1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

For the Rockets to get the 7th, I imagine Dallas must lose their next two and Utah must lose against the Lakers. This is what I'm really hoping for even if it's a small chance, but think it's possible. Utah is tough at home, and Kobe and the Lakers aren't going to want to lose Kobe's final game ever, I would imagine. Spurs, even without their starters are still formidable against a not-so-good team like the Mavs.

Like everyone else I don't want to play the Warriors in the first round, but I really want to play the Spurs because we've never played them in the postseason while Duncan was with the team and that bothers me. Besides, upsetting San Antonio seems more possible than GS.

If not then we should just miss the damn playoffs. Are you also wishfully thinking for a 7th seed, or thinking we can somehow shock the Warriors, or missing the playoffs and getting the 14th pick (again)?

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sorry to burst your bubble, but we can't get the 7th seed.

It requires a three-way tie, and Jazz have the tie-breaker on three-way ties. (Tie-breaker is winning % of H2H between the three teams.) If all three teams end up 41-41, Jazz and Rockets make it. Dallas is booted.

props to poster COMPAQ CENTER for pointing this out.

3. bratna8

bratna8 Member

That'll be 84 games :eek::grin:

I'd rather have Jazz lose tonight to get it over with. And lose to the Lakers as well, cause as you know, it'll be tough for our team to go 2-0. :grin:

4. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Would'nt Dallas and Jazz have to lose tonight? :grin::grin:

5. Eleazucena

Eleazucena Member

I think you're wrong..
    If Mavs win against the Jazz they will have the 7th seed (42-40)
    If Jazz win against the Mavs they will have the 7th seed (41-41, regardless if they lose against the lakers)

Jazz being 41-41 I think will have the upper seed from the tiebreaker.

7th Jazz (41-41)
    8th Rockets (41-41)
    9th Mavs (41-41)

or

7th Mavs (42-40)
    8th Rockets (41-41)
    9th Jazz (40-42)

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If Mavs win tonight, they seal 7th seed. You are correct there.

But, Mavs can still lose to Jazz and get 7th seed. They are 1 game up today. If both teams go 1-1, they remain 1 game up. There is no tie-breaker if Mavs retain their 1 game lead.

Jazz have to beat the Mavs, and not lose that game back on the last day to get 7th seed.
    Rockets cannot get 7th seed.