1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kirk Snyder

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kwame, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Why doesn't he get more mins?

I know he can't shoot, but I don't see how that's different from anybody else. However, when he does get mins, he comes into games cold for a moment or two and plays well. He has a good build and NBA body. He doesn't have bad handles, he's very active, and athletic (something the Rockets lack). He has all the tools to be a good defender. Yao wondered out loud why he really didn't play in the playoffs last year.

I remember catching a few games when he played for Utah and the Hornets and I liked what I saw. Can he contribute or help? You would think he would be ideal for this new offense once the players master it. He can't be any worse than Luther Head. I would like to see him get some more mins to see what he can do, because I don't think we really know.

2. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

He is a poor decision maker who is quite selfish in his decisions of when to shoot and pass. He is a poor jumpshooter who likes to go for the jumpshot over the drive to the basket, which he happens to be good at.

He's a solid 3rd string SF...that's it.

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Pretty good assessment. I would only add he looked better when he first got here both athletically and smartz wise. He has definitely declined in both areas and he seems a little mental at times.

4. Kwame

You've gotten all this from the 10-15 mins per game that he's played since he's got here or are you including his time with the Jazz and Hornets as well? I know he had some attitude problems earlier in his career which is why the Rockets were able to get him so cheaply, but he seems to have put that stuff behind him and I really haven't seen all the negative characteristics you're ascribing to him since he's gotten here. He's not a good shooter, but to say he's a poor decision maker who is quite selfish when it comes to shooting and passing is a bit much.

My point is that nobody else is really shooting well so why not give Snyder a chance? Can he do any worse than Luther Head? Porbably not. Kirk could've helped against Dallas since the Rockets' smaller guards were getting schooled by Dallas' taller guards. His athleticism could help a team that sorely lacks it.

5. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

because he's only an expiry contract. dont want to see him on court again. no wonder Jerry Sloan and Bryan Scott gave him up.

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Everyone sees Snyder's (very) poor man's Lebron bodytype and hopes it can produce results on the court.

He's like Bonzi with why he even attempts A three pointer at all, when he probably should never shoot one unless 5 feet wide open. Byron Scott was pretty much right about him, he's too offensive minded when he should be applying himself to the other parts of basketball more. Seems to me he hasnt done much of that. How many "cerebral" alert type plays have we seen Snyder make?

I wouldn't mind seeing him get more looks in certain situations though. Maybe even play some spots minutes at the 2 or 3 with the starters, in place of Battier or Chuck. Need SOMEONE to attack the basket sometimes.

7. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

10-15MPG is not enough to accurately assess his productivity, but it sure as hell is enough to decipher one's playing style and tendencies. Snyder is not a willing passer who takes bad shots, and is just not a talented offensive player who simply tries to do too much. If I want a backup who takes bad shots and often tries to do too much but DOES have offensive talent, I'll put in Mike James.

8. Kwame

I disagree. I don't think I've seen enough to come to the conclusion that he is not a willing passer and takes bad shots. Can he do any worse than Luther Head? Is he a more talented offensive player than Luther? Head can't even make an entry pass sometimes and me all know what a poor dribbler he is (not that Snyder is an amazing ball handler). Also, the way Josh Howard abused Head on the offensive end was just ugly. At least when Snyder takes it to the whole he can explode while Head is lucky to get his shot off. I think since Luther Head has been playing so poorly this year some of his mins should go to Snyder. Change things up and give Snyder a chance. If he does the things you think he does then I have no problem sticking him on the end of the bench again.

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Snyder is never going to "get it" while as a Rocket. His biggest contribution to us at this point is his expiring contract.

10. mrdan

mrdan Contributing Member

I was sad to see Snyder drop out of the rotation last year after injuring his hand. I thought he was making progress.

11. withYAO

withYAO Member

I like Kirk Snyder. We have not given he too much chances to show himself.

12. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

I would add to this that he only has a right hand. In all his time here I don't ever remember him going left. That's pretty easy to shut down.

But he does play hard and has a knack for finishing around the basket, which is more than you can say about others. Still though, he's not really worthy of minutes.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Question and answer in your own post.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Correct. Have you not got that as well? You don't need someone to play 25-30 mpg in order to assess them.

15. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

I like your Clutch Fans "classification."

16. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

His best season, in which he started 45 games for the Hornets playing off of Chris Paul, was immediately followed up by him being traded for next to nothing...and it's not like he was strapping them in terms of cap space. They just wanted to get rid of him.

He hasn't done anything significant here either, for 2 different coaches with completely different offensive mentalities. If neither coach has seen anything in him that says he deserves significant minutes, then there probably isn't anything that says he deserves significant minutes. Just a hunch.

Oh and did I mention that the guy has no passing skills, he takes a full 2 seconds to gather himself for a jumpshot, and he has absolutely no left hand? Wow, he dunked though! :eek:

17. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Kirk is no doubt a very athletic player. But the fact about what he did to the rockets bench years back implies that he's got some mental issues.

18. Rowdie Brandon

kirk snyder fits the prototype of what's wrong with the NBA....athletic players will no actual talent.............I have nothing against the guy, but that jumpshot is one of the ugliest things that I've ever seen.....he shoots so bad it makes me wish Rafer was taking his jumpers......

19. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

He's athletic. That's it.

His handle IS worse than average, and he has absolutely no idea where he is in the offense. He looks to drive to the basket, but when nothing is immediately there for him, he's worthless. He's not a very high IQ player. This is why he really hasn't seen a ton of success anywhere, despite his physical ability.

We have GOT to package this guy in a trade somehow. There's got to be someone out there who thinks they can get something more out of him--even if they're wrong. Guys like him will always have some value (see Swift, Stromile).

20. Mooch

Mooch Member

hope he never plays