1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tech Advice] Building a PC for Music Production

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Feb 2, 2015.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'm looking to build a PC for recording, mixing, and producing music. When it comes to all the equipment, software, and accessories needed for those purposes I'm squared away. But I can use some help with putting together a rig powerful enough to handle my needs effortlessly.

Memory usage and the processor are going to be a key factors, as the software (DAWs) that I'll be using (Pro Tools, FL Studio, and maybe Reason and/or Cubase) will be running multiple plugins and vsti's. Plugins and vsti's are basically "mini programs" running inside of the DAW. I'd also like to be able to have at least three screens connected to it as well.

I put the following together at pcpartpicker.com, I'd really like some input on things that I should upgrade or components that can be downgraded. And do I need to better address cooling the rig? Really wanting to keep it within $10-13 hundred range, of course less is better though. Let me know if more info is needed to better answer my questions.

I'm going to post at a few music related forums that I visit as well, but I think some of the knowledge that I've seen here can be just as useful. Basically, I'm just looking to build a PC that can wiz through tasks that depend heavily on the processor and memory. Obviously rep will be given to those who can help.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Micro Center)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: MSI Z87M GAMING Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($104.98 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($129.98 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($75.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda ES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($128.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($65.55 @ Directron)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($47.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.75 @ OutletPC)
    Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN781ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($14.95 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan ($16.98 @ OutletPC)

Total: $1050.02 Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-02 12:59 EST-0500

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

LOL! "producing." :grin:

Anyway, in all seriousness... music is music and doesn't need special engines to render like video. You don't need to beef it up as much, but just make sure you get legit software so you can get all their tutorials and freebies and support. :eek:

3. HR Dept

Lol, all you my man. A couple of friends and I are finally making our dream of own our own recording studio happen. So yeah, music production will be happening.

Be sure to post about you ambitions someday, if you have any, and I'll definitely drop in to LOL at you. But thanks for the input... I guess.

1 person likes this.
  4. SwoLy-D

I do have ambitions... but I do research and arrive at my own conclusions... and those things aren't asked in forums. I just don't see "producing" as something you would do RIGHT NOW, but at a later time, when you've had your own REAL recordings and your real mixes and other things you can show for yourself. And those will turn you into a "producer" (whatever you think that might entail). :cool:

In summary, by the time you're "producing", you would not be asking a bunch of basketball fans in a forum on something that important. Or... would you?

p.s. Why did you put "DAWs" in parenthesis? Why not just say what "DAW" means?

5. HR Dept

I know that there are people here who build, or who have built computers. So I came in to ask for advice on building a PC. Would it matter if I were here asking how to build a computer for playing video games instead?

I don't care what you can see me doing, and when you see it happening. And you have no idea what I have done or what I can show for myself.

I've never encountered someone on the Internet that I absolutely detest until I became familiar with you on this site. I consider myself blessed that I don't know you in person. I hope you choke on an Emoji... And don't bother responding because I'm off to figure out how the ignore function works.

If anyone else has any input on the PC feel free to leave it, but I'm fine with this thread fading away. Can't believe I let this dumb **** get under my skin...

1 person likes this.
  6. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Got anything against Macs?

It's a little tough to give you advice since everyone I know that's in the Music business and all 3 studios I visit have Macs. too much Logic Pro training for me to switch to PC.

1 person likes this.
  8. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. HR Dept

Nothing against Macs at all. I just don't want to spring for the cost of one at the moment, and I don't have a ton of experience using one. We have space to build a second room later if things start to take off, so if/when that happens I'll definitely spring for a Mac Pro. Maybe even before we expand. But I def want a Windows rig as well.

10. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

In before Swoly says you are bad and you should feel bad....

DANGIT!

11. SwoLy-D

Haha, fallenphoneix. Nice.
    ^ LOLs! ^ Temper, temper.
    :grin:
    You took it the wrong way, mister thin skin! But why am I even saying that, since you're not reading this anymore?

I wonder if he's going to go "produce" angry music now...? :grin:

He's not THAT serious about it, anyway... so he will stay with pirated PC software.

Paging TDashDub and his entourage of attention-getting music... paging TDashDub...

12. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

You look good on your rig man. Add the price of 3 monitors, and I'd suggest getting a separate sound card that can handle all the diff inputs you might want to use. Speakers and headphones so you can listen to your music on different things. It may not be as intensive as video editing, but having power to edit sound files needs some muscle too. It's nice if you have the power to convert files from raw formats to mp3 for sharing and stuff. Get your stuff out there. Converting samples from different sources and formats too.

1 person likes this.
  13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You don't need a K series CPU if you aren't looking to overclock.
    Everything else seems good. Avoid wireless and try your best to do wired ethernet though... wifi severely stunts your speeds and latency especially if you aren't in range to receive the 5ghz channel.

If you are doing a speaker setup any better than 5.1 you will need a sound card.

And honestly unless your case blows chunks and restricts airflow, the room you are in restricts airflow or gets really hot, or you start overclocking your CPU and GPU to insane levels, you really don't need any more than the stock cooler and fan.

1 person likes this.
  14. HR Dept

Thanks man. I'm pretty knowledgable on the actual equipment that we'll need, and between my partners and myself we already have purchased or already own most of it from our home studios.

15. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

That is a good looking setup that you already have planned HR. I hope that it all works out for you on your build. I do agree with RedRedemption on having your new rig connected hardwired with Ethernet, transfer speeds are significantly faster hardwired than through wireless.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of programs do you use and what kind of headphones do you use????? Reason I'm asking is because I want to learn more about audio and I (like many others here on ClutchFans) like to just vibe to some real good music!

1 person likes this.
  16. Salvy

Salvy Member

Don't really need much for audio producing like Swoly said. Its not like running after effects where you need a rig with plenty of processing power, graphics card and ram. Actually, you don't really need much at all. The only thing I can think of that will help is to use a solid state drive for all your little vst's, plugins, instruments, software.... Pro-tools, Ableton live don't really need much of a PC "build" in order to run properly. Don't need audio card because I'm 99% sure you have little m-audio interface you connect your Rokit 5's to.....

1 person likes this.
  17. HR Dept

Thanks man, I have several external audio interfaces that I've aquired over time. That's why there was no mention on a sound card. I'm covered there, probably going to roll with the M-Audio fast track Ultra. And thanks for the input on the CPU, that's exatly the kind of advice that I was looking for. What would you suggest?

18. HR Dept

Thanks bro, I'd rather be safe then sorry. I've tried to work on under powered computers before and nothing kills your workflow more then latency, buffer underun, etc. And sample based instruments like Miroslav Philharmonik‎ and those from Kontakt can drain memory as well with heavy layering. Big boy instruments.

You're right about the M-Audio interface but we'll have Rokit 8s at the desk and a pair of 5s in the booth. I sense a hint of sarcasm and condescendence in your post but its all good brotha! We're pumping some money into this and its going to be legit. We've been at it for a while.Thanks for the input my man!

1 person likes this.
  19. HR Dept

Thanks man. Internet connection is probably the least important component. The PC will be dedicated solely for music purposes. All downloads, etc will be transferred from external hard drives. We'll only connect to the web for product keys and verifications.

Personally I use Pro Tools and FL Studio extensively. I'm probably going to dive into Reason as well. I use a pair of AKG K240 MKII headphones and I'll use a pair of Beats Studio headphones for contrast.

20. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

My advice is skip a PC and suck it up and go Mac, you'll never go back. Stability and super low latency are worth the extra few hundred dollars.