1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Chronicle] Texans trade Babin to Seattle for Boulware

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rikesh316, Sep 1, 2007.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5101129.html

By JOHN MCCLAIN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

The Texans traded defensive end Jason Babin to Seattle today for safety Michael Boulware.

Babin, a former no. 1 draft choice, had a good training camp and preseason, but the Texans have been desperate because of injuries at safety.

The Texans lost Glenn Earl early in training camp.

Rookie Brandon Harrison suffered a severely pulled hamstring in practice today and could be placed on injured reserve.

Starters C.C. Brown and Jason Simmons are playing with bruised shoulders.

Boulware has been a regular starter for the Seahawks.

He covers well and is an effective pass rusher. He should be able to contribute immediately.

2. askball

askball Member

wow....pretty big news. Good trade in my opinion. Surplus of d-lineman allows you to corner the market and acquire players that fill your holes

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Trade a 3rd down pass rusher for a starter. Great move. Babin looks good in the preseason but he is only a 3rd down rusher. Earl Cochran in my opinion gives you more could he could rush the passer and play the run. Boulware instantly becomes your best safety and is good versus the run and is becoming better against the pass. He has had 11 INT in 3 seasons and well all know the Texans need playmakers.

4. liamrock

liamrock Contributing Member

excellent move by rick smith.....boulware should fill in quite nicely......it's looking good guys!

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Boulware got benched last season for taking too many gambles in pass coverage, but he's still a better safety than anyone on the Texans roster imo. Still young, too. Given the depth on the D-Line and the sad state of the secondary, I'm happy with the move.

6. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I thought this was Peter Boulware haha. I thought Babin was taking steps forward this season. Oh well, the Texans needed an upgrade at safety badly.

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Really like this move. Boulware is solid and we had a need. Babin is worth it

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Man, we gave up 3 picks for Babin. What a crap loss in return to our team. Thank goodness he's gone and we get a starter in return who will produce for this team.

Finally I can say our secondary is decent.

9. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Would Casserly have made this move? HELL NO!!!

Thank God for Rick Smith!!

10. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

at least rick smith is cleaning up charley casserly's mess. this is a great trade. babin couldn't hang in the 4 - 3 defense. :D

11. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Will Demps was also cut today. He would also be upgrade in this secondary.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

babin was showing some life this season.

it's going to suck if he gets 10 sacks in seattle or disrupt the o-line often in a game.

13. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I don't really like the move...but i don't know much about Boulware.

Babin was our sack leader last year and it would have been great to see how much better he would have been in his 2nd year back on the line. The guy spent his first couple years as a LB.

The Texans Brass must have a lot of faith in Williams, Weaver and Okoye. If you can't rush the QB, it doesn't matter who you have in the backfield.
    I wish we weren't so desperate in the secendary.

14. conquistador#11

DOUBLE SPLASH :eek: I think the move will also benefit babin, good move for both parties.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I love this move.

We finally have a real safety.

16. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I think they were willing to move Babin because of the emergence of Earl Cochran. Kubiak really likes him and Kalu also looked in the preseason. All you have to know is that Jason Simmons was your starting strong safety. He is career reserve cornerback playing safety and is 5'9, 198 lbs which is really small for a strong safety.

17. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Good move for the Texans.

18. htownballa23

htownballa23 Contributing Member

good pickup IMO, I still wasnt sold on Babin after this preseason.

Hopefully now he doesn't turn out to be what we were hoping for before.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

You also have Kalu who played well in the preseason, Cochran has also shown some things, but Kubiak has also talked about playing Oor opposite of Mario in certain situations.

This is a good trade IMO because I thought w/o a doubt the secondary was lacking talent and depth.

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

doesn't matter what Babin does to me.

Great trade. We so badly needed a real safety. The pressure from the D line needs to come...whether Babin is here or not, our consistent D line pressure wasn't gonna be up to him. Hopefully we can achieve it with the guys playing most of the downs