1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Grantland] League exploring schedule changes

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by NotChandlerParsons, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

66 games is ideal: 30 games against the other conference (2 games against each team), 16 games in division (4 against each), 30 games against non-division same conference (3 games against each). Each year, alternate who gets two home games in the non-division same conference games.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I like basketball. I'd rather watch basketball 82 times as opposed to just 62. Hate the idea. I'm a fan... I watch the sport... let me watch more of the sport... so weird to me. "Hey, I love basketball!!!!! Let's have less of it!!!! Yipeeeeee!".

3. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

How are they addressing the imbalance between the conferences?

Every season worthy teams in the West are excluded from the playoffs while lesser teams in the East get to participate.

4. Major

Major Member

30+16+30 <> 66. :)

5. Major

Major Member

Same way as every other sports league: assume it will balance out over time. The vast majority of people simply don't care if the 9th best team in the west gets in the playoffs. Their odds of actually winning an NBA title are pretty remote, so in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter if they get in or some scrub team in the East does.

6. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

one of the back to back games they should cut is playing in Denver on the sec game.

7. B

B Contributing Member

I'd really like to see it so no team ever has 4 games in 5 nights, and try to eliminate 3 games in 4 nights when possible.

Also, not really a big fan of a back to back with one at home and one on the road. It makes sense if you are playing two road teams that are close, but it really takes away some of the home court advantage when you are playing at home after being on the road the previous night.

8. downbytheriver

You're probably young and impulsive.
    In the long run, the 66 game suggestion by jug dish works out perfectly. I can't tell you how many people are put off by the lack of effort and how regular season games are seemingly meaningless. This isn't a fat guy sport like football where people will stay planted no matter what. Fewer games puts a sense of urgency on the players and keeps them fresher / more durable for the playoffs.

You've got a few teams like SA who play well every year and many, many teams who look like they have no idea what they are doing. it's the biggest discrepancy of good and bad teams of any sport so there is a lot of pointless stuff.