1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Atlanta game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Live, Mar 6, 2001.

1. Live

Live Member

I'm probably going to get slammed for writing this, but Wed.'s game against the Hawks scares me. The Rockets' don't traditionally do well in Atlanta. Anyone remember a few seasons ago when the Rockets had a chance to pull out a victory in Atlanta, Maloney or Price was bringing the ball up with under a minute left and the Rockets behind by 1 or 2, and he was called for a 10 second violation. [​IMG]

The Hawks also present some significant matchup problems for the Rockets:

1. Toni Kukoc - Another matchup against a big man with range and versatility. He has always been a pain for the Rockets, they can never seem to find anyone to matchup with him. And now, he's finally on a team that is running their offense through him, which makes him double tough. Shandon has to come out aggressive offensively and take adavantage of the league's best matador.

2. Size - The Hawks' big men aren't the most talented in the league, but they're rugged, rebound well, and give good effort. Against a small team like the Rocks, they can definitely have an impact. Here is where Cato could be important, but we all know about relying on Cato.

3. Jason Terry - This guy has to be the league biggest surprise and has really emerged this year as a scorer and play-maker. He has the greenest of lights on offense, and will shoot often Wed. But more importantly, it's going to be important for Steve, Cat, and Mooch to avoid a personal battle with Terry, which is a trap all three tend to fall into, and maintain discipline.

Thoughts?

------------------

2. Band Geek Mobster

If we can't handle the Hawks then we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

(Of course I thought I could say the same thing about the Clippers too)

------------------
    Cause I'm a twenty first century digital boy.
    I don't know how to read, but I got a lot of toys.
    My daddy's a lazy middle class intellectual.
    My mommy's on valium, so ineffectual.
    Oh Oh, ain't life a mystery?

3. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

A very LARGE reason the Rockets have some trouble with the Hawks was due to Mt. Mutombo. He is gone. I fully expect Hakeem to rule the paint and teach Lorenzen Wright a thing or two. Also, this may help the tenacity of our guards penetration. They won't have the shot blocking presence in the paint, and will have to settle less for perimeter shots.

Sounds simple, but it is!

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

4. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Hawks should not be hard to beat.

Jason Terry: They use him like Iverson, running him through picks out top to set up his sweet jumpshot. If you thought the rockets had a small backcourt, Atlantas is TINY.

Brevin Knight- No jumpshot, not a good ballhandler, but is a decent defender.

Toni Kukoc- sudden offensive "surge" is a fluke. He is still the slow Kukoc I know. Shandon should have no problems with him, unless he posts up, at which time the Rockets should double him and let the double teamer be the guy guarding Brevin Knight.

Lorenzen Wright- nice player, doesnt have much of a post up game, but can rebound and defend.

Nazr Muhammed- plays center

Game plan should be feed hakeem early and often, and if they double the guards will eat them up.

------------------

[This message has been edited by tacoma park legend (edited March 06, 2001).]

5. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Remember, no-name role players like the whole Atlanta roster often have huge games against the Rockets. They can NOT overlook anyone. Not when they need every win they can get.
    Rockets win by only 6,
    96-90. They then lose to the Clips the next day, 100-89.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

6. Valio!

Valio! Member

I agree that the rockets have a habit of letting inferior teams hang around - still, I think we're going to handle this without much trouble..
    Rockets 108
    Hawks 94

We will also beat the Clips (shame on you, ZRB! [​IMG])

Rockets 102
    Clips 92

------------------
    "I hate every ape I see - from chimpan-a to chimpanzee. No, you'll never make a monkey out of me." - From the 'Planet of the Apes' musical on the Simpsons

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Biggest game of the year, by far. I'm nervous as hell for obvious reasons.

------------------
    www.swirve.com...The reason Al Gore invented the internet.

8. Sane

Sane Member

If this game is a problem, then we're very screwed.

I think the Rocks will go 4-1, losing to Golden State, but beating Phoenix.

Tonight though we win....

Rocks 94
    Hawks 87

Cuttino 21pts, 4reb, 2assts, 1stl
    Francis 14pts, 9asts, 9reb, 3stls, 2blk
    Hakeem 17pts, 7reb, 4blk
    Mo 12pts, 4reb

------------------

9. Toast

Toast Member

Aw, c'mon. If you're gonna predict player lines, make us all happy and predict a double double for Dream.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

10. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Well, its a problem early. The Rockets are throwing sloppy passes, and generally playing with very little energy. 24-14 Hawks. If the Rockets lose this game, I will be ashamed.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

11. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Now 29-19. Brevin Knight has his jumper, and Kukoch is scoring easily. Sorry TPL.

------------------

12. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

33-21. Stunning.

------------------

13. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

Live, you must be a prophet!

PSJ

------------------
    Millenium blastoff is Imminent!!!
    Rocks are in the hiz - ouse!!

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, ZRB, you didn't quite predict the score correctly, but you got the margin of victory right. LOL! [​IMG]

------------------
    "I was arrested for sexual assault involving an elderly man and I was out in 35 minutes." -- Achebe - programmer by day, geriatric ass grabber by night. As(s?) a side note, he did state he was cleared of charges.

15. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

What was that ZRB? [​IMG] sorry TPL?

------------------

16. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

That's true isn't it. I didn't realize.

------------------

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Come on guys...we have nothing to lose, as fans.

Realistically we have a VERY SLIM shot at the playoffs.

4 games is a lot to make up, with less then 25 games to play.

DaDakota

------------------
    Go Jazz *

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/011403.html

18. Live

Live Member

It's going to be very important for the Rocks to come out strong and exert themselves early. It could be a blowout if they do, but they can also be blown out tonight if they don't.

Like I wrote earlier, Atlanta isn't the greatest or most talented team in the league, but they play hard, rebound well, and are physical. They are just the type of team that, especially if the Rocks underestimate them, can give Steve & Co. BIG problems.

The keys to the game are:

1. Dream, Mo and the rest of the big men HAVE to hit the boards tonight.

2. Shandon has to come out aggressive on offense and make Kukoc play both ends.

3. No turnovers, no turnovers, no turnovers!! (Not just loosing the ball, but also no dribbling out the clock, forcing shots, etc.)

------------------

19. Live

Live Member

No, I'm not a prophet, otherwise I would have won last night's lottery. [​IMG]

Good win by the Rocks! [​IMG]

------------------