1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Lebron tops Carmelo for NBA ROY

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by vunny1408, Apr 17, 2004.

1. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

The coronation is complete. LeBron James will be named rookie of the year by the NBA, Bloomberg News reports.

James, taken No. 1 overall in the draft last summer, is the first Cleveland Cavalier to win the award.

James

He beat out Carmelo Anthony, who helped lead the Denver Nuggets to the playoffs in his first season.

James averaged 20.9 points, 5.9 assists and 5.5 rebounds per game as Cleveland improved from 17-65 in 2002-03 to 35-47 in 2003-04.

"I think overall I had a very successful season, but not because of my statistical categories," James said Wednesday after the Cavaliers beat the New York Knicks in their final game of the season. "I look at the team, and we doubled plus one our wins from last year. And we got better from Day 1 until now."

Anthony averaged 21.0 points, 2.8 assists and 6.1 rebounds per game as Denver improved from 17-65 to 43-39.

The NBA will announce the award on Tuesday.

Last year, the award also was won by a player straight out of high school -- Amare Stoudemire of the Phoenix Suns.

------------------------
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1784618
    -------------------------

When so much weight was put on in last year's vote with regards to which rookie was able to help their teams reach the playoffs (i.e. Stoudemire vs Yao), you'd think Melo had a chance to be at least co-Rookie or even win the whole thing.

I do not understand what the difference between this years voting and last years voting. Bron & Melo had similar stats this year (although Bron was a little bit better rebounding wise). Stoudemire & Ming last year had similar stats as well, but Stoudemire was picked for ROY. This year the scenario was the same but the outcome was different. Bron & Ming was all hype when they came in, both matched the hype and pressure. Their closest rivals for ROY (Melo & Stoudemire) helped their teams to the playoffs, but Bron got ROY whereas Ming did not.

ANyway, I know this is in the past but heck I don't know what voters decisions were based on. Anyway, Yao's in the playoffs this year, Stoudemire is in the pits. Eat that.

2. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Lebron was much better assist wise (not rebounding).

I think the big difference between this year and last year is that Denver's team was almost completely new this season. Miller, Boykins, Barry, healthy Camby, Lenard...

I also think a lot of people realize now they made a mistake last year by giving it to Stoudemire instead of Ming.

3. sup123

sup123 Member

IMO carmelo got shafted; lebron couldnt even get his team into the playoffs in the eastern confernce. Also carmelo shots better, rebound about the same, and only has less assist.

4. HoneyNut Ichiro

HoneyNut Ichiro Contributing Member

I really hate to play the race card, but I'm convinced now that Yao was judged last year based on things other than basketball ability. The ROY race this year was almost a carbon copy of last year's in terms of stats and team impact. Wasn't winning supposed to held above all else? Ming's stats were slightly better than Amare's last year just as LeBron's stats were slightly better than Melo's this year. Isn't the playoffs supposed to be the tiebreaker? I don't get it.

I believe that there were many people out to get Yao Ming last year, and it was evident in the voting patterns. I haven't seen the numbers yet for this year's vote, but I'll be pissed if LeBron won overwhelmingly. But congrats to him, he should be ROY this year, just like Yao shoulda been last year.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

As a big man, Yao had to bring up better numbers typical to RoY winners who were centers in the past. Maybe Yao had to work twice as hard to get that honor because of his race. Who knows for sure?

This year, they bought into the hype plain and simple. It shows what a crock the voting process is.

6. Summer Song Giver

I see your point but remember this, Denver had been improving over atleast the past three maybe four years, really ever since Kiki became GM. Carmelo was just the final piece to make that team into a playoff team. Whereas Lebron put Cleveland on the map, that place was a wasteland for about ten-twelve years atleast; would have stayed that way were it not for Lebron.

Just for the record and I'm not usually a proponent of the CO-ROYs but this year was one where I think it would have been best, they were both equally great for their respective teams.

7. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

1999-2000 -- 35-47
    2000-01 -- 40-42
    2001-02 -- 27-55
    2002-03 -- 17-65

Sorry, numbers don't back the argument. I hate to say it, but I agree with teh choice. The best player should get the award, not the player who's team went to the playoffs. Amare getting it over Yao was a joke, and Melo getting it over Bron, well, while it wouldn't be a joke (both had VERY similar numbers), it probably would have been the wrong choice. Co-ROY's was my choice, Bron deserves it though if you have to choose one.

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

It is easy to understand, it is called hypocracy. Voters of these things don't use logic and consistency, it is based on hype and highlights.

I would have voted Melo, but I don't have a big problem with Lebron votes, you can make a case he might be the slightly better player with slightly more impact. I wouldn't because Anthony is a little more polished offensiovely, but it is somewhat reasonable argument.

Last year was a joke though, there was no question Yao was the better player with greater impact than Amare.

As for a lot of the voters justification "well Lebron had so many expectations to meet, he was under the microscope all the time, he had a tougher transition than Anthony--bla, bla, bla", where were those arguments last year 90% of the NBA and media trying to dissect every little than about Yao.

9. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Oh I would really like to hear those people who picked Amare last year and Lebron this year try to defend themselves. Someone with lots of time on their hands should dig up some of these blubbering idiots.

10. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

CO-ROY MY A$$! IF they did that it , it would also proved that Yao got robbed last year.

11. sup123

sup123 Member

ill add that it looks like flash also won it again. Lebron and Amare do flashy plays often. While Carmelo and yao dont do it that often.

12. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

this is pure bs! two outstanding and most deserving rookies for the past two years got shafted and got jacked for ROY! first was yao, now melo! this is plain bs! im not saying lebron doesnt deserve it, but melo deserved it better. he practically carried his team to the playoffs.. this is so sad! :mad:

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

LeBron did very well but Carmelo deserves to be ROY.

14. Coolrush

Coolrush Contributing Member

Yea, I think carmelo should have won or at least it should have been Co-ROY.

15. sup123

sup123 Member

who votes for this thing? fan or coaches or what?

16. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

the ******* sportswriters

17. Summer Song Giver

lol
    I guess the numbers don't reall support my theory but I still think maybe despite the numbers that since Kiki has been GM they are heading in the right direction. Regarding last year, for whatever reason they decided they were absolutely not going to give it to Yao thougfh he was deserved.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Should have been at least Co-ROY - same reasoning as last year - similar stats for Amare and Yao, Amare's team got into the playoffs, so the argument was that was reason enough for Amare to get it.

And arguably, Carmelo had more to do with the Nugz reaching the playoffs than Amare did last year for the Suns.

Seems to me like Carmelo is one of these "winner" players...has won with his teams pretty much on every level, no?

There are a lot of players with great stats who cannot say the same about their teams.

19. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Co-Roy sounds fair and just -- but it's the sum of the votes, and each writer has to cast a favourite...so i don't think any individual voter can vote for Co-Roy.

Sports-writers are a biased bunch. Before last year, it was assumed Yao would be too soft and was several years away before learning the NBA game. He was much stronger than most had hoped for, but not enough to break that bias in some voters minds. It was enough to give the edge to Stoudemier.

This year, the award was Labron's to lose. He was expected to win it hands down, so Carmello would have had to be much better in order to take it from him. Lebron pretty much lived up to his hype. Carmello was just as good, IMO, (and had a more successful season in a harder conference) but the edge going in that Lebron had, was just too hard to overcome.

It was a good Rookie year.

20. ILuvEddie33

ILuvEddie33 Member

I think Carmelo should have won! Last year it was the same bullsh*t!! DOn't give me no sh*t about how LeBron had so many expectations because last year Yao had a lot of expectations to!!!!! and last year Amare won it cuz he took his team to the playoffs EXACTLY what Carmelo did and Lebron didnt! So how u gonna give it to Lebron when Carmelo deserved it more!! PLUS Lebron plays in the East and Melo plays in the WEST and both improved their teams because Denver and Clevland had the SAME EXACT record!