1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's Patrick Patterson's likely career path?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Given that there are rumors about him possibly being moved, I am wondering what folks here envision to be Patrick's likely career path. Who is he comparable to?

Two guys that came to mind for me:

Kenyon Martin and Kurt Thomas.

Good smart 6'9'' defenders and decent complimentary players on the offensive end.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A bigger Chuck Hayes who can also play good offense.

DD

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I really like his jump shot. He seems to disappear at times, though.

4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

More athletic Antonio Davis

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Horace Grant

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I like the Horace Grant comparison also. Others: Dale Davis, Otis Thorpe, Anthony Mason. Just high energy defensive-minded guys with a lot of versatility when it comes to playing roles in an offense with other superstars. Essential pieces to a championship.

7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

He's a good physical defender, lots of energy and while not a superstar on offense, not a liability either. Can't run away from him like you could Hayes. Assuming he gets better this year he's gonna be a real nice PF for a good long while.

8. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

David West.

Both guys are 6'9", good jump shooters, somewhat undersized high energy tougher than you would think PF's.

Drafted in similar spots and similar numbers/minutes their rookie seasons.

I for real do not want to see him moved in this trade. Losing him AND Scola would be a mistake.

9. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I've been saying for a year now....Shareef Abdur Rahim. Extremely similar and underrated.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

not even close talent wise. SAR was a pf/sf. Gifted, scorer, good rebounder. Patterson is more of a grunt.

11. Dei

Dei Member

I'd rather keep him than Scola and I'm saying this as a big Scola fan. Pat has rebounding, positioning, and defense pinned down. Scola has none of those.

12. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I don't know who I would compare him to, but I think sky is the limit. I don't think anyone could be disappointed in what he showed us last year. He didn't get many minutes in the first half of the year, but when he finally did he showed that he is athletic, can rebound, can shoot at a high percentage, can play defense, seems to have a high basketball IQ, and puts out a great effort. He needs to work on his offense with his back to the basket, but he seems to be a really solid player who could become a very good NBA player. Having players on the team like Patterson is fun and exciting, I would be very disappointed to see him traded.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Karl Malone with a nice personality.
    I really like this kid. I hope he retires a Rockets. ;) He has star potential IMO.

14. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

So a superstar?

15. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Too bad he is probably going to be a Hornet... :/

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He will make a better veteran leader. I guess he has a degree in Leadership.

17. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Antonio McDyess.

Both 6'9'' versatile, high-motor PFs, though Dyess was more lethal offensively. Pat's low-post game should continue to improve w/ experience & McHale's guidance. His mid-range game is less polished than McDyess' was during his rookie year in Denver, but like Antonio, Pat finishes above the rim w/ authority (though the edge in athleticism goes to pre-injury McDyess)...

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vwpN6Dw4Zgc" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Offensively, poor man's McDyess. Defensively... I'm not sure. Possibly a quicker, far more determined/focused Etan Thomas.

18. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

antonio mcdyess, but more athletic.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You forgot Patrick played with major pain at Kentucky and when he was rookie.
    Fair comparison.

20. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

6-7 All Star games