1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are NBA Players Who Sign Commitment Contracts Overseas Traitors or "All Bets Are Off"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by McGradyPwns, Nov 20, 2011.

?

Traitors or "All Bets Are Off"?

1. They are traitors to the teams that signed them

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Everybody for themselves

105 vote(s)
    97.2%
  1. McGradyPwns

McGradyPwns Member

aka Deron Williams
    aka Kenyon Martin
    aka Chase Budinger (??)

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They are visionaries.

3. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Shows their passion for the game.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

Treason.

Federal prison at the least.

1 person likes this.
  5. meh

meh Contributing Member

I feel NBA players don't play overseas not because or some inherent loyalty to the NBA, but rather it's just not appetizing.

Forget about NBA players. What about regular workers? Would you leave your family to go to a foreign country where people speak a foreign language, a new boss, new co-workers, have to fit into their method of doing things, and on top of that make less money than what you're used to?

If NBA players feel that playing in Europe even come close to being comparable to playing in the NBA, the owners would have no leverage at all. Kobe, Lebron, and everyone else would all be signing contracts in Europe as leverage against the owners.

6. McGradyPwns

McGradyPwns Member

I disagree with everything content related to your post.

1. NBA players ALREADY don't spend time with their families, have you seen the show "Basketball Wives"?
    2. For NBA players, I would say on the basis of scale, playing competitive basketball is >> than the "less" amount of money they would make in Europe or China. NBA players role lifespan is only a few years, any basketball is better than no basketball.
    3. See point #2. There is also a flaw in your argument. You would compare the Europe rate over the NBA rate IF THEY WERE PLAYING IN NBA, that's why "less" is in quotation marks. How about comparing money in Europe with No money in USA?
    4. Those people you mentioned Kobe, Lebron are widely written in the news as having serious probability of playing in Europe.
    5. Foreign language: if you didn't know already, most of the "foreigners" speak very good english, so I would say the language barrier isn't that great as you make it out to be. But I will concede you this point.

7. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

The owners stabbed the players in the back by locking them out of the arenas.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

True, but after just reading reports of J.R. Smith suffering what could be a serious knee injury in his first game in China, some may think twice about it now. Why play overseas for a fraction of what they would make here in the League once this rediculous lockout ends and a new contract is signed? Why risk injury playing for fans that you can't even understand when they cuss you out? ;-)-

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Owners locked them out and have been the jerks in negotiations.

I could see a traitor argument if a key RFA of a winning team went overseas because he wanted more money than offered.

Because a paycheck > no paycheck.

Besides, it eats away at owner leverage.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Kenyon Martin and JR Smith types of contracts are in the minority here. Most contracts, even some rookies like Donatas M., have an out-clause if the lockout were to end. Also, JR Smith and Martin's contracts only go till the end of March.

Many analysts, agents, and people in the know didnt actually think the NBA games would start on time regardless. Now that guaranteed deal through March looks like the right move. Good for them. See ya next year... Or will we even have a season next year?

11. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Nah, not traitors. You gotta do what you gotta do to keep some paychecks coming in. The risk of injury is definitely there though. It could start to be real ugly if superstars and stars get injured in their first few weeks with a team abroad.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not sure there is anything a player could do at this point that would count as trechery given the lockout and the ultimatum. If they started burning down arenas, I wouldn't call it treason (arson, sure, but not treason).

I don't know what Smith did, but players can get insurance to pay for disastrous injuries abroad. If it were me, I probably wouldn't play for less-than-NBA wages unless I had insurance that paid if my NBA career was adversely affected.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Traitors to whom exactly?

I feel like the more players that play elsewhere, the stronger their case. Basketball is the product, the NBA is just the platform. If they're getting compensated elsewhere it puts the power back in their hands.

I'll simplify it.

NBA - hey we're locking you guys out, we want more money, mwuahahaha.

Players - cool story bro, we're just going to get away from our nagging wives and play stress-free basketball overseas, call me when y'all get your crap together.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

A lot of these guys just want to play. They miss the game and want to stay in shape....see Nowitzki's recent comments.

Consider for a second that in a shortened season and shortened pre-season, the players who played in competitive Euroleague play will have the advantaged over those who just went to the gym and played pick-up and charity games.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL - they are basketball players....this is not war...it is just basketball....

DD

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

As much as I despise the players' union, these guys got locked out. There is nothing abnormal about them getting contracts somewhere else.

17. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Federal "pound you in the ass" prison

18. da_juice

da_juice Member

Nothing is just basketball! Nothing!

19. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Negative. Department of Homeland Security confirmed that Chase Budinger's activities in Europe are not terror-related. Threat Level lowered to Yellow.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's a strange question / poll...

of course they aren't traitors.

I think the more interesting line of thought, though, is would replacement players in the NBA continue to be vilified as "scabs". Because now, for once, the former NBA's have another option, and are pursuing it. If a group of d leaguers, NBA hanger-ons, etc., who weren't previously part of the union, are collectively offered an opportunity to put on a uniform for a real NBA team as a replacement, it would be kind of hard for a former NBAer to call such a player a scab if that player has moved on to Europe, no?