1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andrea Yates verdict ?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DAROckets, Mar 12, 2002.

1. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

The jury has reached a decision ....they are waiting for the jury to enter.

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Anybody remember that scene in The Green Mile where that guy forgot to wet the sponge before electrocuting the prisoner, and the dude's head caught fire?

It's times like this I wish that Texas fried people...

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

great news :rolleyes:

really, not that it doesnt keep us on our toes, but why not just wait until the verdict is actually announced and them post it here, possibly with a link. There is no prize, as far as I know of (someone tell me if there is!) for starting a thread about a topic first.

Anyhoo, maybe you were looking for predictions?? I'll go with guilty, knew what she was doing, death penalty, etc.

4. DAROckets

Guilty as charged

5. DAROckets

Yea I was looking for a prize :rolleyes:

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

haha...what do i win?

i just dont think you drown your 5 little kids and try and get off.

7. DAROckets

I don't have much faith in our courts,and was actually expecting her to get off.One thing they kept bringing up ,was the failure to provide a motive..I thought that might have been the sticking point with the jury.I'm glad they did the right thing..imo.

8. Princess

Princess Member

This is such a sad day.

I can't believe you actually think she murdered her kids and is "trying to get off."

This woman is severly ill. Not ill like serial killers are ill. She's very depressed, actually beyond that.

She should not have kept having children just because her husband wanted her to. He should have seen that she was in trouble. Her neighbors saw she was in trouble. Most of them thought she should not be around her children, but they couldn't really prove anything or do much.

Locking her in prison for life or executing this woman will not do any good at all. She is not an evil person who will do this again, provided that she gets treatment. What she needs is help. She needs therapy and probably medication.

Most of the men I've talked to about this think she's horrible (but I'm not accusing anyone here). Most of them don't understand this woman and her problems. I've seen that more women can sympathize and understand her problem.

I feel very very sorry for her, as well as her children and family.

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

It says she attempted suicide twice. If she managed to drown 5 kids at once sucessfully, then how hard was it to end her own life the first time, much less the second time??

Insanity my ass!

10. x34

x34 Member

Actually, she DID murder her kids; I don't know what else it could possibly be called.

She plead "innocent by reason of insanity" because she supposedly didn't know what she did was wrong. But her planning, actions, and her statements prove otherwise.

No doubt, this woman is mentally ill. But innocent? I'm really not surprised about the verdict...I feel it was the right decision. I doubt she will be put to death; more likely she will recieve life in prison (with lots of time spent in a mental institution first)

x34

11. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Don't mess with Texas

12. Old School

Old School Member

Enjoy hell, Andrea.

os

13. Summer Song Giver

drip drip sleep, peace out Ms. Yates

14. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

There were 8 women and 4 men on the jury.

I agree that she was/is probably very ill and, as a result, may not get the death penalty. But, there is little question in my mind that what she did was premeditated murder.

15. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Too bad the husband isn't in a trial of his own as well.

16. haven

haven Member

Post-partem depression is fairly common, isn't it? Yet most of them don't end up murdering their children.

I think there was a massive failure here. Society shouldn't burden women with such expectations, her husband should have noticed more, etc.

However, she needs to be off the streets. I do think she was insane. I usually think people are insane when they kill without motive... it's like something is broken inside of them. But does that mean they're innocent? In some cases, perhaps... especially when they're no danger in the future, as their insanity was triggered as a reaction to a childhood memory, or something.

But Yates has stated she wants to have more children. That is not acceptable. Since we don't sterilize people... there's only one solution: lock her up. In a mental institution, or in jail... I really don't care.

17. TroyBaros

TroyBaros "Special" Friend of Steve Francis

People tend to forget that the ones we need to feel sorry for and pray for are the children she murdered.
    Count them there were 5 kids took of their innocents because she claim to be on the insanity side.

Bottom line is she killed and should be punished to the full extent of the law. problem is people are so damn squemish about sentencing women to death row. I personally thought because it was merely an all female panel jury it would be a hung jury but before they reached there decision you could see here smiling and laughing somewhat before the jurors came back into the room. She was a monster anyway you put it.
    This is a lesson and a statement for every crackpot who decides to kill their children that pleading insanity does not always work.
    Quote from Yates:

The devil wanted me to butcher them but I said no way I will kill them my own way By drowning them.:confused:

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What's sick is that people are so willing to put her to death. I'm sad that her 5 children are dead. I'm sad that so many people want her dead.

19. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I think she should be put in jail for life and receive psychiatric help. what she did was sick and horrible but killing
    her wont solve anything

20. Elvis Costello

If she doesn't fit the defintion of someone who was not in control of her own faculties then who can be defined that way? It wasn't merely post-partum depression..she was clinically scizophrenic and pyschotic. There were warning signs all over the place. This is a tragic situation enough as it is. Is it really going to make you feel better if she "fries" (or whatever your euphemism for executing her)? This is not a question of her trying to get away with murder...in her twisted mind she thought killing her children was for their own good. The trial testimony said that she was obsessed with "saving" her kids..even to the point that she killed them. There was no history of her abusing, or neglecting her kids..in fact, she was considered a good mother. Paula Yates is clearly insane. Getting her treatment and putting her in prison for the rest of her life isn't approving of what she did by any means. I agree with Haven that there was a great breakdown in the system for this to have happened, but how does anyone fully prepare to avert a mother killing her children? If a person is truly insane what "message" can society send to them? The societal taboo against killing your own children is so fundamental that this irrelevant anyway. I think this was a really horrible tragedy and I don't see how calling for more blood can help anything.