1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cable/Satellite Company?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

What cable/satellite company do you have, and how do you like it? Or, as I suspect a decent amount of you did, did you cut the cord?

Me, I have Dish Network. Just ordered the Hopper 3 to be installed Thursday.

I had called yesterday about lowering my bill, which had ballooned to over $130 a month. Now, I've been with Dish since I moved out of my parents' house, which was about 9 years ago, so I felt I had some leverage. I did the whole threaten to switch thing, and ended up lowering my bill by $50 a month AND adding the Hopper for no fees and no new contract. I did shut off two of my TVs, though, which I only use when company is staying over, which is hardly ever.

I ended up calling Direct TV on a whim to see prices and deals. The guy was working the salesman pitch, hardcore, and ended up taking down my details and wanting to run my credit. I told him no, and to slow down, just give me the general prices. He would only say, "I KNOW I can save you money, but you have to let me sign you up so I can tell you how much." Basically, told me for literally twenty minutes that I was odd for not letting him run my credit. I explained to him I knew what my credit score was, and would give it to him if he could then tell me what I qualified for, and he said no. I told him I just bought a car and didn't want my credit to take another hit for something I may not even get. The guy was a straight up dick, and was blaming it all on me, basically berating me for not letting him run my credit. I hadn't even talked to my wife about it, and simply was not going to do that. That wasn't a good enough answer for him.

Basically, I will now never have Direct TV, ever because of this guy at a call center. He kept me on the phone for 24 minutes belittling me for not letting him run my credit so he could talk prices with me. Wouldn't even give me his name. I ended up hanging up on him.

Best customer service 15 years running, my ass.

Don't ever sign up for Direct TV.

/rant

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Pretty sure that they run a soft pull. I could be wrong though.

I think their main goal is to see if you've burned them in the past.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Don't rule out Direct TV because of that jerkhead. How the decision affects you is too important. You should have cut him off after 5 mins.

I have U-Verse and they are pointing people to Direct TV. Besides HD picture quality, can anyone give me an idea how these two stack up against each other? I've heard Direct TV goes out often during storms. Is that true? Seems like a deal-breaker.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

DirecTV by far has the best quality of service. They use a higher frequency which is more susceptible to rain fade. however this higher frequency allows more bits and bytes to be pushed through, which allows them to have the better picture quality. Its certainly an issue if you're in a place with lots of storms (Florida for example).

In the past, Dish had the better receivers. I dont know if this is still true.

Having worked in the industry in the past, I strongly dislike Dish. While most corporations are greedy, Dish takes it to a whole new level. This is why they are in contract disputes and frequently have channel disruptions.

5. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I had Dish for about 8 years and now have had Direct for about 1.5. I will not go back to Dish. I had issues with receivers, I had issues with how they installed my dish, I had issues getting things resolved with customer service and they absolutely would not upgrade me to a hopper without me paying $200. Not even when I changed over did they offer that. With direct, I have had relatively few rain outages, with Dish they were pretty often. I also had issues with my dish losing HD channels randomly. When it would I had to do a refresh which took about 10 minutes. I also had to eventually have a second dish mounted to my house pointing in the opposite direction to pick up local HD channels. I switched to Direct to get RootSports and I have been happy with them. My current bill is $5 more than what it was with DISH but it was half during that first year.

6. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

DirecTV has the best picture quality of any provider that is available in Houston. (Keyword there being in Houston. Verizon/Frontier FIOS and Google Fiber have the highest bandwidth allotment per channel)

Also, I'm not sure why you had to call someone to get pricing. DirecTV is now owned by AT&T. Just go to https://www.att.com/shop/tv/directv.html

All the prices are displayed there, and they now do include up to 4 receivers in the price, and guarantee the price for 24 months, instead of what they used to do which is give you a special for 12 months, and lock you into a 24 month contract.

7. Scionxa

Besides picture quality, DirecTV is going to continually receive updates to it's platform. AT&T is killing off Uverse slowly.

You also get better equipment with DirecTV than those crappy Windows based boxes Uverse customers get.

If your dish is properly aligned, it should only go out in severe thunderstorms so that is not so much of an issue as it was before.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Weird. I searched for a package using my neighbors address (because I don't like putting my address anywhere I don't have to) and it said it only qualifies for 18 mbps internet. That didn't sound right, so I put in my address and it said I qualify for 45 mbps internet.

Bizarre.

Also, boo to them offering no 12-month or monthly plans. All are 24 months with the internet price increasing after 12 months - and what's worse - all of the internet packages come with a 600GB data limit.

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Anyone have Comcast and are happy with them? I'm leaving Uverse after a decade with them. My bill went from $150 to $255 this past month. I'm not paying that for slow ass internet ($69.99 FOR 18mbps) and crappy picture. Also, I can rarely even get WiFi just one room away, it constantly cuts out. I also seem to have to replace a box every 3 months. I'll be watching something and the my receiver goes out saying it has lost its signal, then it's a 20 minute reboot. Uverse has just turned into complete **** and they do not want to negotiate on pricing. I also prefer not to go to Direct TV as they are now AT&T. A coworker has it and has to pay something like $60/month to get NFL Redzone during football season, and her bill after the first year is around $240 WITHOUT internet. No thanks.

10. Scionxa

In regards to the 600gb data limit. Would you ever get close to that amount?

My Gigapower limit is 1TB and I never get close.

[​IMG]

11. Scionxa

Sounds like you need to speak with retentions.

For someone's cable bill to be $240 a month without internet would mean they're either rolling over a monthly balance, or they have a ton of TV's, and a legacy plan.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm actually satisfied with my Comcast package.

Negotiated over an hour with a door to door Comcast saleswoman.* It was hot as **** that afternoon and I decided to use that to my advantage, not inviting her in or offering any water as I watched her slowly die.

Eventually got the 105 Mbps and mid level TV + HBO in a 12 month contract. Of course got the X1 HD DVR cuz obviously. My total bill, taxes included, is $105 / month. I use my own modem and router.

She pushed hard for the phone and security system, and also pushed hard for a 24 month contract. In fact, after we had agreed to everything I saw she wrote '24' down as the contract length. I tore the whole thing up and had her write up a new one. (I realize that was kind of an ******* move on my part but I was pretty f***ing pissed that she did that, deliberate or not.)

But I just have it on one TV. That's all I needed, but to add another TV was like $10-15 more a month.

*In my experience these people give the best deals. I had worked with one a year prior and was really close to getting a great deal but in hindsight I was being unreasonable in what I was asking for (basically the same package as above but on 3 TVs).

1 person likes this.
  13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I honestly don't know, but my wife watches a ton of Netflix when we're at home during the weekends. She likes to go through entire series. Has them on even when she's not watching it; just uses it as background noise I guess. Currently it's Charmed, which is without a doubt the worst show of all time.

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

What is so good about this receiver? Do you use the voice control? I do like the being able to record 6 shows at once while watching another. Uverse I get two. If I'm recording 3 I have to watch one. What's the point?

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I probably don't even use it to its full ability, but yes I do use the voice search. It's very accurate.

Xfinity has such a huge on-demand library (although most of it is garbage) and this helps when searching for stuff.

Being able to record so many things at once is great since we only have 1 TV. I think we were recording 5 things last night while watching something else.

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I had directv for years. It was the best, but it was too expensive to get the channels I liked. They made me deals to lower my bill a couple of times, and I stayed with them for two years longer than I was going to because of all they did for me.

Maybe in the more than 10 years I had it, it went out on me once for about 15 minutes.

When I went cut down to just basic channels plus a few more, Time Warner was way cheaper, and I could bundle the internet I already got from them with the cable, and helped even more.

The service isn't as good as Directv. I still can't TennisTV without paying an extra $10 a month. And even if I did get it, it wouldn't be as good as the TennisTV on Directv because of Directv's multi-channel deal.

Directs's DVR and genie is better than what I have for Time Warner as well.

But Time Warner is cheaper and good enough for me so I stay with them. If money was no issue I would have Directv.

17. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Same here. It's kind of a pain in the ass to have to always negotiate a new deal when the current one expires, but a small price to pay to lock in a good rate. I had been getting HBO free for the last two years, and today I was able to keep that plus Starz, they waived the DVR fee, upgraded my second box to the X1 platform (waived the fees involved in that) and added phone, all for what seems like the same price I had been paying. Phone I don't really need, but considering the other concessions they gave me, I didn't push it.

Never had quality issues aside from a service outage on rare occasions.

18. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

A+ negotiating skills, bro.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I had the same problem with Direct TV, they refused to even give me an estimate without running my credit. It just came off extremely shady.

I'd been using UVerse for probably 6 years and called to renegotiate and they basically just matched Comcast's offer so I just cancelled TV service. Screw that.

I signed up for Playstation Vue and have used it for several weeks. Only issues I've had is it doesn't have CBS and some of the recorded shows are cut off if the local news interrupts for weather or whatever.

$30 a month for Vue plus $50 for Internet. I already have a long range intenna for network TV stuff.

#19 CometsWin, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  20. Scionxa

Yup, this is my current setup.

However I think the $44 Vue Plan is worth the extra money.