1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Beat Writers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Baseballa, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Is it just me, or are these guys some of the most negative people in the whole world?

Evan Drellich does a great job of keeping up with the team, but his twitter feed never misses an opportunity to slide in a negative jab at the team.

Brian Smith seemingly can't bash the Astros enough since he left for the Texans.

I miss Alyson Footer.

2. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

I find Evan's punches somewhat snarky and entertaining for now since he does a good job covering them. Footer was great. Tags does a good job over on MLB.com and Zach Levine did a good job while he was here.

3. raining threes

Truth is the Astros are still a bad baseball team and if the Astros org doesn't like the negativity then they should do something about it. Cutting Williams and sending down Villar/Grossman is a good start.

I hope they trade for a 2nd tier OF like Scheirholtz at the trade deadline. He's having a bad yr but would be an upgrade.

4. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Oh yeah somehow forgot about Tags, he's great. Levine too.

I think I would find Evan's stuff much more entertaining if we were winning. Probably too sensitive.

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Why hasn't Ortiz been relegated to covering the Dynamo

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

Drellich has a vendetta against Luhnow. He even turned last week's Jerome Williams save-attempt debacle into placing blame on Luhnow for not sending Keuchel down to get another arm in the bullpen for that game.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Ortiz's twitter barrage the other day in the wake of that SI article was ridiculous. He said because the article had them winning World Series in 2017, it mean Astros were committed to 3 more losing seasons until then. Huh? Nowhere in the article did management say anything remotely close to this.

McTaggart clearly doesn't enjoy his job...or at least it sure comes off that way.

8. boozle222

If I don't mention Ortiz, I assume he will eventually disappear. Dude is a hack and always has been.

I think Tags enjoys what he does, but he has for sure toned it down. a few years ago, he would tweet every game and be very informative. Now, it almost seems like he posts during some games and reps his own articles more so than not. I think he doesn't like the non educated fans that ask dumb questions and bash the Astros, but who can blame him. He has also been around for at least a decade I think. Lastly, he responds to decent Twitter questions which is nice.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Beat writers tend to have more fun when the team is good... that being said, this group has been particularly hard to stomach.

I wonder if Levine used the current Astros front office baseball prospectus people in order to secure his new gig.

I also wonder if the relationship with the front office and the media is simply fractured beyond repair... I heard Richard Justice on the radio the other day commenting on the leaked online database story, and he said the front office has absolutely no humility what-so-ever, and are constantly acting like the "smartest guys in the room"... and I can see how that sort of interaction can rub people the wrong way.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Well, at least they can beat someone.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Didn't the article have us at 80-82 or 81-81 in 2016?

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

When they are in a room with Dick, I'm guessing they are the smartest guys in the room.

1 person likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That was the epilogue section, where they were "predicting the future"... but yeah, that's what it said (they went from 80-82 to over 100 wins).

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Probably... but Pallilo (who probably gives off the same vibe) also had the same assessment.

15. boozle222

Pallilo being mentioned just made me gag. Dude sucks.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The Pallilo/Drellich negativity is a northeastern Yankee thing I think.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's better than any other Houston sports radio host... and wants to talk more baseball (and is more knowledgable about it) than any other Houston sports radio host.

Agree to disagree...

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's pretty positive about any "winning" Houston team, when they are actually winning.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

don't tell Ortiz that..

20. Buck Turgidson

Because Richard Justice is, you know, totally plugged in to the goings on in the current Astros front office.

I'm sure you can find a Jesus Ortiz twit to corroborate, and just take that to the bank.

Multiple sources.