1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Adelman's Circle of Trust

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If the last game showed anything, it shows how Rick Adelman reacts to adversity: give minutes to guys who he trusts.

During the losing streak, people talked about changes-- playing this new guy or that (Landry, Brooks), trading TMac or Yao, etc... but it seems that Coach Adelman's reaction to losing is not to play around with new toys, but to give the minutes to the guys who have performed the most, and cut/eliminate minutes to guys who hasn't show up prepared, cut the rotation down to those who have earned the minutes, earned the trust.

Note that last night, a close game the Rockets very much had to win, the starters each played heavy minutes, with a few odd ones going to Bonzi, Head, and Scola. Adelman didn't play around, he went to the guys who deliver. It's the same thing that eventually happened on last year's team: the rotation was shortened to only those who had shown preparation and consistency.

Right now, it looks like those who played last night were in Adelman's circle of trust, and guys like Steve and Mike had their chance, but simply failed to take advantage of it.

Personally, I hope this sends a message to Steve and Mike to come in more prepared and focused. The ship is leaving the port, they have to decide whether they want on or not.

2. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

One thing I can't blame the Coach for is benching Mike James. I mean, I'm think his shooting the long ball can help us a lot, but shot selection, which has been documented here a lot, and more important, his defense drive me crazy.

Most of the time this season, and the same goes for Bonzi at times, he just gives ZERO effort on the defensive end. He lets his man drive by and makes a half-hearted attempt at the ball. On other plays, he will just foul the guy for no reason. That has got to change for Mike to get playing time.

3. battousai

battousai Member

head deserved some PT behind alston. it seems like he play better being a pg than a sg.

MJ and SF really need to wake up and smell the coffee. SF should of prove to everyone that he deserved to start when alston was out. too bad, he was still out of shape and rythm.

4. Fuse

Fuse Member

This sounds like Meet the Fokkers... :D

5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

It's not an accident that James and Francis were available for what we paid for them.

6. New Jack

New Jack Member

In the offseason, I was vehemently against giving up Luther Head for nothing, and this is exactly why.

It was extremely unlikely that the trio of Bonzi Wells, Mike James, and Steve Francis would all have good seasons.

7. tony959

tony959 Member

The game did not in ADleman style.
    Yao plays so many time.40 or 42?
    Did you notice what Adleman reply ESPN? "I don't know. They just shoot better.”

8. kwng

kwng Member

Head play reasonably well last night. His shooting is good and we need to him to make his shots. He did not look lost and hopefully he can be back his old self "the cold blooded or ice" player who can take the clutch shot.

9. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Exactly.

People keep harping on how Head is undersized and everything, but the bottomline is, he can play. Who cares if he's an SG or a PG or whatever. It's not like he's starting anyway. Have him come off the bench and start shooting. That's his game in college, that should be his game in the league.

10. Carl Herrera

That's exactly what I was thinking. :cool:

BTW, I wouldn't get too comfy if I were Scola, Head, or Wells yet-- just look at the minutes each of the starters played. Seems like the starting 5 are definitely in the Circle of Trust. After that, Adelman just got three guys to play limited minutes only so that the starting 5 doesn't play 48 mpg each.

Scola, Head, and Wells are not quite yet in the Circle of Trust. They are simply the guys, outside of the starters, whom Adelman though might screw up the least at this moment.

11. Carl Herrera

Actually, this game was exactly in Adelman style. Adelman likes winning, so he put in guys who gave him the best chance to win.

Losing, on the other hand, given the track record, was against Adelman's style.

12. Red1

Red1 Member

13. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

i was very suprised to see luther as the 6th man and was pleasantly suprised with the way he played. he looked sharp, cut hard, made good plays, and just played smart basketball. adelman doesn't play around. he gives people minutes who earn it, and he's not afraid to shake things up. thats a good chance from van gundy.

14. matty101

matty101 Member

Very true my good man, very true.

People were saying that we got these two guys at a bargain price but there is no bargains in the NBA. If a player is good enough to get paid, he will get paid.

Yes you might say that for his price he was "worth the risk" but the 29 other GMs who passed up on the offer have good reasons. These two guys, in particular James, constantly make knucklehead plays, seem disinterested, go through the motions and destroy team chemistry by takimg shots that the offense isnt designed for them to take.

Thats my vent of anger for the day. ;)

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Actually, teams were offering Francis much more than the vets minimum. Just ask the Heat and the Clippers.

16. feihung316

feihung316 Member

Umm, Luther had a decent game. That's all it was. Even Steve and Mike James had their good games. Let's not say Head is our sixth man just yet. He's completely useless if he can't make his jumpshots. No defense, no ball handling, and sometimes HORRIBLE PASSES leading to turnovers.

17. Noely1984

Noely1984 Member

what the hell is Rick doing?? When rafer was playing so many horrible games traight, He didn't change the rotation at all. Francis starts only when Rafer injured. Then after Francis just played two bad games(even first lost was not his bad),Rick kicked Francis out of the rotation...What's the point???He's just unfair...I think we need to Fire Rick Adelman first before trade anyone away...

18. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

It's obvious Luther's earned his trust. I'm glad too. I know a lot of people hate on the guy, but he's the only reliable shooter we have and he plays really well off of Yao.

19. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Note to self...its' a sad thing when you can't even tell when someone is being sarcastic or not.

20. duteman

duteman Member

Head is not a PG if alston's out and he comes in...Tmac is the PG, head can make the simple passes but he does not get the Offense in motion. Last nites game was a good win but we will need a backup PG....Francis to come in and make some moves....

Alston, Tmac = good
    Francis, Head = good
    alston, tmac, francis = awesome
    alston, head = disaster

I dislike Mike James but he is an energy guy...give him his minutes of the bench for the quick scoring he can do but if he's cold take him out and 100% do not let him run the point