1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

University of Texas study suggests Violent Crime Drops Where People Have Access to mar1juana

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Apr 13, 2014.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

"In the most recent paper, published online in March in the scientific journal PLoS ONE, researchers at the University of Texas at Dallas reported that the enactment of laws legalizing people’s access to medical mar1juana is not associated with any rise in statewide criminal activity, and that it may even be related to reductions in incidences of violent crime. "

The Effect of Medical mar1juana Laws on Crime: Evidence from State Panel Data, 1990-2006

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I don't think anyone has advocated that using mar1juana gives one violent tendencies. Its not the mar1juana that brings crime, its the individuals engaging in illegal activities.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I don't understand what you are trying to say. So a certain % of people that use mar1juana engage in illegal activities??

I'm pretty sure a certain % of people that frequent Starbucks engage in illegal activities also, so caffeine logically should be outlawed?

4. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qZqYV9KKOZQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

UT Dallas is a fine institution. The results of that study, no doubt made with the highest standards of academia, shouldn't surprise anyone, however. While I wouldn't know what weed looked like if someone hit me over the head with that 16 foot tall plant I never saw in a friend's backyard over 40 years ago, anecdotal evidence points to "stoned" or "loaded" enemies of Bogart not having the least bit of desire to do more than open another box of Oreo cookies. Violent crime? It's hard to get out of the recliner and look for the remote, so one can turn up the original Star Wars flick being watched for the 9th time, or so I have heard.

1 person likes this.
  6. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Go to the most violent prison in Panama and allow mar1juana use....let's see what would happen.

7. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i believe he's saying in the states where mar1juana is illegal, the illegal trafficking of it results in violent crimes. violent crime involved in the mar1juana trade decreases once it's legally regulated.

they would create a black market for it and cause violent crime over the product as it is where mar1juana continues to be illegal

this whole thing isn't about the individual becoming less violent after smoking a joint. rather it is taking away the illegal trafficking of mar1juana, which leads to violent crimes.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yes, you make illegal things legal and crime goes down. Mkay... next study.

9. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i know you're just being a smartass, but the violence related to mar1juana trafficking goes down whether it's deemed a crime or not.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I find UT Dallas to be more credible than UT in this matter. My first thought was that UT Austin would not be considered an unbiased source.

1 person likes this.
  11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

What would happen?

12. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It will be interesting to see what happens regarding crime rates in CO and WA with recreational mar1juana legal.

14. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

why do universities waste time/money/effort on **** that we already know as common sense?

15. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

My first thought too, but obviously the answer is for future regulations purposes. Someone will get their greedy hands on the study and try to regulate something, ANYTHING from it. Such is politics these days.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

As CometsWin said, you make something that was illegal, legal, then crime rates should expect to drop.

I'm more interested in a study of how much money we're saving by discontinuing the War on mar1juana

17. bongman

bongman Member

I can see DUI for cannabis increasing if it is easier to obtain.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

costs of enforcement
    costs of trials
    costs of imprisonment for non-violent offenders, who always will have a felony record
    loss of tax revenue
    loss to society ostracizing basically good people
    loss of credibility with regard to the real problems with some drugs, and alcohol
    restricting possible positive medical effects (depression mainly)
    costs to Mexico losing their country to cartels (coke, meth and heroin mostly though)

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Excellent point! :-D-