1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Recap: Despite loss, Rockets come to play in Game 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1 person likes this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great recap Clutch! Good call on that Beverley/Eric Bledsoe comparison! ;-) That's just the kind of play we need next to Harden.

I was amazed by those Greg Smith +/- numbers. Wow. Might as well give T Jones some run there backing up Asik. How much worse can it get?

Really interesting to see the Rockets and Warriors go small and net good results. Other than some anomaly teams like Lakers (Howard/Gasol) and Grizz (Gasol/Randolph) it really seems like you are seeing more "combo forwards" playing that PF spot. One "big" and 2 interchangable forwards. Guys like Carmello, Lebron and Durant are getting minutes at the PF spot. It is a different league. It is also why I could see the Rockets looking for a forward like that in Josh Smith depending on how things go in the Dwight FA.

4. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Great write up.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Deuce... and I got that from you :) Good call on that Bledsoe comparison.

It will be very interesting to me to see what the Rockets do this offseason from a personnel standpoint as far as whether they fully embrace their "Harden and the three-point shooters" offense or try to become more of a defensive team. Boy, if they get Dwight (and I know it's a ridiculously slim shot), it will be a fascinating summer.

Very true. It really works so well for Miami and OKC because they have several defensive players or guys with length who can switch and defend players from point guards to power forwards, and on the other end, it's not like fours can stay with any of those superstars. I remember the end of the game at home against the Heat -- their ability to switch seamlessly contained the Rockets.

I could see where Josh Smith would be a big help... I'd still probably be disappointed if that's the summer splash. I believe strongly that Smith (and his agent) will be calling the Rockets expressing his interest.

Thank you.

6. TheJet

TheJet Member

The blatant elbow from Perkins to Harden under the basket was another blown call. In real time I thought it might have been incidental. A space clearing move. The replay clearly shows different. I wouldn't be shocked if a fine came down. We've seen fines for less.

Since it happened so fast I suppose it's not as ridiculous as the holding call on Parsons, but it was another straw for the camel's back.

Nice piece.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Very good write-up, and very close to what I would have said.

I would add that I liked what I saw from Beverly in Game 1 and was mad when he came in, played well, then got pulled (see also, Fire McHale threads) so that Lin could continue to struggle. But Lin probably needed that trial by fire to get the jitters out, and I hope to hell he's okay. Last night's lineup gave us a shot.

8. Reach

Reach Member

What I never understood was why Delfino would be placed at the 4 spot in place of Parsons whenever Mchale wanted to space the floor. Parsons has the rebounding prowess and the height to bother true 4's and he shoots the 3 just as well as Delfino does.

9. Roxs

Roxs Member

Very good recap. It has a lot of analysis instead of just a summary of what happened during the game like most other fan sites - things we can read of ESPN or the AP.

This kind of material is something the Rockets basketball community is surely lacking.

Just curious, how long does it take you to write each of these?

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Awesome write up, Clutch.

I expect Terrence Jones to get more run the next game. His ability to change shots (which has surprised me a bit, as he got under 2 a game in college which isn't elite) at the rim as well as his foot speed are just much better than Greg Smith's - he's potentially a far more disruptive defender that could cause more trouble against the PnR for Westbrook or Durant. OKC is so tough for our team because they have a front line essentially of long, athletic near 7 footers. Jones, (moreso than Smith), is the only guy on our team with that type of athleticism+size.

The rebounding has been interesting storyline for me. We've managed to outrebound them by forcing them to go small - our guards are better rebounders than their guards. Similarly, when they had just Ibaka in at the 5, we had a lot of success on the offensive glass off of drives, forcing Ibaka to contest because Smith/Asik/et. al will destroy their guards on the glass.

I thought we got a couple of ticky tack makeup calls after the Perkins hold on Parsons, but it was too late at that point.

Josh Smith is interesting, but I'm more concerned with having another option to carry the offensive load. Is Millsap that guy? I think Morey may find him especially intriguing, given he has range on his jumper and is somewhat disruptive of a defender himself. Smith scores more per game, but has always struck me as more of a tertiary option. Will be interesting to see.

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Fantastic write-up, Clutch. Can't wait for Game 3 to see how these two teams counter each other. It feels great to finally have playoff basketball back in Houston.

12. Reach

Reach Member

This exactly. For all his athleticism and finishing ability, Greg Smith has absolutely no clue as to how to position himself on the defensive end. That one Westbrook play infuriated me when it happened.

1 person likes this.
  13. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

Tell me more about Beverley going "hard on both ends." :grin:

14. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Another reason teams are successful going small is that most teams have at least one big guy who can't hurt you even if he's being guarded by a smaller guy. Perkins, for instance, can only hurt you on the boards no matter who is covering him.

There just aren't that many post up guys these days, and it doesn't seem like that's going to change any time soon.

15. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Great recap...I too think that the Rockets wouldve won this game if a few more open looks, and threes that were in rhythm were made...we wouldve had a tied series heading back home...but "if its and buts were candy and nuts..."

Regardless, hoping for an equally competitive game in the Toyota Center...Go Rockets..