1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Fan & Clutchfan Member Battling Progressive Eye Disease

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MoJoV3, Aug 18, 2012.

1. MoJoV3

MoJoV3 Member

I know this is the wrong place to post & I might get priveledges taken away, but this is the only way for more people to know. I apologize in advance. Vance happens to be an associate of mine. If there's anyone out there that has it in their heart to help him out by clicking the link below and donating whatever you can, it would be so appreciated. In just a year, his vision has gone from 20/20 to 20/400 in both of his eyes. Any morning now he can wake up and not have vision at all. Along with the vision loss, he suffers with constant pain, irritation and light sensitivity. Any type of light hurts his eyes without dark sunglasses (After clicking the link, you'll see his has his glasses on his forehead). Thank you in advance for reading this!

http://www.giveforward.com/keratoconushelp

Young Single Father Battling Severe Progressive Eye Disease

"My name is Vance. I'm a 28 year old single Father who, as of last year, developed a progressive eye disease called "Keratoconus." My vision has gone from 20/20 to 20/400 in both of my eyes, causing me to be beyond legally blind. There's so much that has changed in my life, but the main thing that hurts me the most is that I'm no longer able to even recognize my son when he's standing right in front of me. I've been having to depend on others to be able to take him places so he can enjoy his childhood etc. I can't remember the last time I was able to read him a bedtime story. This hurts me worse than the pain & irritation I experience daily with Keratoconus. I took a leap of faith and enrolled in school in January to better the lives of myself and my son. I completed two semesters legally blind with A's and B's. But as of July, I had to take a leave of absence because of issues with my eyes. I really need someones help. My parents, two sisters and I had a family business that was open for 27 years. Due to the economy, just recently had to close its doors, so my entire family is unemployed. They are unable to help me get the surgery I need so I can see. One surgery is a Holcomb C3R treatment that would stop the progression of the disease. The other surgery is an Intact surgery. An Intact is a material inserted inside of my eye that will correct my vision. These are the only two surgeries that help patients with Keratoconus. I don't know what else to do. I would be so appreciative if someone out there could help me. Thank you for taking the time to read this."

2. jacoby

jacoby Member

Bump.

I don't have any money now, but I will try to donate some in the near future.

3. MoJoV3

MoJoV3 Member

Just bumping this thread, you've already done a lot. Thank you so much.

4. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Will definitely donate when I get a chance. Tight on money right now but I'll get around to it this week. Wish him the best, I know how much bad it can get with vision issues (eyes were nearly -10 in each eye with a bad stigmatism, got lasik and can see 20/40 now).

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I posted this on my Facebook and I'll try to sell a few odds and ends so that I can donate.

Good luck to your friend.

6. IndianPlaya

IndianPlaya Contributing Member

I am kind of tight on cash right now but will try to donate.

Another thing I would recommend trying is going to Ben Taub for further evaluation, like even just walking into the ER. The county has a lot of funding for patients who are not able to afford treatment, and they may be able to help.

7. MoJoV3

MoJoV3 Member

I'll definitely look into that for him. Thank you so much

8. MoJoV3

MoJoV3 Member

That is amazing. Thank you so much napalm. He hasn't been able to post anything because of light hurting his eyes, but as soon as he's able he's going to personally thank you, and everyone else that has donated and given any type of information or support. Thank you again!

9. MoJoV3

MoJoV3 Member

I'm so glad your vision was able to be corrected that much. Thank you so much for your help.

10. mj186

mj186 Member

sorry to hear about your friend

slade and baker vision center does a lot of clinical trials to test different procedures, they have one that they are trying to do for FDA trials. there is a free screening visit to see if your friend can be part of the trial. i'm not sure if there is a charge afterwards or if it is free since they are part of the trial. i don't work or have any affiliation to slade and baker, but just wanted to see different options for your friend since money is tight. he can see if he qualifies and then see what the risks are if any, as i don't know since i'm not a doctor

here is the website

http://www.visiontexas.com/houston/clinical-trials.htm

the one he wants to do is Corneal Crosslinking - Slade and Baker Vision now offers corneal crosslinking (CXL), an investigational treatment option for certain corneal conditions. CXL is designed to treat Keratoconus, a disease that results in increasing nearsightedness and astigmatism.

11. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

If his vision has deteriorated to 20/400, your friend may qualify for social security disability benefits. I did handle those type of claims but it was more than a 11 years ago, so I am not sure if the law has changed. Have your friend contact an experienced attorney working in that area.

12. ejarts

ejarts Member

that's why you don't trust the progressive girl

13. MoJoV3

MoJoV3 Member

Its amazing that you mentioned this because I found this yesterday on Clinicaltrials.gov. I called Leticia, who's handling the trials and she said after the consultation its still $2500 per eye. That was strange to me being that the entire study is being sponsored by Acos. I contacted a representative from Acos via email asking what exactly is being sponsored since they're charging so much, but I didn't get a response. I'm going to call them today. Thank you for your help

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not to be rude, best of luck to your friend, but without $20k he goes blind and neither him nor any of his close or even not so close family has any savings, anything they can sell of value (car, house, clothes, tv's), or any ability to take out a loan?

15. MoJoV3

MoJoV3 Member

You're not being rude at all, that's a great question. Since the family business has closed down (and previously already accepting less money for a couple years to try to keep it open) Vance (also because of his condition) & his son have already moved back in w/ his parents.. His sisters & their children are in the process of moving back in with their parents as well. He's been trying to raise money, not only for his condition, but for the family in general for a while now. He started this thread a while back: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=213874.

They have a tv, hp all in one computer and other items listed on Cragslist. His truck is hardly worth anything, so it isn't really worth trying to sell. An authentic red & mustard Rockets jersey signed by Hakeem Olajuwon along w/ the Calvin Murphy framed hall of fame jersey given by Calvin himself, an old violin etc. that they've been trying to sell. What's so amazing about him... If you see, or talk to him in person, you'd never think anything was wrong. When I was behind on my mortgage 6 months ago, he gave me what I didn't even realize at the time was his last to help me. All the while he was losing his vision as well.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

^ sounds fair, I'll take a look and see if I can donate to his cause later.

17. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I hesitate to promote another site here on CF. However, I would send this story to http://thechive.com as they have a HUGE fanbase. I've seen them raise enormous amounts of money for people in need in the span of a few days. Fair warning, some of their content is NSFW for some people.

They mainly collect funny pics from around the web, as well as pics of cute girls. Most of their content is meant to amuse, but the some people would get blasted for having the occasional bit of foul language or a girl in a bikini pop up on their office pc.

18. MoJoV3

MoJoV3 Member

I'm glad you did. Thank you so much. I'm going to get on that right away.

19. MoJoV3

MoJoV3 Member

Thank you so much Jay

20. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

I just want to take the time to thank everyone for your support. Whether you've donated, offered advice, scriptures, encouragement, etc. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you. My eyes are getting worse, so I'm not sure how often I'll be able to post until I get the surgeries I need.. but I will always be appreciative for Clutchfans. I'm so proud to be a Rockets fan more than ever. http://www.giveforward.com/keratoconushelp