1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets starting line-up plays better with D-Mo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 2016Champions, Oct 22, 2014.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'm confused as to what you are trying to say . Jones sucked shooting the three last year at .307 . Dmo shot worse with many more attempts. The issue that playing with better players makes you play better is an assumption I guess , but it's a very commonly held assumption that I'm sure can be backed up through advanced statistical analysis.

You are right dmo shot 1 for 11 this game , good thing no one is basing their opinions of players off of one game . Over the course of the preseason dmo has been equally as good or better than jones and has played much better team defense .

I do not know how dmo would play with the starters because outside of one five minute stretch he has not been given a real opportunity. The fact that he has looked very good when he played with the starters may just be due to small sample size or there may actually be something there. I lean towards the latter being true.

Going back to last season , dmo had some games where he singlehandedly turned momentum . The Dallas game vs dirk and the Memphis game vs Randolph. Look he has not always been consistent, in fact he is consistently inconsistent. But the huge potential is there , equal to or greater than jones . And based off the fact that he has outplayed jones this preseason he does deserve or at least a rational person should get him some minutes with the staters to see what actually happens.

Because of his more explosive and fluid athletism , Jones was able to find a niche a lot more easily than dmo . Jones can fit as a garbage man who can grab some rebounds and finish some buckets . Despite the size , Dmo lacks the explosiveness and coordination to do this as consistenly as jones . That being said, Dmo's ability to play defense within the scheme and ability to keep the ball moving on offense should afford him the opportunity to play, until he adjusts and finds his niche.

I think an argument can be made that dmo has not adjusted as much to the NBA game as jones . But this preseason he has looked really really solid at times and not just with the offensive flash of a nice post move but also with the solid D . He needs to get more minutes with good players to help him speed up his adjustment period and fulfill some of his promise .

I just find it inexcusable that with the effort he has put in to improve and the games he has had to back it up ( despite inconsistency) dmo hasn't gotten a legitimate chance to start. Meanwhile jones who from the looks of things so far is the same player he was last year .. Gets handed starts and pt despite his flaws.

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Ok here is my argument because I feel like I may have gone into too much depth.

PF is a position everyone here agrees needs an upgrade whether by acquisition or by a player on our roster improving . We have a player on our roster that is currently (in the preseason) outplaying or playing as well as the incumbent . Give him a preseason start to see how he meshes with the starters.

As simple as that .

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dmo had started games last year and was inconsistent. He did not excel at being a PF or a backup C

He had flashes of brillance and the main issue was he was fouling out. He attempted many shots and ended up making few of them

He got better obviously but it is significantly enough. Yes. He was nearly out of rotation altogether so I think becoming a valuable member of that 8-10 man rotation is a huge step for him.

He will get his chance again when injuries happen. It usually happens that way in regular season.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

They should start Adrien or Black.

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Tldr.

Saw first sentence amd realized you have no idea what you are on about.

Enjoy!!!

6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I completely agree. I was saying Adrien or Dorsey (defensive purposes) during the offseason but now I'm seeing it Adrien or Black. I like Jones coming off the bench giving us offense.

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

why the F is this guy still allowed to launch up 3's?

8. Normalus

Normalus Member

Motie proabably took Kobe quote for grand, yet he can't be good for b2b games...at all
    "I rather miss 30 shots than miss first 9 and stop shooting'' Kobe Bryant

9. sfayner

sfayner Member

If Dmo was 6 10 instead of 7 ft, nobody would be interested in him. Well, guess what? He plays like he's 6 7 and he's a poor shooter to boot. Would be great if we could get a 2nd rounder for him

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I had high hopes for DMo; a legit 7 footer with good mobility, post up game, ball skills, and high IQ. Instead, his post game is wildly inconsistent to poor, his range isn't there, and despite being decent on rotations provides zero rim protection.

Both he and Jones have been outplayed by Black and Adrien not just in terms of production, but in effort. If we can't have great talent at the position we might as well have hustle. DMo and Jones are both going into their third year and really need to look better. The PF position will be a big struggle for us this year.

11. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

12. BonziWellsGOAT

Based off the four games or so he played this year it didn't look like he regressed, he looked about the same, actually more aggressive on the boards if anything. I just don't think it's enough time to say one way or another. Plus having D-Mo coming off the bench boosts the 2nd unit more than if Jones did.

13. BonziWellsGOAT

lol just realized this thread was old

14. ptealixpaint

ptealixpaint Member

How can you say Jones has regressed? Cause he's injured? He was like 25-12 the game before the injury.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I'm guessing you are wishing you could rescind that post! :grin:

17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

[​IMG]

#77 Tfor3, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  18. bongman

bongman Member

Didn't we have the highest point differential during the start of the year when TJ was playing? Either way, small sample size for both so it would be difficult to tell.

19. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Lol. To be fair though about a month ago I was wishing we could get a 2nd rounder for him.

20. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member