1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No need for a high round quarterback

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Look, I understand this will be an unpopular opinion, but I think it's the most likely one....

There is no need for this team to take a quarterback with a high pick. There are too many holes. Also, I've seen enough promise from our two young guys to be satisfied with them going forward. I realize it's a very small sample size. That's just the kind of asterisk that we, as Texans fans, must always endure. I realize people are going to bring up Case Keenum, and I'm fine with that.

Keenum didn't have the same stuff that these two have. In Mallett, you saw someone that could be a master of this offense. Someone that knew exactly how to get the team in the correct position. Had the command to make the calls. Didn't have the accuracy. Something that may be able to be learned, bit should have been learned by now. His games were very Jekyl and Hyde. I'm willing to look past the Bengals game because of the injury. He's supported by the team, and it showed. He gives us a better chance to win than anyone wed get with a 15-20 pick, most likely.

And then you come to Savage... I hope everything checks out, and he can play next week. I was very impressed with most of what I saw today. He's had very little experience throwing the ball in the last four years or so, and when you take that into account, what he did today was impressive, to say the least. He came out with many miscues. Obviously, he doesn't know this offense that well. But he bounced back from them. Made accurate throws. Showed off an arm that was better than I thought. He had great poise in the pocket. He didn't even have Andre Johnson. He was tough. Took some big hits. I'm very excited to see what he can do after some experience. At the very worst, going by what he did today, he will be a very good backup, in my opinion.

I realize this is based on very little, but that's what we get to do as football fans. And as Texans fans, we seemed doomed to eternal hope.

I think we are good with what we've got. I think the Svaage project is a worthwhile one, and I think Mallett far and away gives us the best chance to win now. No rookie will come in and do that for is. We are better off drafting a WR, an inside linebacker, or a defensive end and rolling with what we have and seeing how this plays out.

Here's to Savage's health!

2. Breaker

Breaker Member

Fitz is done with this team I think..

I really like our other two QBs potential though. Unless we have a chance at Connor Cook, we're not gonna have a choice anyways

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Won too many games to get mariota/Winston and the best qbs that are on the block will probably be rg3 and Kap. Maybe the giants cut manning. Who knows.

4. Raven

Raven Member

Ridiculous. The Texans aren't worth ten min of our attention until they get a legit QB. If Mariota enters the draft as the consensus number one, McNair should be aggressive in getting him. If that requires giving up multiple picks, so be it.

5. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Agree! It's not like Rick Smith knows wtf he's' doing with 90% of the picks. Trade Andre or any player outside of Watt / Foster.

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

For the RGIII trade the Redskins traded up from #6 to the Rams at #2. In addition the Redskins gave up their #1 picks in 2013 and 2014, and also an additional 2nd round pick.

So for Mariota, who is very similar to RGIII, the Texans will be moving up from around the 14th-18th pick in the first round to the top 3. I presume they would have to give up their 1st this season and their #1 in the next 4 drafts.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'm still drafting a QB in round 1 or 2. I like mallet, but draft someone to compete with him. I think savage is just a guy, didn't show me anything today that would make me want him back

8. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

I am sure the Texans will not trade the farm for #1 pick for QB.

See RG3 trade how is Washington lookin?

St. Louise trolled them with all the picks as captains for game against them.

At this point, none of the draft QB has the potential as RG3.

It is a crap shot and really only Indy won that one. They Lucked out...

So roll with Mallet and Savage and if a good QB is available at their 1st pick go for it.

Texans are the worse at picking in the draft. If they trade away the farm then all those picks will be all pro and the Texans pick will be a bust or injured. You pick.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I have faith that BOB and the coaching staff know what type of QB (and what level of QB play) it takes to win consistently in this league... he's not going to just take the flashiest arm/hyped up product, but at the same time he's not going to settle for plain garbage.

He was able to have Fitzpatrick (as maligned as he was) playing relatively (for him) mistake free football. He likely can mold somebody with similar smarts, but better peripherals, into a legit QB.

Whether it comes from FA, trade, or the draft.... he knows the clock will start ticking to attempt to fix the QB situation. Kubiak got his after year one. All that being said, once you get your "guy"... your job is also tied into his success/failure.

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Hey does anyone want Ryan mallet's cell number hahaha!

11. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Sorry man I just hear this same stuff every year from fans......... It's all Mediocre talk to me.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Disagree. I've seen nothing from Mariota to convince me that he's nothing better than Griffin. He's had to make little to no NFL throws at Oregon, and when he does, he's got questionable accuracy. No way you mortgage the future for that. Besides,Mallett gives you, arguably, a better chance to win now, as he understands the offense better, and we know he can make NFL throws now. It's debatable, but I'd say Mallett is the more legit NFL quarterback next year. Also, in my opinion, the best quarterback in the draft can be had in the second round (as of now), in Brett Hundley. He'll be the best pro.

13. awc713

awc713 Member

i really hope mariota doesnt fall to TEN...we need them to win against JAX...right now they're slated for the #2 pick.

facing mariota and luck 4 times a year for the next decade does not sound good.

14. Major

Major Member

St. Louis has yet to have a 0.500 record since that trade and they have a giant hole at QB that they have no real way to address - they shouldn't be trolling anyone. RG3 hasn't worked out post-injury, but Washington did have at least one great season in there.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

To be fair, St. Louis thought they had addressed that hole when drafting a QB #1 overall who hasn't lived up to the #1 overall pick... thus they went elsewhere the next time they had a top pick (like most teams do when they've been failed by a highly drafted QB). They can bring back Bradford if they really want, but something tells me they'll look elsewhere.

RG3's "one great season" (if you can really call it that) is so far removed as he no longer has the same coach nor is he likely in the same physical condition... and St. Louis is closer to being a winning team than Washington is.

16. Major

Major Member

Certainly all true. I'm not saying STL made a bad decision. I'm just saying it hasn't gotten them anywhere either, so they shouldn't be trolling anyone else.

If we're talking about getting to 9-7, I agree STL is closer than Washington. But in terms of being a true contender, I really don't think they are in any better shape. Washington has more holes, but St. Louis has a hole at QB and no real way to address it. Washington will potentially have an opportunity again this year to get Winston or Mariota and try their hand at QB Roulette again. If they win it (and that's a big if), they will be in better shape than St. Louis. When you don't havea QB, it's sort of the same situation as the NBA where it's sometimes better to be really bad than to be stuck in perpetual mediocrity.

17. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

I agree. Would love to get an insurance policy quarterback in later rounds or free agency, but this team still needs depth, something a draft does.

18. Major

Major Member

On a side note, I think that trade was the right decision for both sides. STL thought they had a franchise QB, so their next goal was rightfully to build depth around him. And they did succesfully build the depth - they were just wrong about having the QB.

Washington needed a QB in the worst way and thought they had a rare opportunity at a franchise QB. They were right - for a year, until it all fell apart. But his rookie year was arguably the best rookie season by a QB in NFL history. You don't do that by accident, so it's not like they were wrong on their initial evaluation.

Neither team has gotten to where they hoped, but I think it was a smart trade for both sides to address their specific needs.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

By those standards, every team that doesn't have Brady, Manning, Rodgers, or Luck has a "hole" at QB. Hell, teams with supposed franchise QB's could only dream of sniffing 9-7 right now.

I'd say STL is in better shape than San Fran, who could completely collapse when Harbaugh leaves and they're on the hook for Kaep's contract when in fact he is not a true franchise QB.

They've got some similarites to Seattle before it all clicked for them... of course they'll need to find their athletic play-making QB somewhere in the draft (not necessarily in the first round either).

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

How are the Bills and Cardinals able to accomplish more with mediocre QB play? Is the Texan's defense that much worse than theirs?