1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Warriors) working on RAY ALLEN for vet min

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ClearLakeTX, Jul 5, 2016.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

why not Dell Curry coming out of retirement to join them?

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I wouldn't trust a Ray Allen three over Curry and Thompson or even Green these days.. They don't need this guy..

3. mig0s

mig0s Member

He's 40 years old lol

4. Eric00009

Eric00009 Member

He is too old

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Tinman, I think you are onto something right there.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is kind of ridiculous but it sort of seems like the Warriors are kind of directionless.

I know that statement makes absolutely no sense, in the light of the Durant coup, but hear me out.

Last year basically it seemed like the Warriors had their own formula - "strength in numbers" - which, based on the otherwordly shooting of Curry and to a lesser extent Thompson, surrounded those guys with tons of Swiss army Knife, interchangeable parts type players - Green, Iguodala, Barnes, Livingston - all capable of playing, defending multiple positions and which allowed the Warriors to play almost the exact same way regardless of who was on the floor and swap out their guys liberally.

That's what "strength in numbers" was all about, and that is what technolibertarian dip**** Joe Lacob has been preening about for the last year.

Now it seems like they're going the opposite route, the LeBron-Heat/Cavs route - get a bunch of stars and surround them with vet minimum role players.

In the last 12 months they have acquired Varejao, David West, Pachulia, and are now looking at Chalmers and Ray Allen? Seems like a definite departure from peak Warriors (which was - pretty goddamned amazing, games 5-6-7 collapse notwithstanding)

Conclusion - the warriors are doomed. Well, not really. But it is kind of odd given all of their bluster earlier this year to completely change models.

7. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I think strength in numbers actually means everyone has an equal voice, it's a team game, shots don't matter except for the best shot, there are no superstars...

They still have Curry, Klay, AI, Livingston, Green. Just replaced Barnes with Durant.

And no, they didn't play the same way regardless of who was on the floor. When it was the bench, the offense ran through Livingston ISOs in the post often, or Speights mid range pop shots off penetration. I do agree, that defensively they played the same scheme. I don't think Durant changes that except make it better (Durant is a superior defensive player than Barnes)

8. Classic

Classic Member

sounding like the 2004 lakers

9. Nook

Nook Member

They are directionless.

They are not nearly as good defensively. For as big an ******* as Bogut is, he is an elite defender at the 5. He switches as willingly and as well as any center in the NBA. He gave them size and strength and limited the effectiveness of teams going big and bullying them inside. Offensively he was an elite screener and passer.

Zaza will pass well (not as well) and be a good screener. He will not help them at all defensively. Green is a very good defender alternating between the perimeter and post but he isn't an anchor and will be exposed somewhat without that elite post defender at the 5. Curry's defense will be questioned more this year as he will not get the help in the middle. Durant is fine defensively but he isn't as good as Barnes. Also there is only one basketball and 4 guys now on the perimeter, possibly 5 with Zaza. If Curry doesn't get penetration, it won't matter who there is on the perimeter.

I get why they got Durant, a top 4-5 player without question, but the Warriors now have holes and more weaknesses than last year. Teams can go big against them now. Durant may find himself playing inside more than he likes.

To plug the holes they are just looking for names. Ray Allen is a terrible fit at 40. Another player that cannot defend or penetrate, camping on the perimeter. You saw what happens when the Warriors don't get penetration to set up shooters... You get Curry and Thompson taking 30 foot runners while LeBron James just pushed the ball into the teeth of the Warriors neutered defense.

10. Nook

Nook Member

The idea that strength in numbers means everyone gets a voice is BS. Everyone knew who the stars on the Warriors and what the pecking order was, like every single other team in the NBA. They won the last few years because of talent and players that complimented each other.

Also Barnes is nowhere near the player Durant but he is the better defender.

Also there is a glaring defensive hole inside now.

The Warriors will likely win at least another title; but the offense is going to flow through their star players.

11. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Yeah, obviously, Klay for instance understands he's below Curry in the 'pecking order' but if you watched the Warriors like I have (pretty much every game) the last two years, and especially this year when the offense was largely run through Green

Green hits the open man, or the guy he thinks will be the best scoring opp. There were very few times when he forced the ball to Curry with an open Klay elsewhere.... This is strength in numbers, taking the best shot, no matter who it is.

It just so happens, If both Klay and Curry are open for 3 (open is pretty much all the time for these two here) Curry is the better shot 9/10.

I agree that they have and had superior talent than most teams. Not many teams can trot out 3 players that are top 3 in their position (and now 4)...

I also agree, they will miss Bogut a lot... I'd be surprised if they don't win 2-3 more titles the next few years. You won't see a situation where Klay and Green get raises before their deals are up, so the Warriors will be able to afford to keep pretty much everyone. Not to mention, they have 2 players in the pipeline (Mccaw and Looney) who will be at the very least top options off the bench.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think they are "directionless." Their turnover isn't even that much considering how much every team turns their roster over each year. They have 5 out of their top 6 players returning in terms of minutes played. The one they left is #4 Barnes, to be replaced by Durant.

Durant, I think, is actually better than Barnes defensively when he devotes energy to that end of the floor. In the playoffs, he was quite the rim protector for OKC. With the Warriors, I imagine he won'at have to expend nearly as much energy on offense and can use some for D.

Among the other guys to be replaced, the only important one is Bogut (who played 1400 or so minutes) and Zaza +West are more than solid as far as big guys go. The rest are really not much more than what they can find to replace them. They are not shot blockers, but they are good positional defenders, charge-takers and rebounders.

I do worry a bit about the supporting cast being too much on the older side-- which was a problem for Miami. Couldn't find useful youth/energy injection. Though the McCaw kid looked nice in summer league.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Amass the greatest shooters in history

give Reggie a call, who else? Peja?

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

[​IMG]

15. MGC

MGC Member

Sources: 59 years old Larry Bird considers leaving the Indiana Pacers to come out of retirement and play for the Golden State Warriors.

16. James Hardashian

James Hardashian Contributing Member

Warriors trying to go 82-0 nex season!

17. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

I think they barely get 65 this year tbh