1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Westbrook be available?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by copacetic81, May 7, 2012.

1. copacetic81

copacetic81 Member

Hey clutchfans, long time lurker, first time poster. I was thinking about this whole 'get a superstar' approach to team building and tried to make a mental checklist of things that would need to be true to just 'go get' one. If the Thunder fall short this year, maybe playing poorly in the wc finals, do y'all think westbrook might become available to make room for harden to get into the starting line-up? would we accept him, and his ball dominating ways, or could we even put together a package that makes sense? I thought i'd ask the inquiring minds here and see what comes out of the questions.

for what it's worth, i dont really buy into the 'we need a superstar' way of thinking, because i think that is a mis-used term that only a handful of players ever attain. It should come after the fact (big moments, finals appearances, championships) and not from media/ marketing.

2. thething

thething Contributing Member

The answer to your question "Could Westbrook be available?" is no.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah, he will be available for us to sign when he's 35.

4. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I'm not so sure he will. But, I sure as hell would pay very close attention to what OKC does and who they are calling because it is going to be tough to pay Harden, Ibaka, Westbrook and Durant despite their readiness through Collison's contract.

I would love any of those players and believe anyone of them would thrive with more responsibilities on a team like ours.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This.

6. SacTown

SacTown Member

"Get a superstar" doesn't work in Houston. Superstars don't want to play here.

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Just thought of a good plan to snatch him:

Buy hot wigs for K-mart and Parsons, buy them nice dresses and make-up.

Let them walk to Westbrook's hotel room, get him drunk, seduce him and have sex. They secretly film all of it. After the night they confront Westbrook and threaten to release the tape if he doesn't demand a trade to Houston and stops playing for OKC.

8. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

This. Many times over.

9. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

False. Superstars will play where other stars are. Tracy Mcgrady, Charles Barkley, Scottie Pippen...

10. rawool

rawool Member

/thread

11. copacetic81

copacetic81 Member

yeah, my thinking is that if the current roster falls short they might want to move forward with more of their pieces in better contracts, like harden at less than max, allowing them to resign ibaka. but i gues we are little too far out to project those kinds of moves. it is interesting to hear that westbrook is considered to be more 'untouchable' than i thought, the little i have seen was impressive and the numbers speak for themselves, but i keep hearing questions about his fit on durant's team.

12. Raven

Raven Member

Who cares if he'll be 35. Just think of his expiring contract!

:rolleyes:

13. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

This is America, and as an American I say...dumb thread.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, we can get Westbrook if/when the Thunder flop. And then we can get Gasol when/if the Lakers flop. And finally, we can get Bosh if/when the Heat flop.

Hey! We're getting somewhere! :cool:

Not really

:rolleyes:

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Thunder will have a salary cap situation on their hand at the end of next year when they need to sign Harden long term. They are going to go all in this year, and make a decision next season when its time to extend Harden and Ibaka. So yes, I think OKC is an interesting team to watch out for trade deadline 2013.

They will most likely try and move other contracts like Perkins to make room for Harden first foremost. They aren't letting any of their big 3 go until they absolutely have to which is next February if they want to get anything back in return.

16. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

westbrook no

harden yes

17. AggieRocketsFan

If they trade him, it will be in a package for Dwight Howard. Then they could go out and sign Steve Nash.

18. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

They could've traded Harden and Ibaka for him, but they(Thunder) said no.

19. RoxBro

RoxBro Member

I'd rather have Harden than Westbrook. Versatile scorer, willing passer and plays great defense. And I know he wants to start!

20. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

if we do go after harden the only person i can think of trading for him is lowry