1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Rockets Promote From Within (Motiejunas and Beverley)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2013/02/rockets-rotation-promoting-from-within/#more-15349

Some effusive praises from McHale and Lin for new rotation additions Motiejunas and Beverley. Shows in part why the team traded some guys to clear room for them.

My theory: The Morris deal was more or less long-planned make room for Motiejunas while realizing some value for Morris. This trade likely has McHale's blessings. There are only so many rotation spots so you either have to trade a guy or bench him (making him worth less, and frustrated) if you give his minutes to someone else.

The Patterson deal was likely a surprise and one for which McHale is iffy on-- Morey said it came together within the 2 days before deadline. They likely were not planning on dealing Pat but just thought the opportunity to get a high upside (though struggling so far) prospect was too good to pass up.

1 person likes this.
  2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I just can't stop gushing over D-Mo's attitude. He has that fire that few people possess. He doesn't want to just be good, he wants to be the ****ing best.

Good on him for that.

Beverley has surprised a lot. Dude is exactly the type of back-up pg a team wants. Though I hope his tendency to lose his mind and make silly fouls wanes over time. Still, he's an incredibly feisty player and brings that toughness that a team always needs.

#2 DudeWah, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  3. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Beverley, I really like.. He brings that Arkansas of all attitude with Nolan Richardson....

Still not really sold on D-Mo just yet...

T_Man

4. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Thanks for the link.

I'm excited about Dmo and I love how he says he wants to do what nobody else has done. That's a great attitude to have and it should take him a long way.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Dmo looks like he'll be pretty good. Beverly's presence on the team is a win for the Rockets' scouting staff (and Morey, natch).

What will be interesting is watching the power forward slot shake out over the course of the season---and in the summer (Millsap? Jsmoove?). The trade weakened us in the short run and greatly strengthened us for the long haul.

I want to make the playoffs, but the more important thing is how we have more cap room now. MO MONEY, MO MONEY, MO MONEY!!!

In the meantime, tear it up, Dmo. It's your time.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Go DMo! Rockets look good for future.

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

D-Mo is a very easy person to root for. Very likable.

8. CertifiedTroll

P Bev is the man. Motiejunas has looked really good so far, despite seeming nervous. He is going to be a force once he slows him self down and gains some confidence. (Also adding some pounds of muscle may help as well). Good job Rox!

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I have a completely different take on the whole Morey thing. The MM deal was to free up cap space. The PPat deal was to get a better asset. IMHO Morey, having entered into a full rebuild mode, is looking beyond this season. Still gathering assets at every opportunity.

That being said I have been one of D-Mo's biggest proponents. Even with Carl's "Alligator arms" meme and comments back in the Polish league days. D-Mo seems to do everything very well, and some things spectacularly well like low post play and believe it or not rebounding. D-Mo has everything he needs to become an all-star physically, and he seems to have the attitude also. Have I mentioned that D-Mo can be a mean SOB when it is called for? He is certainly not above a well placed elbow.

#9 jtr, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  10. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

D-Mo is what Darko Milicic should have been.

Great, great attitude that D-Mo has. He's bound to succeed.

11. Grigori

Grigori Member

D-Mo needs to work on his balance.

He can't be taking a Lin tumble every time he tries a move. He ain't 6'3".

12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I have been the biggest D-mo supporter no doubt...but I didn't know or think he would be camping out at the 3pt line as much as he has I know he is not scared to take anybody in the post but I would like to see it more the 3pt shots he wants to take so much will come but this team needs him in the post or high block where he can showcase his passing ability so I just would like to see him play more down low alot more

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

He is just beginning to be worked into the offense. And D-Mo is still putting everything together at the NBA level. After 20 or so 25+ minute games we should have an idea about D-Mo's impact.

14. Grigori

Grigori Member

The thing is, Lin appears to be the only player on the Rockets who will feed D-Mo in the post.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Thanks for posting this CH! I've been super-impressed with both of them. It's clear that Beverly has the ability to stay with quicker guards and his offense is really improving too. Takes care of the ball. I'm fully confident that he's a capable backup to Lin.

As for DMo, I've said all along that he's our future starting power forward. As much as I like the Robinson acquisition, I think DMo has the upside to be great in all phases of the game, and his size gives him a real advantage at the position because he's still quick enough to stay with smaller 4's. I think Robinson can be a real compliment to DMo if they both continue to develop; however, given Morey's track-record, I have a hard time believing they'll both be on the team a year or so from now.

Morey -don't trade DMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. rokit

rokit Member

i hate seeing lin on the bench when d-mo is playing

17. Arthurprescott2

I really do hope DMo isn't traded any time soon. I hope he soon becomes a foundational piece. I know that might sound crazy to pin such high hopes on the guy. But I really do think he brings a very unique and varied skill set that will take him FAR in this league.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The Rockets have spent close to two years grooming D-Mo. From the draft, to the year in Europe with regular visits from the coaching staff including McHale, to his time in D-League, his promotion to the Rockets roster and then trading everybody ahead of him in the rotation for "assets". He is obviously the future of the PF spot on the Rockets. T-Rob is the trade asset.

19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Very few big men get their number called right off the bat. Duncan and Shaq, sure. But everyone else has to learn to be a role player before they become stars. Even Al Jefferson, who plays exlusively in the post now, had to be a garbage man in Boston first.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

D-Mo's attitude is so great. You can tell he won't be satisfied with anything short of dominance from himself. I hope it translates to enough improvement that he can be an all star level big man.