1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN.com: Tomjanovich to meet with Lakers on Tuesday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by codell, Jun 21, 2004.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

Tomjonavich looks like early front-runner

ESPN.com news services

Rudy Tomjanovich will meet with Lakers owner Jerry Buss and general manager Mitch Kupchak to discuss the team's head coach opening on Tuesday, according to a newspaper report.

Tomjanovich

Tomjanovich, who's expected to arrive in Los Angeles on Monday night, appears to be the leading candidate to replace Phil Jackson, the Los Angeles Times reported on Monday.

Buss decided Friday not to have Jackson return for a sixth season as the Lakers' head coach. A decision on Jackson's replacement could be swift since Buss is scheduled to travel to Italy on Wednesday and the team's preference is to have a coach in place by Thursday's NBA draft.

Also on the Lakers' wish list are former Lakers coach and current Heat president Pat Riley and ex-SuperSonics and Bucks coach George Karl. Riley said in a statement on Saturday that he intends to stay in Miami and is in negotiations on a contract extension with the Heat. Riley and Karl have not been contacted by the Lakers, according to the Times.

Lakers assistant coaches Kurt Rambis and Jim Cleamons will also be considered for the job, although Cleamons, like Karl, is a candidate to replace Jim O'Brien as Ohio State's head coach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1825526

2. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I hope Rudy T. lands the job & that its still a winning team

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Good luck on the interview Rudy. I hope they drive a dump-truck of money up to your door and beg you to come work for them. And, that you laugh in their faces and come back to Houston.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

oh man. we must keep rudy. this would be worse than seeing dream play for the raptors.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Rudy, don't sell your soul to the evil empire! :mad:

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

It's going to look more like a team to rebuild.

7. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

I love Rudy but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, any team but the Fakers or Jazz!!!!!

8. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

That'd make a lot of sense. Laugh in the face of a major media market team that wants you as head coach to come back to a town that fired you from the same job and asked you to say you quit.

This is like a woman leaving her husband for another man and asking her ex to tell the kids it was his decision. Then, a year later, when the man decides to date again, the kids say don't date that other woman (who actually WANTS to date you), get back with mom instead. Note to BBS'ers: Mom doesn't want him back.

As a lifelong Rudy fan, I'm happy as hell for him if he gets this job and against anyone but the Rockets I hope he gets another ring. I don't understand how any Rudy fan could be sad that he'd get a chance to coach again.

#8 Batman Jones, Jun 21, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2004
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think he could get Shaq and Kobe to coexist. It would be the ideal situation for him, if that happened.
    (short of coaching the Rockets again)

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It'd be cool if Shaq stayed, Bryant left and Rudy coached. But, Rudy coaching Kobe, with Shaq leaving -- no fun. He'll be a candidate for better coaching jobs this offseason and next.

11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I agree that a Rudy-Shaq combo has a lot more potential than a Rudy-Kobe one. But wherever he coaches, with whatever players, I'll just be happy to see him on a bench again. What an exciting offseason.

12. Bobliu

Bobliu Member

Could there be any Yao factor in the Lakers' interest in RudyT? RudyT was Yao's first coach and went to China to meet Yao. From what I have read here and elsewhere, Yao is fond of RudyT. With RodyT as the coach of the Lakers, Yao could find a reason to dump the Rox and join an elite team in LA to increase his market value. It will be interesting in the summer of 2006...