1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Jimmermania the real Linsanity?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Good illustration that there are a lot of players in the league who could put up points if given playing time/shots.

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

He will be the next J.J Redick.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I remember questioning why he fell in the draft; then I realized he was just a shooter. Look what happens when you get minutes

1 person likes this.
  5. Carl Herrera

Thanks for inserting the video (I think you did, at least).

Agree about this point. A lot of players can "break out" from a non-rotation guy to a contributor given the opportunity. Jimmer may not get 24 ppg, but he's looking more competent of late. DJ Augustin also went from unwanted in Indy and Toronto to a regular in a half-decent Bulls team.

6. Asian Sensation

LOL at the bench cheering. Carl Landry at 1:48 wutcha doing mane?! And that bearded guy at the end. Too funny.

7. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Anyone drafted can't be compared to Linsanity. By definition it has to include the following:

1) Undrafted
    2) Rags to riches
    3) Winning streak
    4) Insanity

8. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Meh, Linsanity was a better love story than Twilight.

9. dwnkst72

dwnkst72 Member

rags to riches??

10. manny5alive

manny5alive Member

I have always liked his game. The kid just needs the chance to show what he's got on a regular basis.

11. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

Kendall Marshall is another good exemple

12. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Everyone already knows what he can do. He's got unlimited range but he's barely 6'2 and a horrible defender. He'd be better off when playing with a bigger pointguard.

13. calcium

calcium Member

Well, maybe comfortably well off to pretty rich!

I think you have to add "a few days from being cut by NYK"
    to the lore.

14. Carl Herrera

DJ's team is actually winning some games, though. The whole Lakers team is so devoid of talent and injured that it's just giving minutes to a bunch of random guys and losing-- Wes Johnson, Xavier Henry, Jodie Meeks, Jordan Farmar, Ryan Kelly, etc.

15. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

FIFY.

16. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

love that pu3it

17. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

:confused: I thought Linsanity lasted more than one game.

19. SunsRocketsfan

yes a lot of players can put up good number in any given game if given minutes but i think the real challenge is to do it consistently.

In regards to the OP's title. One game did not create Linsanity.. It was several games in which he put up unreal numbers for someone that was undrafted and about to be cut. Lin even broke and set some records for points scored in his first few starts.

Also I just have to note this game was against the god awful NO DEFENSE, I DONT CARE ABOUT WINNING, DYSFUNCTIONAL Knicks.

Regarding Lin who was undrafted, cut by several teams, about to be cut again... streak of 7-15 really good games and a big winning streak on a Knicks team that was crashing, and some record setting numbers in their first career starts, it happened in NY, and yes finally cause he's Asian.. you got Linsanity..

What you have here is just a player that can score but not much of anything else. He had one hot streak in ONE game. Let's see if Jimmer can salvage his career and become the next JJ Reddick.. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since he was stuck on the crappy Kings behind ballhogs and head cases like Tyreke Evans and Thorton. Huge SDSU and Kawhi fan and I always remember Jimmer just lighting us up and killing us every time we played him.

Lets see if he is given the opportunity to keep this going and actually create a streak. Much to early to make any comparisons or claims.

20. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

As the poster above said, other than the Asian thing, the biggest part of Linsanity was the 'coming out of nowhere' thing. Jimmer Fredette was one of the most hyped college basketball players his last year or two and already getting major ESPN time, not to mention a freaking LOTTERY PICK. Draft busts don't qualify for any hype as the result of having a decent game.