1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Kings fire Mike Malone

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 15, 2014.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Whoever here said Ranadive was "10x smarter" than the rest of us actually had it in reverse: He's 10x stupider (at least when it comes to basketball).

Or maybe he's delusional or on drugs.

Seriously, I have nothing against the guy at all. For me, this stuff adds a little spice to the NBA. If he fails miserably, I will laugh my head off. If he succeeds, I'll give props to him.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

No wonder he went to Ty Corbin :p

Vivek: Kings need a Jazz director

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

^^^ owner's quotes sound like a bunch of bs to defend his moves to the public, almost as if the plan from the start was to eventually dump malone for said new jazz director all along. rrrrright

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Are they looking for some type of Sloan-esque coaching?

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

or perhaps the kings feel frank layden was a more virtuoso maestro. with boogie on double bass, gay on the vibraphone, and stauskas just back from band camp runnin clarinet, it's ova

1 person likes this.
  6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

sounds like hes looking for chip kelly

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Early returns from holiday moves

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

It is great to see what a mess some FO make of their teams. I really am enjoying the Knicks, Lakers and now Kings.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Frankly, I think it was the right choice philosophically speaking. This Kings team was only going to be average or above average. A lower playoff seed at best. They were doing well, but who really cares how well they're doing in mediocrity?

Thetype of coaching Malone brings is excellent for a young team with no identity. It doesn't win championships though. Why wait till Malone becomes more and more connected to the team? Revamp now. Miss the playoffs - big whoop. But at least by this coming summer the team will have already begun implementing a new philosophy, possibly with a new coach if Corbin doesn't do well and the young guys will have an easier time connecting with the direction of the team by the time training camp shows up. Moreover, they will be able to weed out players who don't fit that philosophy going forward.

If you're a team that's running out of time to keep Cousins, it was a good move. It was going to happen eventually. I do think they should have done it sooner though.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Kings front office were part of the Warriors FO back when they were dreadful and gave horrible contracts out to Dunleavy & Troy Murphy.

Vivek should have stuck with Malone

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

How is this a good move to keep Cousins lol? The "defense oriented iso-heavy" style that they criticize so much is a good system for a dominant post big man, it's the same offense that the Rox used when they had Hakeem and when Orland had Dwight, even the lakers used it with Shaq (really all the triangle did was provide spacing and pass it to Shaq or Kobe for the iso).

Running up and down the court doesn't really benefit big men like Cousins, in fact they would usually hate it because after they get the rebound and pass it to the pg they won't touch the ball again, by the time the big man lumbers down the court the shot would have already been taken and he has to go back on D. Kings weren't exactly beating everyone with Malone, they were still on pace for a lottery pick so if they have a solid player there along with Isiah Thomas as Cousins' teammates. Now instead of selling Cousins on the notion that the Kings were slowly building on something, they are just gonna tank and fail horribly.

I mean lots of big market/iconic teams are also tanking and rebuilding, and if you were gonna be in a crappy team anyway it would be better if you went to a glamour team. If you were Cousins, will you stay on a crappy Kings team? Or will you go to a crappy Lakers/Celtics/NYC team?

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I was just about to roast him, thanks. Took the words right out of my mouth. This move was just flat out stupid

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They shot their ownselves in the foot by playing faster therefore diminishing g Cousins presence. He was just shining. You don't take Yao and slap him on a phoenix offense. Sounds the same crap we are doing to Dwight.

14. Entropy

Entropy Member

Yeah but unless Dwight is devoted to the P&R, posting him up isn't the Rocket's best option on offense.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Thats for the staff to fix but you they don't run any plays, plus they are handcuffed to Morey's plankton philosophy.

16. cbk41

cbk41 Member

epic :^)

17. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

But Dwight can play in an uptempo system fine, he doesn't shine in the post like Yao did or Cousins can. They are the dump it in and play inside out types.

I agree with others in saying if you have Cousins on your team you build your offense around him. Post him up and slow it down. This allows the team to setup defensively as well.

Now you are a transition team that is minimizing their best asset and now to boot you are giving up more points on defense.

Yep, that went well.

18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

translation of mgmt. desire for "jazz director":

"Defense wins championships - but since we ain't close to winning any championships, we need a team that's at least more entertaining to watch...."

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/d7WubriEyHw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. conquistador#11

trade for cousins!

c-Cousins
    pf- Howard
    sf- Demo
    sg-ariza
    shooting point guard- harden

points allowed in the paint per game = 4 points