1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Dwight Howard tried to recruit Jameer Nelson to Houston"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Karolik, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Karolik

Karolik Member

http://dimemag.com/2014/07/dwight-howard-tried-recruit-jameer-nelson-houston/

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jameer Nelson balanced finances and winning in free agency. Dwight Howard made multiple calls recruiting Nelson to Houston, sources say.</p>&mdash; Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) <a href="https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/statuses/492411000763584512">July 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If this is true, forget about Melo or Bosh, we couldn't even recruit Jameer Nelson :(

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Why would we want Nelson? Unless he was willing to take a pay cut, it would be stupid to pick him up.

1 person likes this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Do you believe every twitter account you find?

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thank goodness for Trevor Ariza. Else nobody but desperate minimum wage guys would have signed with the Rockets. :)

5. Remii

Remii Member

Sounds like Dallas was offering more money... Can't blame Howard for that.

6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

read about this yesterday... some site was trashing Dwight because he talked down on his teammates from Orlando and than he tried to recruit him.

Im really noticing some hate coming our way from the media, we have gone from them hoping we are irrelevant to them turning us into the top Heels in the league... I like it!

7. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Hmm I wonder who is gonna throw dwight alley OOOPs besides Harden

Last years team missed on a lot of easy 1's, probably gonna be even worse this year

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

This dude actually has some credibility. He broke the deng to cavs trade last year and has been providing a steady dose of minor moves.

9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

We got a lot better at it towards the end of the season.

It is kind of awkward though that Terrence Jones is one of the better ones at it.

Bright side is - he's still on the team.

10. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

I appreciate that Dwight knows Jameer Nelson and might have said to a former teammate, "hey man you should come play with us," but we don't have any context for how serious Dwight was. Even if Dwight did put in a call to him, it doesn't mean that the organization wanted him here or that they would pay him anything more than a minimum salary.

Jameer Nelson is not a good point guard. His best days are behind him. I think we need another point guard, but if the choices were Nelson and the unproven Canaan, give me Canaan.

11. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

I'd rather see Nick Johnson get some minutes than a player who is marginal and on the downward slope of his NBA career.

12. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

so? It would be more credible if Morey tried to recruit him, but he didn't.

13. houtown

houtown Member

SUcks, I thought Nelson would've been a good fit. A good spot up shooter who has been through a lot of battles throughout his career and could've possibly provided valuable veteran leadership.

14. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

So everything we read/see on social media is just facts now huh? Just some random ass cat says something and it's true? This shouldn't even been a thread

15. sutton

sutton Member

No decent veteran PG would like to play with Harden, bad for their stats, unless overpaid.

16. sew

sew Member

Nelson called Dwight out last year.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/n...-howard-low-opinion-magic-002421305--nba.html

Phone call was probably a tad awkward.

17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Kudos to Dwight!

Nice job putting forth the extra effort to help build the team! (esp being kinda awkward given the past quotes... extra props for effort!)

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Nelson > Sessions

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Parsons > Howard at recruiting.

20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

we have one proven pg, two question marks and johnson is a sg in a pg's body

so a 2 year/6mil deal is too much for a pg who has plenty of experience, can be a 4th option, hit the 3, attack the basket, make his own shot, run the offense, rack up assists, ease the ball handling pressure off harden, pick and roll threat, tries on defense if his team doesnt suck, managed a career avg 3rpg despite being 6 foot, b2b career highs in apg. contract wise he's easy to trade. knows how to ball with dwight.

what else am i missing? who cares, thats more than enough. rockets need more vets and could've got one who is a great fit for this team. 1mil too much? really?

[​IMG]