1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

google duo for apple and android

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OmegaSupreme, Aug 16, 2016.

1. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Pretty neat, downloaded and will see how it works. Good reviews so far from Android.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I was just about to say that FaceTime makes this pointless on the iPhone, but if it's less clunky than apps like Tango it could really help out with chatting between Apple and Android devices.

4. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

just d/led it when I got to work, simple interface, straight to the point as far as calling others, of course nobody on my contacts list has it installed since every number had "invite" next to it

now waiting on Allo to be released

EDIT: OS, you are now on top of the list, lol

5. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Pros:

Simple, easy to use and the knock knock is fun but could possibly be abused if you have devious friends. Video Quality is smoother than hangouts.

No need for google account to sign up.

Cons:

Can't use on more than one device. I was able to register my wifi tablet using my cell's number but after a while it either knocks your phone off or your wifi tablet off after awhile so you can't make and receive calls on multiple devices.

no desktop client which I rarely used on hangouts but when I did it was very convenient.

Have to reinvite folks all over again. I'm not sure folks are ready to jump on a new video app with so many in use already (hangouts, facebook messenger, whatspp, etc)

6. OmegaSupreme

that's my hope. my family is mostly iphone users so this would definitely help. hopefully this will be one of the stock apps that's pre-installed on android phones to help gain traction and iphone users install because of their friends on android.

knock knock is definitely getting turned off. only noticed dave2000 being the only contact so far, but it was just released this morning. will send a few invites out daily.

7. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

update: The handoff from wifi to mobile hasn't worked once for me. the video stays paused and never picks up again. Has anyone else had better luck with it?

8. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Interested to try it. Hope it's as good as advertised.

9. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

So far, Dave's the only one on my list. I only know like 3 people that even know about it before today though.

10. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Another Google made messaging app destined to fail. RIP Google Talk

11. OmegaSupreme

nah. pretty sure it'll be a stock app on all of android phones... not just nexus. so it'll be on a billion devices shortly. and that's not including ios users.

of course the same thing was likely said about hangouts, but it tried waaay to hard to be an all-encompassing SMS, MMS, vid chat, WiFi calling overly complicated clusterphock. there's no wonder why the new stock messaging app was released shortly thereafter. i think duo's simple one/two click to video and allo will fix that.

i knew quite a few ios users on hangouts. i don't doubt that'll be the case here either.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What is allo?

13. OmegaSupreme

will be one of google's 2,759 currently active messaging apps due to be released on the 22nd. will likely be aosp bound. it's supposed to compliment allo. meant to separate vid chat from SMS/MMS. will be an iMessage competitor.

14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

For Android, it's great.

For iPhone, if an Android user calls them, the phone has to be unlocked in order to answer the call, which is stupid (haven't tested iPhone user to iPhone user). Hopefully that bug can be fixed.

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The non multi device support is a pretty big flaw in the whole thing.

Also google needs to merge all of these messaging apps. This should be integrated into hangouts or preferably the phone app. iOS still wins for how deep the facetime integration is into the OS.

There are also some other rough edges (the handoff issue was already pointed out). But that will get fixed over time.

Also, Google needs to suck it up and finally support windows apps. I realize W10 Mobile is useless (and Google has no interest in helping it) but building good desktop apps is important if Google wants to keep up with Apple on these types of integrations. Apple has a complete ecosystem and Google is just throwing away the desktop market out of spite for Microsoft. Both companies need to hug it out and move on and both stand to benefit.

16. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm a Hangouts iOS user and that app itself is great. I find myself using WhatsApp more and more often for communication with non-iPhone users, especiailly out of the states.

Carriers need to implement that VOLTE WiFi standard already so we can natively video call each other using whatever stock app we have on each device.

17. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Link for confirmed allo release?

18. OmegaSupreme

i'd have to have to search through a couple of days of google+ posts and i'd prefer not to. wasn't mentioned by any of the major blogs, but by a couple of folks who would be in the know. with the news today from telus that nougat would be released also on that day, it would make that date for allo mentioned a day or two ago a bit more plausible, eh?

19. ubigred

20. ubigred

Dhalsim