1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Stern does not want us to have 2 high draft picks?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Johnson2000, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Sacudido

Sacudido Contributing Member

Option A, and keep it that way unless he becomes a contributing member. At least make him pay for the priviledge of starting lame threads.

2. mastraw18

mastraw18 Member

I'm slightly confused with the "fans" who don't want the Rockets to make the playoffs just to get a good draft pick. When you watch them every night do you actually cheer for them to lose? Kmart shoots a 3 and you hope he misses? Scola dances around the lane and you hope that he travels? Even if I tried doing that I still couldn't. If one of you could answer that for me, my curiousity and confusion would lessen. Thank you.

3. Rockzilla

Rockzilla Member

What a stupid thread

4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

As weird as this sounds, alot of casual fans and NFL fans actually believe that. In fact, there was a thread on another sports sites, and someone made a thread whether or not the NFL should adopt a lottery system. Most of the board was against it, because they said ... that a lottery system would encourage tanking. I was like what the f#ck. Also, they kept saying all of the good teams would get the good picks, :rolleyes:. I would figure the worst teams of the non-playoff teams would have better odds for higher picks.

I do know I guess I'm a just regular old Aunt Zelda who is too kooky to understand thing, because I would figure a draft lottery would dissuade it. Tanking in the NFL guarantees you an automatic top pick, in the NBA I've seen teams who finished with the worst record or 2nd worst record select as low 6th or 7th, not often though, as it's typically in top 4 or 5. In actuality, the NFL could have both by letting all of the bad teams have a shot at the first pick, while the playoffs teams sort of fall in order of elimination.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...anford-qb-andrew-luck-article-1.968695?pgno=1

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...ure-nfl-should-institute-a-draft-1943650.html

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes yes - exercise your free speech by all means. I think you should exercise your free speech on ESPN tonight so the whole country can hear this very important idea/post/whatever you have.

I mean, why would ESPN turn you down???? You have rights!!!

-------------------------------------------

To all the new guys on here. Don't think we are a bunch of dicks. We just want intelligent conversation.

If you can't get responses to your posts in existing threads, than it's probably is a good sign that you shouldn't be starting new threads.

6. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

so the last 2 years we were 9th in the west and the #14 lotto pick… BUT this year stern is gonna slip us in at the 8 spot so we can get the #15 draft pick!

verrrrrryyyyy sneaky Mr Stern…..

7. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

8. DONYELL2

DONYELL2 New Member

It is time to move on from TradeGate. Stern is becoming the ex-girlfriend that you can't let go of. Move on.

9. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I'm sure things like the following:

During the 1985 NBA Draft Lottery, the NBA used a system where seven envelopes representing the seven teams with the worst records were mixed in a tumbler, and then drawn by Stern one at a time to determine which of these clubs would get the 1st pick onwards up to the 7th pick. When these envelopes were added to the tumbler, two envelopes were put in forcibly, and banged against the edge, while all the rest were set in gently. When drawing the envelope for the 1st pick, Stern went for the one with a bent corner, which upon opening the envelope, it was revealed that the New York Knicks logo was inside. This fueled speculation of a draft fix, with the theory being that the NBA wanted to send the best player in the draft to New York to increase ratings in a large television market.

Plus the dirty officiating scandal makes the op justified in feeling something is off about the commissioner- right or wrong.

Presidents/commissioners from day 1:

Maurice Podoloff (1946–63) 17 yrs

Walter Kennedy (1963–75) 12 yrs

Larry O'Brien (1975–1984) 9 yrs

David Stern (1984–present) 28 yrs and mf'n counting............:confused:wtf?

#49 Tfor3, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  10. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I think the OP died. Hope Stern didn't get to him.

11. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

This is pretty amazing that you have seen the worst record get the 6th/7th pick. Oh wait it's not because it's impossible because the lowest they can pick is 4th. Nt fail point.

1 person likes this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A and B, with an admonishment not to be such a goofus, with you considering returning thread starting privileges after he decides to make a contribution to the site. I think enough fun has been had here, at least in my opinion. Of course, I'm late to the party. Unless he's not longer around. (is he still around?)

13. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

It's impossible for the worst team to fall to 6-7th in the lottery. Only the top 3 picks are chosen through the lottery. Even if the worst team lost out on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd pick, they automatically get the 4th pick.

If the 2nd worst team missed out on the first 3 picks, they would draft 4th. Unless, the 1st team missed out all 3 picks too.

I can't name any teams that were left with only the 6th-7th pick in the lottery, when they had the worst record.

#53 BetterThanEver, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  14. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Yeah. I mean look what the refs did to the Rockets in the 04 play-offs. It might be an inside Stern job.

15. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

You do realize that they use ping pong balls and not envelopes right? The envelopes are just used for presentation.

16. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

These are valid points but have you considered this...
    [​IMG]

17. freeze00up

freeze00up Member

They use ping pong balls now, but in the original lottery they didn't.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bX1kMlG8c7Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Not this **** again.

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I SURE DO!!!! I hope to see a good game and see our young players get some burn and improve. I don't see us making any noise this postseason and think having 2 high picks (I root for NY to lose as well) is better for our future, even if we try to use them to bring a high impact player in via trade. If I'm a team like Orlando I may be interested in sending Howard off for 2 high picks in this draft.

20. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

OP just relax. It doesnt work out for him either way. The young guys on this roster winning and having good years is just as good as getting a slightly higher pick. The only thin that would be truly good for this franchise is a breakout young guy on our roster or a top pick next year. This team is too good to place in the top 5 or close enough to get one of those picks. Barring injury or trade.