1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starting Center: Jordan Hill vs Chuck Hayes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AggieRocketsFan, Dec 19, 2010.

?

Who should start at center?

1. Jordan Hill

177 vote(s)
    76.3%
  2. Chuck Hayes

55 vote(s)
    23.7%
  1. AggieRocketsFan

Who should be our starting center now that Yao is out for the year?

I think Hill should get the chance to start so he can get a consistent chance to develop.

Chuck should only be considered for the starting job to help keep Hill out of foul trouble, but Jordan should still get the majority of the minutes at the 5.

2. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

3. BradMiller

BradMiller Member

Scuse me...?

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Hill is still coming into his own. In a little time, the poll answer is yes, until then, no...

5. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

RA will start Hayes.

6. AggieRocketsFan

Your job is to teach Chuck how to give out HARD fouls. No more easy buckets!!!

7. somenobody

somenobody Member

It does not matter who starts. To me, who finishes the game matters much more.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Hill will be starting soon enough. He earned a lot of trust with that 4th quarter performance. Hopefully he can sustain that.

And Chuck's been doing his job pretty well the last few games.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Hayes and thats the way it SHOULD be.

Hill is still making too many mistakes. The way to properly develop him is for him to earn his time by playing mistake free basketball. He can earn his way to starters minutes by always making the correct rotations and being in the right spot.

Thats how you properly develop someone.

Otherwise you end up with immensely gifted basketball players who play stupid basketball. cough * Tyreke Evans * cough.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Start Hayes, bring Hill in earlier.

DD

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Well the reasons why you havent seen Hill in the starting lineup yet is foul trouble. He has to learn to keep himself out of trouble. To his credit, alot of the fouls he gets really are not his fault.

Alot of times the wings are just getting burned off the dribble and bull dozing into the lane and a foul happens to avoid easy buckets. Thats another issue to work out but Adelman knows that if he gets into foul trouble early consistently it will hurt the rotations and consistency on the floor.

I expect Hayes to start the rest of the road trip till they can get in some more practice time and have Hill practice a bit more with that unit.

12. HTownRockets#34

I liked how he closed the game today, I'd play him more minutes, in fact I'd start him, but I don't see that happening until the consistency on both ends is...more consistent (he's definitely been more consistent lately though).

13. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I agree, problem is that when Chuck starts there is a layup drill going on. Hill's length is DESPERATELY needed because against the teams with more playmakers we are going to get torn apart.

14. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I can live with Hill getting the Landry type fourth quarter minutes. In the future when he becomes more reliable he can start next year if we still havent filled the center position. I think honestly Chuck Hayes is better at PF than center since that is his size range. Hill is cast right and Chuck is miscast.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Until we find a true Starting center via trade or draft Hill needs to get the start.

16. bj3175

bj3175 Member

NO BECAUSE IF YOU START HIM YOU WILL MESS UP THE CHEMISTRY HE HS WITH BRAD MILLER. HE SHOULD DEFINITELY FINISH THE GAME

17. PeppermintCandy

Playing Hayes at starting center gives Adelman more flexibility with his other big men down the line. It keeps everyone else fresh and out of early foul trouble and allows Adelman to choose between Hill, Hayes and Miller down the stretch according to matchups, rather than because he's out of options.

The fact that Hayes can dependably man the center spot for 20+ minutes a game is a huge help to this size-deficient frontcourt.

18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Hill has shown that he competent enough to start. Whatever else he needs to learn on defense, he will learn by playing. He is just bringing things that our bigs just do not have.

For the minority who still thinks Hayes should start, just remember the fee layup drill next game around, and don't complain. :p

Regardless, Durvasa is correct. Hill will start soon enough.

19. clos4life

clos4life Member

I voted Hayes until Hill can show he is consistent with his game.

Long term, no doubt, it should be Hill. He is developing fast too.

20. PeppermintCandy

Well, Hayes is usually able to stay out of foul trouble in the same situation, so it isn't impossible for Hill to do so as well.

That said, while Hayes is now a near elite defender, he had a similar problem with picking up early fouls in his first two seasons, too IIRC. Hill is just beginning to figure it out and should continue to get better.