1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao to work out for Rockets come May...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox11, Apr 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rox11

Rox11 Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/#/story/news/big-man-back
    The Big Man Is Back

Posted Mar 31 2014 10:34PM

HOUSTON - Yao Ming won’t even allow himself to contemplate what it would mean to see his No. 11 jersey hang in the Toyota Center rafters, keeping company with the likes of those worn by Hakeem Olajuwon, Moses Malone and the rest of the Rockets’ all-time greats.

Such humility is not surprising, of course, given that Yao spent every second of his NBA career serving as a walking, talking monument to modesty. But let us not forget that the man also spent the vast majority of that time operating as one of the best big men of his generation as well. Yao was named an All-Star nine times during his illustrious, game-changing tenure in the league while posting career averages of 19 points, 9.2 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per game.

In other words, Yao’s day is going to come. His place is secure. It’s only a matter of when. Until that moment, however, he is doing his best to avoid envisioning what that evening will be like.

“I haven’t (thought) about that yet,” said Yao while making a surprise visit to Toyota Center Tuesday morning. “I don’t know how many times I’ve played on this court, but every time I look up to those jerseys – Rudy (Tomjanovich), Calvin Murphy, Hakeem and Moses – those names are like a mark for all those young athletes who go after them. I just feel like it should be a great honor for those players to leave their jerseys up there. I cannot think about if I can. I’m way behind them.”

Yao returned to Houston two days ago and will be in town through next week’s All-Star extravaganza. He will certainly be involved in the weekend’s events in some way, though he admits he’s not yet sure what form that will take. He did say, however, that he’s very excited to reconnect with one of his favorite teammates, Dikembe Mutombo, while doing social work during that weekend. Community service, in fact, has been a big part of Yao’s life since he retired from NBA basketball back in 2011. The 32-year-old has been heavily involved in animal conservation efforts while simultaneously serving as an owner of the CBA’s Shanghai Sharks and an economics student at Shanghai’s Jiao Tong University.

“I’m a rookie again,” Yao deadpanned in response to a question about his scholastic endeavors. “I know a lot of players here go to school first before they play (professionally). I reversed it. I had to go back to school after my playing career. But that’s a way to keep me busy and keep me running. I love school, I love my classmates and I really appreciate my professor giving me a very patient teaching there.”

Even though he must frequently watch from afar, Yao says he still keeps close tabs on the Rockets. He lauded James Harden’s ability to carry the team this season, calling him a “fantastic player” and he also took time to praise Jeremy Lin for the way Houston’s young point guard has handled the pressure that comes with being an international phenomenon – a condition about which Yao Ming knows all too well.

“I think he did great,” Yao said of Lin. “After last year, people put a lot of pressure on him either on the court or off the court. I think he handled it all well. I think the Rockets are being built as a very young, talented team so far and nobody expected that we can be above .500 and I think part of that job is done by him.”

April fools -
    Yao

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'd remove the last part. Yao doesn't like pictures of his ****** form from last year.

He's getting leaner and leaner from recent photos.

3. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

....APRIL FOOLS YA!

4. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

I'm in Cali, and have only one hour in, and I'll fall asleep and wake up and think OMG!! LOL Seriously though, CLUTCH has had the most epic of EPIC April Fools jokes. I have not bit on any I can remember, and I remember most all of them. Wonder if he will do one this year...
    In fact I think one year he did a April Fools list from the past that he did. OH MAN OH MAN, the old layout, the old days! Thanks Clutch for all, and of course some epic April Fools memories. Probably wrong spot to thank you as it's in this post trying to fool people. Sorry.

Dave when was your last April Fools Joke, was it when you came back after a couple years of not doing it? *I know let me google that lol
    I thought there was a couple years not done by Clutch (Dave/Clutch did not participate in it, not positive though on this)

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The All-Star game is next week! **** yeah!

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

If we could somehow trade Asik for heathy Yao...

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Would be an EXCELLENT backup Center at this point...12 mpg.

DD

8. REEKO_HTOWN

That's like trading a mule for a unicorn.

9. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Have you seen him recently? He's starting to look like you.

1 person likes this.
  10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Come on...

You have to at least make it somewhat believable...

11. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

damnit I clicked anyway even though I knew it was BS. sadly a little part of me still held some hope :(

12. REEKO_HTOWN

Yao has a better chance of competing in the Nathan's Hotdog eating contest than competing in the NBA again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.