1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2014]Waiver Wire thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Well, our depth is horrible, as evidenced by the drubbing from San Francisco's backups.

Hopefully, we can find some solid oline and secondary help.

That offensive line is atrocious, though. I'll give the secondary something of a break because we haven't seen the full unit yet.

Good thing we have first choice.

2. 45souf

45souf Member

although our backups are trash, we did hold sf til 14 at half. so theres that

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

14 points per half is 28 points per game.

I wouldn't brag about that.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Being #1 on the waiver priority is going to be huge for us. If we can had 5-7 good depth players, then I'll be a happy camper. There is really no reason why we couldnt accomplish this if the staff has done their homework.

5. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

KC claimed 7 last year that were immediately on the 53, we should be able to do the same.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Question: do we get first pick of ALL players cut? If we sign someone, we don't move the the back of the line on the next one, right?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We have first dibs on anyone cut during the pre-season, there is no going to the back of the line like there is in fantasy football.

8. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

C'mon Minnesota, drop Ponder already.

9. Airdough

Airdough Member

I'd cut the roster down to 40 and then claim everyone else. For that matter, not even sure a two-deep actually exists at the moment.

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

After last night, the Texans should be acutely focused on the waiver wire. The team seriously needs to upgrade their backups.

And, O.K., I am going to say "uncle." Most of you know that I have been one of Case Keenum's biggest supporters. I just knew he was going to succeed after what I saw him do at UH. Well, I was wrong. He has had many chances, and he has not come through. I actually think that there is a good possibility that he will be cut. Frankly, I would cut him if the 49's release the Johnson kid.

Manziel and Keenum are beneficiaries of the "Sumlin System." After last night watching the Aggies blow out SC I am thinking that that system may be more responsible for their success in college than I thought.

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

this aint fantasy football bro :grin:

12. MystikArkitect

Was thinking the same thing. Heard them explaining how Sumlin engineered a game plan to benefit a mentally weak (rookie) QB. Keenum looks like he has dumb in his brains at this level and if I was a Browns fan I'd be looking at Keenum like that patient looked at the rat in Flowers for Algernon.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I gotta admit, there's no longer a case for Keenum. He had his opportunity and he straight up blew it. The deep pass attempt to Posey was the last straw....if he can't do better here, he needs to go.

14. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

how does the contract situation work on a waiver claim? Do we take on that players full salary that they were due from their previous team?

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I hope Im not speaking out of my ass when I say, yes, we take on the contract of the player. If a cut player goes through waivers without getting picked up, they become free agents and will require a new contract with a new team.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's my understanding as well.

17. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I believe the team that cuts the player still pays the guaranteed money and the team taking on the contract has to pay the difference. Assuming that there was any guaranteed money.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Touche....

19. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member