1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

NRG turf

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by joeson332, Dec 10, 2014.

1. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Sure I'm reaching but at this point who cares, can someone fix that damn turf already? Like can we legit get Houston city officials to get in on this? Any lawyers in here? Fix it Jesus....

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Players/coaches want grass... they stick with grass.

They practice on the artificial turf in the bubble and play on it in half the other stadiums... and the players still prefer "this" version of grass to that.

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

As a fan I also prefer grass just like the players but that doesn't mean the tray system shouldn't be re-visited and improved upon. Also policy could be reviewed as well, especially with scheduling conflicts and field stress. Bottom line, no excuses that the entire organization isn't trying to constantly improve across all levels.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I remember hearing that there is nothing they can do about it while this Brett Hartmann suit is going on. If they switch it now, it will be like admitting there was something wrong with it.

5. joeson332

joeson332 Member

you would think after Hartmann and Wes Welker they would have at LEAST take a look

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Who says they didn't... they probably poll the players/coaches every year, and every year grass wins.

7. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

it will be replaced in the offseason.

no need to make a new thread over it.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I doubt it... they could replace it tomorrow if they wanted to.

9. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

i thought BOB said it would be "evaluated in the offseason". being a new england guy, i took that as "we're changing it".

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I don't get why it's such a big deal to put down field turf.

The natural grass has to be a total pain in the ass to move in and out compared to either just rolling up the turf or putting down a surface for the rodeo to plop its cow poop and dirt on.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

they obviously think the tray system is better than an artificial field turf.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Or he just said that so they'd stop asking him questions about it. And, I remember reading somewhere that they've looked into it a lot over the last several years, and every time it comes up it gets voted down.

The one major move they did was getting field turf for the "other" games there... but yet they still play that annual SHSU game on the grass because those teams prefer the grass to the turf as well (and that game seems to alway be scheduled the night before a noon Texans game).

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Should have gone with the Arizona system.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And if that really is the case, they will probably spend more time looking into a "better" tray system vs. just going to field turf.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Can't... wasn't invented yet.

They may try to look into converting Reliant into something that can accommodate that... but that would also take away prime parking/tailgating/gathering space at one of the end zone areas. Very costly.

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The Arizona system didn't exist......when Reliant was built. The Stadium has to be designed to rollout the field.

17. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

What happens when they put down field turf and players still get injured. Because players do get injured on all surfaces. All types of injuries on every surface you can name.

I dont care if they change the turf. Field turf would probably be easier to maintain. The grass at NRG seems a little slippery at times, but I don't think it's causing injuries.

If I were the Texans, I think I would ask the players what type of surface they want to play on, and then I would go with that. The players have experience playing on different surfaces, so whatever they prefer would be fine by me.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They do, and they have... hence why the system still exists.

Annual surveys show that all NFL players prefer playing on grass... and if this is the only way they can get grass into NRG, than they're going with that. Additionally, the NRG stadium field has never ranked in the bottom 5 of "worst grass fields" in its existence (the fields in Chicago and Pittsburgh usually are nothing but painted dirt by the winter).

Hell, they played one Super Bowl and will be playing another one on this same system... its "danger" has been far overblown thanks to DJ Swearinger of all people.

19. tigereye

tigereye Member

Test it did - Veltins Arena in Germany was opened in 2001, and has a rollout field. Even better than Arizona, it rolls out underneath the stands, so there's no huge gap like in Phoenix.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The tray system isn't a bad system. The execution has been poor. They bought 3 grass fields to improve the grass but they need to step it up. After they bought the field turf it seems the real turf got less attention because of less turnover.

New field every time, every pallet having the level of water, install and roll it out more.

Basically just improve QC. If you have a moist 6 inches of dirt under 2 inches of sod, seams are irrelevant. Roll it out properly.