey understands the financial aspects of basketball operations, he is pretty uninspiring on the salesmanship end. In the end a winning team sells itself, but until that time sales pitches should definitely be handed over to someone else. The Rockets have the resources.

13. Third eye

Third eye Member

Les is worse than Jerry jones or al Davis heartless, but when you are "there"
    He treats ya great, but then he just on taa tha next one..
    Less Alexander is now a douche!
    That's my take - you're right why is Rudy, or for that matter any old
    school Rocket doing things within the organization.
    Hell Yao should have some type of role in front office scouting China
    or whatever he'd like to partake in. I'm sure he'd love to remain
    with the organization.-
    After JVG and Rick- we have seen the way Les treats people

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Take a cue from the master...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Treating players like humans Would help. Even Kevin Martin.

16. Margrave

Margrave Member

Man do I agree, Rudy T is all heart and players love him.

17. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

Offer bonus tours of The Astrodome.

18. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

Echoing the general feeling in this thread. Morey needs a people person to help him recruit players like Rudy T. Morey is a genius when it comes to the financial aspects of the nba and when it comes to finding hidden gems in the draft and off other teams benches, but he has had little success recruiting big time free agents to come play for the rockets. The rockets should consider hiring a guy for the specific purpose of recruiting and pitching Houston to free agents. Rudy T? Hakeem? Someone who can help Morey sell Houston.

19. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

I guess I really never thought of Morey being a bad salesman as the reason why players don't want to come here

20. thejav

thejav Member

yes!!..after Howard gets asbestos poisoning.. he would have to stay..houston is one of the top medical cities...Genius!!

1 person likes this.