1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kendrick Perkins Unsure About Future

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bongo33, Jan 4, 2011.

1. bongo33

bongo33 Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AoPTbg6v26Ey3ybajt._xza8vLYF?slug=mc-perkinsceltics010311

It’s been nearly seven months since Kendrick Perkins(notes) crumbled to the court and clutched his right knee in Game 6 of the NBA Finals. Seven months that included reconstructive surgery, a lengthy rehabilitation process and a whole lot of sitting and watching. Seven months to wonder what could have been.

Through it all, Perkins has never wavered from his belief that had he not been injured in the opening minutes of Game 6 and missed Game 7, the Boston Celtics would have secured their one missing victory over the Los Angeles Lakers and celebrated their second title in three years.

“For sure,” Perkins said, “we would have won the championship.”

Kendrick Perkins tore his right anterior cruciate ligament in Game 6 of the Finals.
    Perkins is still recovering from the injury – which included a tear of his anterior cruciate ligament – and hopes to make his return next month, at the latest. For now, he’s just one of the many wounded Celtics. Kevin Garnett(notes) and Delonte West(notes) remain sidelined, Rajon Rondo(notes) just returned and Shaquille O’Neal(notes) and Jermaine O’Neal(notes) also have missed significant time this season.

The Celtics have somehow managed to cling to the Eastern Conference’s best record, which is why Perkins believes they will win this season’s championship if they’re all healthy for the playoffs.

“In seven games I don’t think we can be beat by any team,” he said. “Too deep. Too much experience. Too many hard-working guys. Too many guys that have a chip on their shoulder.”

Perkins might be more driven than any of the Celtics, considering the way his season ended. While Rondo, Garnett, Paul Pierce(notes) and Ray Allen(notes) get most of the credit for Boston’s success in recent years, Perkins has done a lot of the dirty work that often goes unnoticed – until he’s not around to provide it.

“Over the past three years the guys have grown a trust in him,” said Celtics general manager Danny Ainge. “He means a lot.”

Perkins says the best-case scenario has him returning in late January. He doesn’t expect to immediately start, but given his experience with the system and Shaq’s foul problems, he’ll probably win back the job at some point. Perkins says the Celtics aren’t pressuring him to return quicker with Garnett out after straining his right calf. Ainge thinks Garnett might even be back before the initial two-week diagnosis.

“I’m thinking right before the All-Star Break I will get a few games in, but maybe a little sooner than that,” Perkins said. “Things are going well. I haven’t had any setbacks or anything like that.”

Perkins also has another important reason to make sure he’s healthy before he returns: He’s in the last season of his contract. The New York Knicks, Oklahoma City Thunder, Houston Rockets and New Jersey Nets are among the teams that expect to have salary-cap space after the season. One NBA executive whose team will have cap space this summer said Perkins’ health will be the biggest concern for his possible suitors.

Perkins, 26, is from Beaumont, Texas, and figures to draw interest from the Rockets and Thunder. Still, he’d prefer to return to the Celtics, whose payroll for next season is already projected to be about $74 million, provided Allen and Shaq don’t opt out of their contracts.

“I will show that I’m back and there are no issues with my knee,” said Perkins, who is making $4.4 million this season. “I will have a bright future as far as free agency. We will see how this season turns out and how it goes from there.

“I want to be with the Celtics, but I got to think about my future.”

2. bongo33

bongo33 Member

I don't know, he's so sucky offensively that I don't know if he's the right choice. Should this go in the GARM? Because its somewhat relating to the Rockets?

3. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Imagine a taller Chuck Hayes who can block shots

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

But he's elite defensively and we need defense. I don't see the problem. What two way center are the Rockets in a position to obtain? Yao Ming?

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

We are not going to get a big in the draft. Any big we get in a trade will cost us more than he is worth. If we can sign him with the money we are under the cap I would do it. Denver isn't going to let Nene walk away for free. Dallas won't let Chandler walk away for free. Maybe Dalembert will be available but I doubt that because the Kings will be so far under the cap will have to spend money on something. Perkins is about as good as we can get for the money we would have available. And that is only if Boston decides not to sign him. Which is doubtful. You don't win championships penny pinching. They could use Perkins to amke another run.

6. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

26 years old, defensive center

Fits the bill.

Ger done Morey ;)

7. bongo33

bongo33 Member

Yup come to think of it we do suck at D... Get er' done Morey!

8. plates300

plates300 Member

He doesn't need offense. As long as he can get the chip shots, all he needs to do is control the paint and the boards. He fits the bill perfectly.

9. moreyball

moreyball Member

Probably the meanest looking player in the NBA, and he always looks pissed...DO WANT!!!

10. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

11. bongo33

bongo33 Member

12. bongo33

bongo33 Member

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am sure Morey will go after him for a decent amount.....why not? As long as he is healthy.

DD

14. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

This is the last time he smiled.

1 person likes this.
  15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yes, please. I'm hoping for Gerald Wallace or Iggy before the deadline and adding Perkins or Gasol in the summer. Pairing a combo of these 4 with Martin, Lowry and Scola would make us legit.

Road wins against quality opponents would be much easier to come by next season.

16. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

I played against him in high school. When his team was beating other teams by 60+ he still never smiled.

1 person likes this.
  17. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

He needs Jesus Christ.

1 person likes this.
  18. AB423

AB423 Member

He can't be that bad if he was making baskets at 60% clip last year.

19. mrjuandiego1988

we need a freaking center!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no more playing around!!!! this month is going to get really nasty if we dont do something now...at least get a dude from the d-league!!!! and send ish to the d-league

20. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

wait for him to heal first...