1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I know the chances are remote, but Steve Nash should absolutely be Rockets top target

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

in a trade.

A bit of interesting news from Arizona: Steve Kerr to fly to NYC to meet with Nash and his agent Bill Duffy. Nash can sign an extension, but "wants to see how the Suns off-season moves unfold" first.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/06/17/20090617sunsnash0618.html

I know the Suns seem absolute keen on keeping him, even while they are shopping Shaq and Stoudemire, but if either they decide to start over again, or that Nash decides he doesn't want to stick around past next year, there might just be the opening to get him (and rumor had it the Rockets made a run for him in February). Nash and Yao, by the way, have the same agent.

Anyhow... out of all the possibilites for the Rockets, Steve Nash is absolutely the one who will address this team's biggest concerns-- the tendency to fall into scoring droughts-- better than anyone else. You look at the Suns numbers, and they are an offensively efficient team, but they get much worse offensively whenever Nash sits. He is a major difference maker, and has a reasonable $13 million contract for what he brings to the table.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The scoring drought will be solved, but I have my doubts whether he will want to play in a half court setting with Yao. He can run the pick and roll with Amare and adjusted to Shaq after having initial problems with him. His preference is to run which isn't Yao's strong suit. Nash also is likely to concede as many points that he scores. We are still skewed towards defense which though critical in not enough,however Nash is a one sided player.

3. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

No question that nash would make our offense better, but an offense based around Yao is still won't mesh well with Nash's skills. Nash is best in a fast-paced offense. He will make us better by providing good entry passes to yao, but I don't see how a Yao offense can relly benefit a player of Nash's ablilities. We would basically be paying him for what he is, but playing him him in a way a player worth half his contract would play.

Also, he has defense issues. I love the Rock's defene and wouldn't want that to change.

4. hasan08

hasan08 Member

The biggest upside to having nash is it will be hard to front yao as nash can create or even take it to the room or if open...a guranteed 3..he is the type of guy that can get us over the top in my opnion....he is also a good closer with nash and resign artest and wafer...I think we have a perfect team....mcgrady for nash and fillers....get it done...they get there expirings for 2010

5. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

If we had Dwight Howard instead of Yao Ming, I could see some logic in acquiring Nash, but as it stands now I wouldn't want him as our PG.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Nash excels in an fast paced run and gun system with no emphasis on defense.

We play a slow half court game with heavy emphasis on defense.

If McGrady alone nets you a Nash, cool, but putting a package together to land him would almost certainly cost you Brooks, which probably wouldn't even make the Rockets better.

The only was I see a Nash trade making the Rockets better is if you get Amare or Richardson also, but I doubt that ever happens.

7. rocketman5803

rocketman5803 Member

I think he is quite good for transition ,but I am afraid he is not fit for half-court play.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

nash disliked the half-court slow down, disciplined offense that terry porter attempted to implement.

nash would fit perfectly with our second unit b/c they run, run, and run some more. but with yao and the starters, nash's style would conflict. the purpose when yao is in the game is to slow the game down and try to get him the ball. i don't know if nash can fit that style.

plus, his defense is beyond atrocious even when he tries. his defense borderlines that of damon jones. with brooks, at least we have his quickness to negate some of the quicker PGs; or lowry's strength to counter some of the stronger PGs. nash has neither.

PG isn't our weakness. our weaknesses are a playmaking/creating wing + backup C.

9. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

I would be completely happy with Nash as our PG. As long as we don't have to give up to much for this to happen I stand behind it 100%.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Didn't the Rockets try to get him at the trade deadline? I wouldn't mind trading Brooks and fillers(T-Mac?) for Nash and fillers. I guess if Phoenix only get youngsters in a Amare trade, then they likely would unload Nash too.

As for Nash fitting in, I don't see why not. Yao has never prevented coaches from trying to push the tempo when he's around. It's always been T-Mac and Alston that never want to run. Plus Adelman's offense is a lot more interesting than what Porter runs, even in the half court. Nash would certainly improve our offense dramatically.

My only concern would be his age, really. I'm not sure how long he can keep up this level of play. Defense isn't much of a concern, given our defensive abilities elsewhere on the floor.

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I'm sure Phoenix has some sort of "Hey, let's try to make up for years of terrible management decisions by trying to pilfer as much young talent for our 36-year-old PG as possible!" mindset.

If the asking price is reasonable, i'm all ears.

12. saleem

Yao isn't opposed to pushing the tempo, but Nash will have to adjust to a slower game. I doubt if he would want to do that.

13. worzel gummidge

Instead, Kerr wants to trade Amare and extend Nash's contract.

14. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

If people don't want Nash on this forum, then why do those same people want Ricky Rubio?

Ricky Rubio is the European version of the MVP-lite Steve Nash, based on hype.

I don't want Rubio BECAUSE he is exactly like Nash.

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Amare? Yeah, Amare is gone at some point either this summer or before February. Nash, on the other hand, I have a hunch is just as available. I'm sure Kerr is doing the math here: declining team + 36-year-old PG = ______. Where does that leave you? Is the plan to hang onto Nash until he retires, thereby sacrificing any opportunity to change him for younger talent, or do you make a move now in the midst of a buyer's market?

Kerr may be saying all the right things in regards to Nash but I have a hard time believing he's not available. It goes without saying that Nash has been the backbone of that team for the last five years. With Phoenix brass being attacked left & right the way that they are, it's necessary to at least portray some sense of identity. My guess is this whole extension thing is just a front so it appears that keeping this "backbone" makes it look like they're still serious about winning.

16. blender

blender Member

Nash could work here given what Adelman was trying for with the starters last season. Adelman attempted to compensate for Yao's slowness by getting the rest of the players to first push the pace and look for a quick scoring opportunity. If there was nothing, they'd wait for Yao and set up a low-post offensive set for their plan B.

IMO, a PG like Nash could be very effective in this kind of two-pronged system. However, he might need more offense in his starting wings than Battier and Artest to make it really work.

17. saleem

I don't know if he is exactly like Nash,but I'm not in favor of getting him. Deron and Billups are the kind of point guards that Yao can play better with IMO.

#17 saleem, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

To all you guys questioning Nash's fit on this team let me remind you that Morey covets the guy. Thats enough to sell me.

19. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Rubio is considered a good defender (at least in Europe) and is a bad shooter atm. Nash is a bad defender and a GREAT shooter. Not exactly the same.

20. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

Nash would be great to have on the team but he's passed his prime and I don't think he'll be playing at a high level for long esp. with the Rockets. I would rather have Amare Stoudemire cause he's way younger and he would be a great fit playing next to Yao Ming.