1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Beverley's defense make him a top20 PG?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by omgTHEpotential, Dec 14, 2014.

?

Is Pat a TOP20 PG?

1. Yes

100 vote(s)
    69.0%
  2. No

45 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. omgTHEpotential

Pat is great defensively and while his playmaking is sub-par, he can shoot the ball, drive to the basket... That 3PT shot... if he keeps it up, it'll raise his (trade) value even more. Basically, he's a plus offensive player who plays great defense. Is that enough to consider him a top20 PG in this league?

These are the guys that I definitely think are better (in no order really):

Westbrook
    Paul
    Curry
    Lowry
    Wall
    Lawson
    Parker
    Teague
    Irving
    Rose
    D-Will
    Rondo
    Conley
    Lillard
    Holiday
    Dragic
    Bledsoe
    Rubio

^ Those are 18 guys. There are some other guys who might be debatable (Knight, Walker, Thomas, Jennings).

Ton's of talented PGs in this league obviously, and a lot of them are very gifted offensively, but defense is half the game.

So, what say you? Is Pat a top20 PG?

2. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

With his improved shooting, he is definitely top 20, ahead of the debatable ones you listed and a couple on the big list imo

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I think Bev is outside of the top 20.
    Bev isn't here to stat pat on offense, he is here to play defense and that is all. He doesn't facilitate as well as other starting PGs, his only offensive weapon is his dogged determination and his much improved spot up three point jumper.

Outside of that he is very quick, but terrible at challenging players taller than him when he gets past his initial man. Horrendous finisher, which is overlooked because he rarely looks for his own shot anyway, thankfully.

Bev will only thrive on teams where he is the 4th or 5th option, similar to Ariza.
    For us, he looks better than he is because he doesn't have to do much compared to what Rondo would have to do for his team, or CP3.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

In a vacuum, no he isn't. However, cast in this role to play off Harden, play outstanding defense, and shoot threes, he is excellent, maybe the best in the league.

6. cml750

cml750 Member

Thing is that Beverly doesn't really have traditional PG duties. Harden runs the offense most of the time. Bevs job is to play tough defense on the opposing teams PG and hit open 3's (both of which he does very well). He has never been a high assist guy. I am not sure what type of assist numbers he would have if he played a more traditional PG role but for what he is expected to do for this team he does very well, so I say he is a top 20 PG because he plays that position on one of the best teams in the league and is very good at doing what he is expected to do.

7. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

In terms of fit with Harden in the backcourt he is a top 10 pg for the Rockets. Only PGs that would be better with Harden are the obvious allstar PG.

Again I am not saying Beverly is a top 10 pg but in terms of fit with the Rockets and what they are trying to do he is awesome.

8. photojoe

photojoe Member

I agree. Maybe not top 20 PG in the league, but definitely top 10...maybe even top 5...as far as best PG to pair with Harden. As long as he keeps hitting the open 3's like he has been then there really wouldn't be very many PG's that I would rather to play alongside Harden.

9. bongman

bongman Member

To me, it doesn't matter if he is in the top 20 or not. What is important is...is he the best fit for our team's needs? My opinion, yes.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

He is the #1 3&D point guard in the league. It's still hard to get past the fact that he is not great at creating his own shot or a shot for others. He is not a particular good passer although he handles the ball pretty well. Honestly he is more of a shooting guard on offense. Like others, I think this my be ideal for the Rockets because of James Harden but ideally I think you would still want your PG to be a lot better at things like getting the ball to your teammates in the best possible position to score and Pat does not do that. He is also exceptionally bad at throwing the ball into the post, typically late with his passes creating an extra level of difficulty for DMo or D12.

Personally I absolutely think Pat is a top 20 PG because he does multiple things at an elite level... Defense & 3pt shooting.

11. abaker28

abaker28 Member

With all the PG discussion about trading for Rondo, Rubio and Dragic, personally I'd much rather have Beverley. Didn't Worrell call him the heart of the team?
    I'd just rather have a less injury prone Beverley. And I like what Canaan has shown us also as a backup.

12. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

pat is elite.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yes.

Further: yes.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I don't know where Beverley is in point guard rankings...but I know that there aren't too many better fits alongside Harden than he is. It would be a big mistake to let him go.

15. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

Best PG to pair with Harden

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is for sure a top PG and a perfect fit.

DD

17. bongman

bongman Member

Thanks DM for having the vision of what type of PG we'll need.

18. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Yes, when coupled with his improved shooting.

When he was scrapping on defense and shooting 36% last year, not so much. But if he can maintain 40% or so he's perfect for what we need and definitely top 20.

19. anchel

anchel Member

I value players' level based on how much they help you win, that's it. And there are not 20 PGs in the NBA who will help you more at winning than Pat.

You're underrating the importance of defense, in general; and his charatcer, leadership, and even his offensive habilities by saying that he's an horrendous finisher.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think the fact that he's a perfect fit next to harden makes him look a lot better than he really is.

he is probably the best 3&D PG in the league which is exactly what harden needs. someone who can play D and play off the ball on O.

talent alone, he's top 25. however i'd only trade him for maybe 15 other pg's. so for us, he's top 15ish.